Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Types you avoid?

Let's just say I know someone associated with their operation who makes me worried about their entire airline as a result. haha
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707 View Post
    Heard on the news this morning that 2011 was the safest year for Air travel but they also noted that Russian build planes are 7 times more likely to crash than western build planes.
    sorry for the delay in my response I heard it on WCBS 880 am this morning in the business report.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Heard on the news this morning that 2011 was the safest year for Air travel but they also noted that Russian build planes are 7 times more likely to crash than western build planes.
    Phil, Google "Unsafe Russian Airlines", get comfortable and read on...........

I know this is the wrong place but I cannot resist. As a Giants fan and after consuming a few beers, I would totally avoid the Jetblue J E T S plane.

Anyway, who's the official carrier for the Giants? Continental/United? Lets go, we need a Giants plane.

Sorry.

AJ
    Pull back and the houses get smaller!

United is the official airline of the Giants. They don't seem interested in doing special liveries these days, unfortunately.

(For years prior to the merger, Continental was the official airline sponsor, though the team actually flew on United charters.)

Personally, I won't board anything with <2 engines unless absolutely necessary.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

That stat about Russian aircraft is sobering, but here's a scarier one which partially influences my short "avoid" list:

You are 9 times more likely to die in a GA aircraft than in a car.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by AJ View Post
    I know this is the wrong place but I cannot resist. As a Giants fan and after consuming a few beers, I would totally avoid the Jetblue J E T S plane.

Anyway, who's the official carrier for the Giants? Continental/United? Lets go, we need a Giants plane.

Sorry.

AJ
    Not to get off topic, but I have to agree with AJ here. Not in the fact that I would avoid the jetblue JETS plane, but that there should be a Giants logo plane. I can see why jetblue would brand one of their planes with huge letters that spell JETS, but it would be nice to see someone (and I hate to say this) like Delta since they are the largest carrier in the New York area brand one of their planes with the Giants name. Heck, Delta already has the appropriate colors, and putting Giants logos on one of their planes may actually make it look good. And being a Dolphins fan myself (yeah, hahaha I know we suck) it would be nice to see their logo on a plane. Heck, AA is their official carrier and AA has one of its larger hubs in MIA, so I think that would be a nice tribute.

Rant done..
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I have a very general no fly list:
    United (No reason, just can't stand it)
    Russian Airlines
    Saabs and Brasilias
    Trevor Guglielmino
    ------------------------------
    My Photos
    Canon T2i/60D

There is no need to avoid any type as the safest plane flown by the safest airline with the safest crew can still be the one.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    ditto Gotham..

Which is why I never took up my pilots license.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I won't fly Beechcraft 1900s, and I will never fly on a Russian-made aircraft, or any aircraft that belongs to a nation whose maintenance I do not trust (ie: Russia).
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1395579.html

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    That crash was pilot error and had nothing to do with the aircraft. In fact the 330 is probably the only Airbus I would fly.
    I disagree about the Miracle on the Hudson Being Pilot error. Please explain on how was the Miracle on the Hudson, pilot error?

When booking a flight is there any aircraft type you avoid for what ever reason, comfort, safety.
    I associate a Boeing 747 to one incident/crash and will not fly on one. I know incidents can happen on any aircraft but I wouldnt feel comfortable being on a 747 right now but mabye in the future I will get on one. Who knows, mabye I'll fly one.

Quote Originally Posted by SR-71 Blackbird View Post
    I disagree about the Miracle on the Hudson Being Pilot error. Please explain on how was the Miracle on the Hudson, pilot error?
    He was referring to the 1st post on this thread referring to the Air France crash

OK, time for me to weigh in here. My no-fly list would include:

Anything with a Garrett turboprop - the noise is just deafening.
    BAE J31 and the Embraer Bandeirante - single engine performance is marginal, as was the design
    Russian regional service - the international service is fair and so is the safety record, but not regionally
    Certain African and Indonesian carriers - though Garuda has made great improvements recently
    Iran Air - their old aircraft have a terrible safety record
    Early Taylorcraft and Great Lakes aircraft - they were built with 1030 plain steel tubing and not 4130 chromoly
    Various homebuilt aircraft - some YES, others NO WAY

Anything else that is maintained, and flown my a competent pilot, generally yes.
    Last edited by stratoduck; 2012-04-16 at 08:44 PM.