Thread: LGA-ATL-Germany and Back (now with pics!)

LGA-ATL-Germany and Back (now with pics!)

Just an abbreviated trip report, and i'm not really good at these. I usually don't talk about my job here, but I thought I'd make an exception and keep private what needs to be kept private.

As a dispatcher, I am required to take a familiarization flight once a year that is at least 5 hours long and goes to a station that we operate to frequently. More importantly, I need to ride in the cockpit jumpseat for the flight to observe, monitor and learn. My company sent me to Germany via Atlanta, where as many know, we operate through on many military charter flights.

I flew down to ATL the other morning and it was my first time on a 757 with winglets, and I enjoyed it. Our taxi to depart at LGA took about an hour, and one of my two criticisms was that the pilots didn't give us any updates the entire time until we were finally #3 in line to depart.

My other criticism is automated announcement system at the gates. Instead of a gate agent getting on to say "Now boarding for flight..." it is an automated voice. I just felt it very impersonal and too similar to riding a subway....and therefore more cattle-car-ish versus enjoying the flying experience. Feeling that I am just getting bussed to Atlanta takes some of the fun out of it because I want the airline to be just as passionate about it as I am.

On my actual company flight, I rode overnight out of ATL on a ferry....just me and some pilots. It had been 4 years since I last rode up front on my airline's planes, and it felt like the first time all over again. Having learned a lot about aviation and becoming a dispatcher since I last flew it also of course allowed me to understand so much more of what goes on in the cockpit.

The stars are so bright from up there, and we were able to spot an ISS pass from 39,000ft, which was incredible. We also flew right over NY which was nice to see from so high above at night.

We landed in Germany and went to the hotel to rest.

Back to the airport, we prepped for a live flight home to ATL, bringing home over 200 soldiers that came out of Afghanistan. Being a part of this is an amazing experience and I'm so proud of it. To be on a plane helping so many brave men and women come home to their families safely is the most satisfying aspect of my aviation career.

People in ATL greeted the troops and it brings tears to the eyes. Even other airline employees join in the welcoming.

I flew Delta home as well and was very impressed with the professionalism of the crew. They were so eager to help and serve and truly passed along a friendly vibe.

Being a dispatcher is a lot of fun, and I'd like to recommend it to people who want to be very involved in a challenging aspect of the airline world without the demands of becoming a pilot. It has a great many benefits, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out to me here or in private.

Now, I'm going to try to fend off some jet lag. Maybe I'll post some pics later...
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Man, that must be awesome flying in the jumpseat to Europe! Looking forward to some pics...

Isaac

Great report Phil! I too look forward to seeing some of those photos...

BTW...I would actually like to hear about becoming a dispatcher. If you could shoot me a PM or email. Definitely sounds like a rewarding career.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I usually don't share photos or talk about my job much, but I aside from sharing my experience, I wanted to show people about a part of the industry that few see. When I was a young plane geek, I didn't know what a dispatcher was or what they did. Now, through my job, I have learned so much more about aviation than I realized I could without becoming a Captain for a major airline, and I've seen and done so much. For those who want to have a challenging, in-depth job that plays a major role in aviation, remember dispatching as an option.

Here are some pics from my trip...

I started off flying LGA-ATL on Delta. My first time on a 757 with winglets.

In ATL, we see a big group of heroes prepping to go back to Afghanistan at the gate next to mine (different carrier).

Which southern airport would be complete without a 6-foot tall likeness of Dale Earnhardt at the gate?

My plane, having blocked-in seconds before.

Sparkling lights before we enter to make our way to Germany.

A view out the window before we close up.

The leg to Germany was an empty ferry flight. Over 250 seats for only 5 crewmembers.

Strapped into my jumpseat, headset on, prepping to blast-off.

Passing over NYC at 39,000ft from the cockpit.

Sunset...

...and sunrise.

Descending in Germany.

Hello rwy 26L.

