Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Jones Beach Airshow 2012

any idea whats wrong with #2?

Quote Originally Posted by atenzany62 View Post
    i'd like to see them take off from a side view, from the terminal or whichever is closer. where would i park my car? i just looked at google maps and there seem to be many entrances from r110. should i just park at the home depot lot and walk to the terminal? which entrance on 110 is to the terminal you're speaking of? sorry i've never been to republic before.

thanks!
    you can't get to the terminal from home depot. look for the sign for the 56th fighter group and turn there, it's right after wall mart. you'll see the terminal when you get there and there is plenty of parking. from there you'll be within 50 feet or so of the Blue Angels. I find that to be one of the better spots, just my opinion though.

You are not parking at Parking at Home Depot and walking to the terminal, it is a hike. Take a look at the spotting guide here,

http://www.nycaviation.com/spotting-guides/frg/

They will be using 14/32 to help you gauge where to stand.
    Last edited by fk6065; 2012-05-22 at 02:40 PM.
    http://fredkopf.smugmug.com

For those of you interested the grass area under the approach to runway 19 is completely fenced in and not accessible. They have built a retaining wall and put the fence on top of the wall

They have not put the green screen through the links so you can see everything from the AAM to past the old tower

The signs around the airport have been updated stating the Blue Angels will take off at 11:00AM for their Hudson River Flyover

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Still no sign of #2. Any status updates?
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

The latest info my friend heard at the Terminal this morning was that #2 should be arriving around 9:30 tonight.

Hmmmmm. Night after burners.......,

Quote Originally Posted by fk6065 View Post
    Hmmmmm. Night after burners.......,
    They don't use ABs when landing. Now, if someone wants to run across the runway when he is on short final so he has to go around - not that I'm condoning or encouraging such behavior, mind you...

In regards to the fence at the end of the approach to 19 and the Dave & Busters parking lot I shot the Snowbird and the E/A-6 thrugh the fence at 500mm, in the mist. The ledge to stnd on is about 14 inches wide so with the long lense I had to hold on with one hand and balance the camera against the fence to get the shot one handed. If you are using a long lense there is really know way to stand and shoot two handed, the ledge is too narrow. But you can see what the views are.

The other two shots are of the fence and retaining wall. Like I mentioned before they haven't installed the green grass between the links yet.

And from by the terminal, it was very quiet..........

And lined up leaving an open space for Number 2

Quote Originally Posted by gettysburgerrn View Post
    Great shots!! mine arent half as good......maybe I will try to post them later....anyway, I noticed on the Nyasinfo website the practice for friday is listed as 9-2 (as opposed to the normal 10-3 of the weekend show) is the 9-2 time correct?
    Probably give or take. If the Angels are scheduled for a 1:45 depart from FRG then it will go past 2PM. And be advised they will be charging the $10 parking fee. They started that last year as they
    realized more people were coming to the show. Its well worth it as you pretty much see everyone except for maybe the Warbirds and the ANG SAR demo and its not crazy crowded.

In regards to the fence at the end of the approach to 19 and the Dave & Busters parking lot I shot the Snowbird and the E/A-6 thrugh the fence at 500mm, in the mist. The ledge to stnd on is about 14 inches wide so with the long lense I had to hold on with one hand and balance the camera against the fence to get the shot one handed. If you are using a long lense there is really know way to stand and shoot two handed, the ledge is too narrow. But you can see what the views are.

The other two shots are of the fence and retaining wall. Like I mentioned before they haven't installed the green grass between the links yet.

Just an FYI that last pic of the fence doesnt quite show that the wall is about 5 feet high and not so easy to climb up on. And if you go down to the left towards the end of the parking lot its much
    lower to step up on BUT then you have to make your way back and if people are already standing there it will be difficult if not a pain in the rear to move around them to get a good spot. But that
    being said its still a great place to hang out to see the departs and arrivals with the green bunting gone and just standing in the lot you get great views of the flight line and any and all flybys.
    Good hunting all!!

The Blue Angels are to flyover the Hudson at the end of the Parade of Ships which would be around 11:00-11:30am on Wednesday miorning. They will approach the Narrows from the south and follow the Hudson north over Manhattan
    I haven't heard how many passes they will make
    Has NYC/OEM or the Mayors Office put out any media alerts that the Blues will be flying up and maybe down the Hudson? I can guess they wont be that high and I can already hear the calls coming in to 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Has NYC/OEM or the Mayors Office put out any media alerts that the Blues will be flying up and maybe down the Hudson? I can guess they wont be that high and I can already hear the calls coming in to 911.
    They tweeted one yesterday:
    Fleet Week events 5/22-5/30 to include military aircraft flyovers and demonstrations throughout NYC.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9