Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Types you avoid?

Any Types you avoid?

When booking a flight is there any aircraft type you avoid for what ever reason, comfort, safety. My wife avoids A330's after the AF crash,
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

After USAir 427 I avoided 737's like the plague until they replaced the rudder servo units. Yes there are a million other things that can go wrong but that didn't matter to me.

My wife is the same even though there are thousands of A330 flights a day she is booking a trip on AF and is trying to work around theirs she prefers their B777's

I try to avoid CRJs on flights longer than 1.5hrs, and whenever flying USAirways I avoid any flight connecting through LGa after the "miracle on the hudson" crash. I know that that was a fluke and a birdstrike can happen anywhere, but that event just left me unsettled about LGA.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    That crash was pilot error and had nothing to do with the aircraft. In fact the 330 is probably the only Airbus I would fly.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    That crash was pilot error and had nothing to do with the aircraft. In fact the 330 is probably the only Airbus I would fly.
    Pilot error or not, some people just associate an aircraft involved in an incident with they rest of that type of aircraft. My mother for one hates flying anything with the airbus name just because she didn't like the way ONE that she flew on sounded. Me personally, I don't mind flying them, and will be getting her over that when she goes with me and my kids to Florida this year on JetBlue.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I do not get on any airplane unless I know they use 100% Colubian coffee.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

I'll try and avoid the 757-300 if I can just in case I wind up in one of the back rows; not a pleasant ride in some turbulence due to tail-wagging effect (minor Dutch roll effect?). Agree with Steve's comments on the CRJ for longer flights. Not a fan of DL's MD-88s either. For some reason I always notice steeper altitude changes more in the Mad Dawgs than other aircraft. As far as props I'll avoid the Brasilia if I can; would rather fly on a Dash 8, Saab 340 or the 1900D. But if the price is right I'll fly anything with wings!

Re the A330 I flew one from LAX to Tokyo and back on DL and from Rome to JFK on AZ. Nice ride on both but I admit I was apprehensive at first.
    "I can't wait until tomorrow, cause I get better looking everyday"
    --Joe Namath

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Pilot error or not, some people just associate an aircraft involved in an incident with they rest of that type of aircraft. My mother for one hates flying anything with the airbus name just because she didn't like the way ONE that she flew on sounded. Me personally, I don't mind flying them, and will be getting her over that when she goes with me and my kids to Florida this year on JetBlue.
    Tru though I don't think you never drive a Ford since the Pinto was a death trap.

To answer the OP question after the A300 was done with pax service there isn't much I wouldn't fly.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Tru though I don't think you never drive a Ford since the Pinto was a death trap.
    I generally stay away from Fords, pretty much because they are Fords.... sorry Kaz....
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

She actually booked a RT on Open skies for about the same price (with-in $100) as coach on most other airlines
    I told her I want a full report

Is Open Skies one of those "All First Class" airlines?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I try to not fly on aircraft which I know will be retired to sold soon. This applies to the DC9s on Delta, as well as the Comair CRJ100s. I just feel that they will defer maintenance since they are selling/scrapping them very soon. Also, I hate MD-8x's. Not one single time have I had a flight on a Delta MD-88 without some mechanical issue. Air conditioner broken, pilots seat broke (!), etc. Never had a good flight on an MD-88.

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    the Saab 340. an airplane should never, EVER, under any circumstances vibrate more than a helicopter.

aside from that i try to avoid CRJ-200s and EMB-145s. unless i'm in the exit row my knees just won't fit.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

After working on jets in the military for eight years, and working for an airline for the past 10; there isn't any plane that I avoid for safety reasons. Three letters come to mind: M.E.L. The minimum equipment list, or deferred mechanical items, can be quite extensive on a commercial airliner and really really long on a military jet. I tend to shy away from regional airlines due to the less experienced flight crews and the brutal flight hours per day they put in.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net