Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Types you avoid?

I do not avoid planes, as pretty much every plane except the 787 and 747-8 have been in some accident. I avoid the EU blacklist airlines.

Quote Originally Posted by tlabranche View Post
    I tend to shy away from regional airlines due to the less experienced flight crews and the brutal flight hours per day they put in.
    Agreed! I always try to catch a mainline flight JFK <-> DTW. Half are mainline, the rest are regional. The regionals are so much more likely to be cancelled or delayed to get a mainline flight out on time. And yea, we know how over worked those pilots are, its scary.

I won't fly Beechcraft 1900s, and I will never fly on a Russian-made aircraft, or any aircraft that belongs to a nation whose maintenance I do not trust (ie: Russia).
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I have not avoided any specific aircraft to this point. I'm not happy if I have to take a CRJ100/200 (poor window positioning, cramped feeling), but I will fly on it, provided like Phil mentioned, it's a carrier/country that I trust.

Program Coordinator
    I’m never bothered enough that I won’t fly anything, but the MD80 & A330 both conjure up memories after their respective incidents (AS off LAX & AF off Brazil) that leave me a bit un-nerved. Ultimately both successfully perform thousands of flights per day with some of the best and worst airlines around the world, so there really isn’t anything to worry about. In my early days though I used to be terrified of flying, and the manifestations of that fear the stuff of legend to folks who knew me. Examples: I vaguely remember catching bits of pieces of same made-for-TV movie focused on a plane crash in the mid-90’s that had a DC-10 in it. I managed to convince my parents, who for some reason always assumed I knew best when it came airplanes (still do, but now I can confirm I actually do know best of our family), not to take any flights for the family on DC-10’s for a few years. This wasn’t the start of my fear, but it sure as hell didn’t help it. I was also terrified of any apparent mechanical defect I thought the plane had. I remember flying a Delta Express 737-200 MCO-BDL and seeing a screw on a panel on the wing vibrating in place at altitude. I now know that it was no big deal, but it had me scared ****less the whole flight. On another there was a crack in the little ceiling panel with the air and lights on a Saab340 ORH-EWR. I ended up delaying the flight 20 minutes in the process of putting up a stink about the skin being compromised (I was maybe 9; didn’t occur to me that the ceiling panel wasn’t directly connected to the skin). I would get panicky and sick to my stomach a full day before any flight, often to the point of actually throwing up. While my gate-delaying phase was over by 10 and the vomit phase was largely over by 12, I continued having butterflies in my stomach well into my teens – and after every crash if I flew on that type I’d have to calmly settle myself down at the gate and on the plane. While it improved considerably year over year, I’d say it wasn’t until I was 19 or 20 when I could finally say I was over it. And to think now I’ve flown on planes that I can see through the floor of...crazy.

Honestly, I look at what it takes to get a plane certified, it's not something that happens overnight. So honestly almost any plane that fly's I'm willing to get on, now the airline that operates it, that's a whole other discussion. Though I do prefer Boeing, I'll gladly ride on a bus if I must to get where I'm going.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by tlabranche View Post
    I tend to shy away from regional airlines due to the less experienced flight crews and the brutal flight hours per day they put in.
    And for some regionals that is a bad assumption, I mean look at QX, the left seat you have to have put in at least 10 years to even think about sitting in it.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

I don't shy away from any aircraft, but, as Brandon mentioned the operator is another story. I worked quite alot for regionals and believe me they are some of the best. I would fly a Dash 8 anywhere!
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    I do not get on any airplane unless I know they use 100% Colubian coffee.

Now that's the ticket!!! Too bad it is that crappy drip stuff... Let's have some Espresso on board!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I won't fly Beechcraft 1900s, and I will never fly on a Russian-made aircraft, or any aircraft that belongs to a nation whose maintenance I do not trust (ie: Russia).
    Phil I take it you're a no-go for the Air Koryo tour in May?

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Is Open Skies one of those "All First Class" airlines?
    Yes British Airway owns it all business 757's 12 flat beds in front 72 biz seats in back, EWR-ORY
    great deal
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707 View Post
    Yes British Airway owns it all business 757's 12 flat beds in front 72 biz seats in back, EWR-ORY
    great deal
    Niiiiice! What kind of a price did she get on that?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Phil I take it you're a no-go for the Air Koryo tour in May?
    Haha, that's right.

Southwest and 70 or less seaters with exception to turboprops.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    Southwest and 70 or less seaters with exception to turboprops.
    May I ask why to Southwest? Just competition?