Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model Walks Into Plane Propeller

As with most traumatic brain injuries she will probably remember little if anything at all.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    I was reading the preliminary doctors reports and seems they are doing the best they can. Suffering a several facial nerve as well as ruptured globe of the eye (laymans: The eye was blown open).

From a visual standpoint, I have seen a case on Long Island where an eye was stitched back together with its contents relatively in good order to the point that the vision was able to be salvaged to 20/25. That is a miracle case though.

This lady will have a long road to recovery. Pray for her and her doctors.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Pure speculation on my part. Usually, if I am near something that can kill me, (crazy women, edge of a cliff, etc) I respect it by giving it a lot of room.

Just makes we wonder.
    Especially with crazy women near the edge of a cliff.

Have to say it. She is blonde...

Wish her well.

I now it's obvious to most fliers, but I wonder if the flight crew briefed the passengers not to approach the prop upon exiting the plane. Every time I fly on a Dash-8, that's one of the safety announcements from the crew.
    Timothy LaBranche

See my photos on:
    Timothy LaBranche.com
    Flickr
    JetPhotos.net

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Especially with crazy women near the edge of a cliff.

Have to say it. She is blonde...
    Much like Mario's drunk comment this is pretty uncalled for. Judging by what she has accomplished in the fashion world she wasn't stupid.

I now it's obvious to most fliers, but I wonder if the flight crew briefed the passengers not to approach the prop upon exiting the plane. Every time I fly on a Dash-8, that's one of the safety announcements from the crew.
    In commercial aviation those announcements are done and are required to do so. In general aviation in rural Texas I am figuring the pilot didn't give her a briefing. Again we don't know what this pilot told her or didn't. He has been very quiet and has probably consulted a lawyer telling him to clam up. It seems we won't know exactly what happened until litigation happens.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Much like Mario's drunk comment this is pretty uncalled for. Judging by what she has accomplished in the fashion world she wasn't stupid.
    I agree. And for what she is going through now is pretty terrible.

Shouldn't the pilot have made sure the engines were shut down and the plane was safe to exit? Seems his situational awarness was off, he should have informed her not to exit or stopped her from exiting before it was safe to.

Apparently the pilot was doing an immediate turnaround and the outgoing passenger was about to board. I am not sure what the FAA regs are about letting pax deplane while running but at least she is up and walking now.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/lauren-scru...7#.TuZGyrIeiSw
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Apparently the pilot was doing an immediate turnaround and the outgoing passenger was about to board. I am not sure what the FAA regs are about letting pax deplane while running but at least she is up and walking now.

I'd be hard pressed to think there's not some rule. I've been on Turboprops before that have made quick turns and the engine on the side of the plane I was deplaning was shut down totally while the prop on the other side was still spinning. I'd wager the pilot is going to looked at closely in this accident.

When I rode that B-17 back in June, they did a quick turn when we returned to the field to pick up the next load of passengers, and they shut down the starboard engines but kept port turning. Despite this they had people stationed near the wing to make sure no one went near the things(they were still hot also)

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    I'd be hard pressed to think there's not some rule. I've been on Turboprops before that have made quick turns and the engine on the side of the plane I was deplaning was shut down totally while the prop on the other side was still spinning. I'd wager the pilot is going to looked at closely in this accident.
    There is no FAR that mandates shutting down an engine.

From the article: "Scruggs had just landed with a girlfriend after viewing Christmas lights from above in a small prop plane piloted by a family friend."

Considering this was an Avitat Husky single engine recip, the flight was conducted under FAR Part 91 rules. It may have been just a personal pleasure flight, or at most a 'for-hire' "Sightseeing" flight which is permitted under Part 91 if the flight is conducted within 25 miles from the originating airport. It was not a charter flight as the Husky is not certified for Part 135 Ops.

In any case for Part 91 ops the only passenger briefing that is required, is to ensure that the seat belts are fastened before the plane moves. That's it. For Part 91 in the section for "Large" or "Turbine" power airplanes a more detailed briefing is required. This includes emergency exits, no smoking, how to use the seat belts, please fasten now etc.... There is still no requirement to brief passengers on goings on outside or to shut down the engine to deplane.

There may be regs for Part 121 or 135 as I'm a bit rusty, but in any case would not apply here.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...ticle-1.991080