Forget Mr. Clean. Their have Meister Proper!

On the way back, bringing home 238 soldiers...

I thought I was looking down at water in between the clouds at first, but it's the opposite; mountains (Appalachian) peeking out from the clouds.

Waiting for Delta to depart so we can cross the runway after landing.

Blocking back in to Gate E30 at KATL...

Welcome home!

Oh man, you;re in big trouble. BE glad you don;t come out spotting with us. If you do, I am going to chew your ear off...

So here goes for starters:

--What the heck is a dispatcher anyway?

I have a faint idea but I rather hear the real deal... That should get you going for a bit. Terrific trip report and story Phil, the pictures are simply icing on the cake. BTW, you need an iPhone 4s or any phone with a decent camera for god's sake...
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2012-01-05 at 10:22 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Sometimes the role of a dispatcher can change a little, but for me in a nutshell, I monitor weather all around the world, plan the routes for each flight during my shifts, and monitor flights that are airborne to ensure that they are tracking on-time and burning the right amount of fuel. This means I need to know my aircraft, about navigating through airspace in all parts of the globe, know weather inside and out, airports and airport research, aerodynamics, etc. More importantly, I'm the "third pilot", assisting the pilots in providing any information I can during emergencies, such as alternate airports, weather and so forth. Dispatcher legally share 50% of the responsibility of flights with the Captain, and when it hits the fan, the dispatcher has the authority to declare an emergency and tell the plane where to go (although I can't force a Captain to turn the yoke of course).

And, I use a Blackberry Bold 9830. Little rough in the dark. Also, cockpit glass is very thick.

Wow, that's a lot of responsibility, no wonder you had to wear a tie

As for your camera on your phone, I would gladly gift you a used point and shoot if you want... but you;re killing me Phil. But of course it is my duty to bust your chops on the photography end of things LOL all in good fun!

If you EVER have an opportunity to "bring your kids to work" (and I don't mean Germany) I can fill in if you don't have one to take [wink]
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Wow......awesome stuff Phil, and a ton of responsibilities to say the least. Hats off to you and loosen up that tie :) It must be such an awesome experience riding in the jump seat (one of the best seats in the house). Thanks for sharing your job and experiences, it is greatly appreciated.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Thanks guys. I love what I do, and if you ever have questions about stuff, feel free to ask, as of course I like sharing it.

Manny, some of those were taken with a Canon powershot as well. Even when I used to fly a lot, I never brought my DSLR out....didn't want to risk damaging or losing it, as well as the shutter noise distracting people working around me.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    Excellent report Phil. I think this thread has convinced me in obtaining my aircraft dispatch license after graduation.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

great trip report man, must be a real nice feeling bringing the troops back home. I figured you were using discretion in not pulling out a DSLR in the middle of that. pictures are good enough for us to see what you saw anyway- thanks for that unique viewpoint!

Quote Originally Posted by AirtrafficController View Post
    Excellent report Phil. I think this thread has convinced me in obtaining my aircraft dispatch license after graduation.
    Even if you don't want to become a dispatcher, and especially if you don't want to become an airline pilot, getting that dispatch certificate is an excellent thing to put on your resume that says "I'm not an airline Captain, but I still know my stuff about meteorology, navigation, aerodyamics, aircraft systems, and the aviation industry.

Wow! Nice to see a piece of the story behind the flights I had photographed so many times at LEJ! Must be a logistical performance to organize these flights.
    On my flight from FRA to LEJ last summer I was the only 'normal' passenger - all the others were crewmembers of Ryan International. I think they were flown from the US to FRA by a normal passenger flight and after connecting flight to LEJ they took the 767 to KWI.
    Last edited by Sebastian G.; 2012-01-31 at 04:00 PM.
    Kind regards,
    Sebastian

My Homepage: www.airliners-spotting.weebly.com (in german only)

Yeah, they will often send crews in advance on other airlines to work the 2nd half of the trip to the Middle East.