Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: how to copyright?

how to copyright?

Hi all i was wondering how do you copyright your own images do you do it on Photoshop or do you have somebody do it? thanks Lucas

Program Coordinator
    The copyright, as I understand it, is conferred to you simply by snapping the shutter. In order to add it in to the photos metadata, it can depend on the camera you have, but most cameras have the ability for you to enter your name into the camera which automatically enters it into the metadeta. As for photoshop, I think you do it, but I don't know how. Do you have lightroom?

I think he may be talking about a watermark but I am not sure, what exactly are you looking to do?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Sounds like he wants to know how to add a watermark.

Just google "adding copyright watermark to my pictures in photoshop" you will get a ton of links
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

There is also a way to have your work registered in copyright....and additional level of protection that makes it easier for you to pursue infringement cases. I'll have more details and assistance on this soon.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Phil, as per US Copyright Laws, you are immediately protected as soon as [you] press the shutter, no need to do anything further. However you are welcome to send copies of your images to the US Copyright office for further proof and to make it easier to fight in court, but it is not required!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Phil, as per US Copyright Laws, you are immediately protected as soon as [you] press the shutter, no need to do anything further. However you are welcome to send copies of your images to the US Copyright office for further proof and to make it easier to fight in court, but it is not required!
    Yep not to mention it's not free.

http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Right and right. :)

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Yep not to mention it's not free.

http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html
    but that fee pays for it self 10x over if you ever have a copyright infringement case.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    but that fee pays for it self 10x over if you ever have a copyright infringement case.
    You have the same case without it. As Manny clearly pointed out. Not to mention the dollar value is so minuscule that any site or person that has stolen your photo will pay immediately without that registration since it's cheaper than getting involved in a copyright case. If you press them. I have had a few stolen and the last one (Sands SP) the guy sent me a check within 48 hours the second he heard that I would press the issue.

Also don't forget that fee is per photo. So I doubt anyone here will be registering their photos in hopes they recover "10x" if one of their pics are stolen. Since they would need 1 out of every 10 of their pics to get stolen just to break even.

That service is designed for professionals and bigger sport and other venue video shooters I would guess. Not the amateur photog.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2011-12-25 at 12:13 PM.

You have the same case without it. Not to mention the dollar value is so minuscule that any site or person that has stolen your photo will pay immediately without that registration since it's cheaper than getting involved in a copyright case. If you press them. I have had a few stolen and the last one (Sands SP) the guy sent me a check within 48 hours the second he heard that I would press the issue.

Also don't forget that fee is per photo. So I doubt anyone here will be registering their photos in hopes they recover "10x" if one of their pics are stolen. Since they would need 1 out of every 10 of their pics to get stolen just to break even.
    Actually, its not per photo. You can send in several images under the same registration.

Here is a great article on the topic.
    http://goingpro2010.com/2010/03/14/r...y-of-congress/

There’s no excuse not to register your Copyright, especially if you hope to make money from your photographic endeavors
    Like I said the service is designed for professionals. If you like to pay 35$ a year and retain a layer that will cost you double to triple what you will recover from a simple email go right ahead but fact is it's unnecessary.

Scott Bourne is a professional and seems to make consistent money which may make it cost effective but something like this is probably more utilized by people like Ron Galella. Who probably sees annual sales in the hundreds of thousands and has to probably fight theives stealing his work constantly since he has shot the most high profile subjects. Not B6 320s on final at JFK. The only person I can see utilizing this is someone like Gerard Isaacson.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2011-12-25 at 12:45 PM.

Like I said the service is designed for professionals. If you like to pay 35$ a year and retain a layer that will cost you double to triple what you will recover from a simple email go right ahead but fact is it's unnecessary.

Scott Bourne is a professional and seems to make consistent money which may make it cost effective but something like this is probably more utilized by people like Ron Galella. Who probably sees annual sales in the hundreds of thousands and has to probably fight theives stealing his work constantly since he has shot the most high profile subjects. Not B6 320s on final at JFK.
    Where does it say you need to retain a lawyer, you can consult one if you like, but it is not needed. And as a matter of fact, I have had an image of a B6 320 landing at JFK used without my permission.

Neither of you are wrong. Registering your copyright is very useful when pursuing infringement. It's just not necessary and it doesn't make your case any less valid if you don't have it. Same with a lawyer...useful and beneficial, but not necessary.

Where does it say you need to retain a lawyer
    In order to convince an attorney to help you sue to protect your rights, you will either need to pay them traditionally high fees, or provide them with evidence of a Copyright Registration

Eric you know full well that any photo that yourself or I or anyone with the exception of people like Gerard will see any sort of meager compensation for theft will be done with a simple email and not a lawyer or this registration. Why do you continue to argue? As everyone that has had any experience with this knows it's such a small amount none of this ever takes place.

you can consult one if you like, but it is not needed
    Neither is the registration. Read your own source. This is designed for "professionals" people like Gerard that make a living simply on their work and that if needed use a lawyer and this service to sue for real damages of theft. Not spotters camping out at JFK that stand to gain probably 50 to 100 bucks at best.

And as a matter of fact, I have had an image of a B6 320 landing at JFK used without my permission.
    So, I had a Maxjet shot stolen from JFK, in fact Phil found it. It was fair use. So what? I had no recourse. Unless the people that stole it used it to make money or for advertising like when my SP shot was stolen you won't get anything. Even with that I only got a check for $400 bucks. No lawyer, no registration required and the shot was taken down after 2 months. What was your B6 shot used for?

For the third time. It is up to the individual but if they feel they need to pay $35 for every 750 pics in a calendar year knock yourself out. When uploading to JP or anet does the same thing for free.