Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2012

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    ...totally sunburned (except for where I wore my sunglasses).....Umbrellas at air shows UGGGHH
    Imagine that,Umbrellas at the beach on a sunny hot day!! WTF is this world coming too?
    And I bet the people with the umbrellas didnt get sunburned!! LMAO!!
    Enjoy Day 2!!

Some SnowBird Action

The nerve of those people..lol..umbrellas.....after all dont they realize its all about me...lol still got some good pics though....Generally an awesome day

ken

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    I still hate the person with the blue umbrella who screwed my shot of the BA high speed sneak pass. Great shots guys I have a ton of editing work ahead of me.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    Going to the airport today my 6 yr old wants some blue angel autographs ...any suggestions from anyone...?

Ken
    Ken,
    For autographs, get on line early as they limit the amount of time for them. Also, start at the higher numbers and work your way down as that seems to be the order in which they start the cut offs. It took me two attempts to get all six for my kids. I got all except #5 at Andrews and almost missed him again at Republic. The guy that decided on the cut off had already did so, luckily I explained that I only needed #5 and showed the Andrews poster and he allowed the autograph.

about 700 feet west of runway 14-32 in Farmingdale
    Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    I still hate the person with the blue umbrella who screwed my shot of the BA high speed sneak pass. Great shots guys I have a ton of editing work ahead of me.
    Ken,
    It was nice meeting you the other night. I knew the pass was coming and for the low shots, I kept getting peoples heads in the frame. I walked up to the water to get the shots. It also allowed me a few more seconds to see him approaching. It's nice to see everyone's shocked reaction when the high speed pass occurs, especially after the second jet passes. I knew it was coming, but couldn't swing my camera quick enough in the other direction. I'll post my images when I get the chance. Since the show was very similar to Andrews last week, I only took a few hundred shots yesterday instead of the normal 2000+, lots of vapor. Getting ready to head out to the airport today.
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe; 2012-05-27 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    A few from this morning at Republic

That last shot is absolutely beautiful. I mean one of the most interesting photos I've ever seen.

Killer shots John!!!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Quote Originally Posted by MORS-AB-ALTO View Post
    Awesome shot. Where we're you?

Great shots, by and large everyone. I spent an hour last night looking at the 700 I took...of which I liked about 20. Oh, there will be cropping and zooming. It was such a great show this year although the traffice was the worst I've seen in the four years I've gone. Was going to do FRG today, but I'm not sure I want any more sun. I'm a lobster, and I think my better half has earned some "no planes" times. Will post some photos later today or tonight. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by TJK View Post
    That last shot is absolutely beautiful. I mean one of the most interesting photos I've ever seen.
    Thanks, really appreciate it.

No pics from me yet. Felt sick last night after getting home at around 1:00am... BIG HUGE thanks to the NYC DOT for setting up awesome construction work every time I am out driving!

Just a quick post on settings for those who asked... for me, on Nikon and it may not apply to all cameras in the lineup:

General:
    Aperture Priority for Jets, Shutter Priority for Props, Matrix Metering

D2X/D2Xs:
    Cloudy/Overcast - ISO 400 (max usable for this camera, otherwise, lookout for ugly noise),
    Jets - Aperture Pri: f/7.1, +1/3 EV comp
    Props - Shutter Pri: 1/60sec to 1/500sec depending on aircraft and desired prop blur... (practice practice practice)
    Focus Tracking with Lock on, normal
    AF-C, center af sensor with group

Sunny - ISO 100
    Jets - Aperture Pri: f/8, -1/3 to -1 EV comp depending on angle to the sky. Matrix meter on D2 and D3 line could be easily fooled by perfect blue skies and overexpose small subject.
    Props - same as for cloudy with exposure to taste given the sunny conditions.
    Same AF as above

D3/D3s: Matrix Meter is tuned similarly to D2X series...
    Cloudy/Overcast - ISO 400-1250 (you can go much higher on D3 series without much worry of noise. D3s has much cleaner noise than D3),
    Jets - Aperture Pri: f/7.1, +1/3 EV comp
    Props - Shutter Pri: 1/60sec to 1/500sec depending on aircraft and desired prop blur... (practice practice practice)
    AF-C, center af sensor with 9 sensor group

Sunny - ISO 100
    Jets - Aperture Pri: f/8, -1/3 to -1 EV comp depending on angle to the sky. Matrix meter on D2 and D3 line could be easily fooled by perfect blue skies and overexpose small subject.
    Same AF as above

D800: Matrix meter on this camera is much more improved. So much so that no exposure compensation seems to be necessary in most situations... only when pointing near or at the sun does it need care.

Cloudy/Overcast - ISO 400-800 max (you can go higher at your own risk. D800 is noisy at ALL sensitivities :-)),
    Jets - Aperture Pri: f/6.3-f/7.1, 0 EV comp
    AF-C, center af sensor with 9 sensor group

Sunny - ISO 100
    Jets - Aperture Pri: f/8, 0 EV comp.
    Same AF as above

D800 AF is much improved over D2, D300, D700 and D3 series...

Aperture is really dependent on your lens choice of course. The better the lens, the lower you can go on aperture if you need more light. I prefer to increase my aperture than increase sensitivity. If your lens is up to the job, as long as the subject is far enough away, go down to f/2.8 if you have to rather than going up on ISO.

Finally, Vibration Reduction or Image Stabilization: TEST your own lenses. On some Nikon lenses, the VR motor and elements can actually smear the image at the right shutter speeds rather than improve the image ... VR should only be used at really low light levels when the benefits will outweigh the negative results. In my own experience, I turn off VR unless I am shooting handheld at 1/100sec or lower. Otherwise I rather spend more time perfecting my tracking, panning and steady holding abilities.

Cheers to all and GREAT GREAT images coming out so far ... !!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

14/32 at the new highway end for the hornet departures, etc? I caved. The obsession is too strong. See some of you there I'm sure. I'll be wearing a giants jersey with my face the same color red as the numbers.
    -TJ

Looks really grainy. Not sure if its the new settings or the fact that I need to upgrade my video card.

Maybe you guys can chime in

F-22 Demo

Super Hornet

-Brian

My first time posting here, but a few of mine from yesterday: