Thread: Florida For Thanksgiving

Florida For Thanksgiving

Hi everyone. Hope everyone had a nice holiday, and that nobody has to wear the next size up in pants. I spent my Thanksgiving in Florida this year so my parents would be able to have all three of their kids together.

US Airways 2167
    New York-LGA 9:00 AM to
    Washington-DCA
    Seat: 8A
    Airbus A319

I was originally supposed to be on the 10 AM flight but I managed to get on the 9 AM flight, which IMO was a good move considering the weather on Wednesday. We departed on time and fought those winds down to Washington. We had a very noticeable crosswind. It was clear we were landing sideways to the naked passenger eye. Of course someone across the aisle gets air sick and misses the barf bag by a mile but no worries. Touched down in Washington with some heavy reverse thrust and breaking and arrived at gate 44 within 2 minutes of touchdown.

US Airways 1677
    Washington-DCA 12:40 PM to
    Charlotte, NC
    Seat 11A
    Airbus A319
    First off, thanks for all the help with the question I previously asked about DCA connections.
    Of course, being the day before Thanksgiving, I ended up having to check my bag in the jetway to Daytona Beach. The bad omen came when the agent tagging the bags asked me what the airport code for Daytona Beach was. She said she usually works the Shuttle flights and didn't know. Understandable but being prepared would help, especially during a busy travel time. Departed DCA relatively on time, we had a slight ground delay due to spacing but departed into the strong winds off runway 1 and made that left turn over the Pentagon.
    During the cruise the winds were light but on approach into CLT the crosswinds kicked in again and we touched down on 36L. Man those A319s can stop on the dime though! We parked in concourse B and I set off for E to catch my flight to Daytona beach.

US Airways 2339
    Charlotte, NC 2:26 PM to
    Daytona Beach, FL 3:56 PM
    Seat 6F
    Canadair Regional Jet 200

Boarded this flight and took my seat. For the record I HATE CRJ-200s because of the back and neck breaking to look out the window. We had a funny FA though. US Airways Express has automated recordings on their RJ flights so that the single flight attendant can focus on the actual demonstration. So what does she do? She lips it out to the mans voice on the recording and gave the flight a good laugh. We were number 1 for departure and quickly took off. It was just over an hour until we made our final approach into Daytona Beach on Runway 25R. The airport had closed its main runway 7L/25R periodically and had only parts of it open at a time with a shorter length or traffic used runway 16/34 which was 6001 feet long. However, the full 10,500 runway reopened last week and we got to use it! Beautiful approach over the beaches and a smooth touchdown on the newly paved runway. A quick taxi had us at gate 5 within a few minutes.

Now, remember I had to check my bag at DCA because of the full overhead space. So I headed to baggage claim only to not have my bag so I had to file the report with US in Daytona Beach. They delivered it that night though. I'll type the return half in a little while.
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Alrighty, now for the return.

US Airways 2276
    Daytona Beach, FL 8:45 AM [8:40 AM Actual] to
    Charlotte, NC 10:17 AM [10:16 AM Actual]
    Seat 5A
    Canadair Regional Jet 700

Arrived at DAB around 7:45 AM and printed my boarding passes before heading to security. DAB has body scanners now but with the generic image rather than the detailed outline of each traveler. I understand the little bit of embarrassment that passengers feel in these things. For god's sake you have to stand there with your hands over your head which makes you look funny. Then again, I'd rather do that then be groped in all of my special places. Anyway, we boarded the flight, which was full and we were pushed 5 minutes early. A quick taxi down November before lining up on 7L for departure. We did a typical departure from DAB's 7L taking you out over the beaches and then to the north a few miles off the coastline. We turned back in over northern Volusia County so I got a great view of my parent's house and the rest of Ormond By The Sea. The flight was relatively smooth at FL260 and our descent into CLT had us on what seemed to be a visual approach. We turned final for Runway 23 right over the Charlotte Motor Speedway (Not a NASCAR fan but still it was a noticeable landmark) and touched down. About ten minutes later and we were at gate E13. E13 has a jetway so half the flight was lined up with me in the jetway waiting for the valet bags we checked in the jetway in Daytona Beach.

US Airways 938
    Charlotte, NC 11:40 AM [11:48 AM Actual] to
    New York-LGA 1:36 PM [1:32 PM Actual]
    Seat 14A
    Airbus A321

Made my way to C19 in CLT with plenty of time to spare. We boarded a little late but we pushed 8 minutes after scheduled departure. Winds made for some unstable air during take off from 18L but they calmed down after we climbed out. The flight was pretty uneventful. We flew east of DC and Baltimore and started our descent south and east of Philly. Our approach was a bit odd for me, but probably not odd for LGA at all. We came in over Brooklyn on what seemed to be an expressway visual to 31 and then veered east and flew just east of the airfield. I had seen aircraft landing on 22 out the window and departing on 31 which is an obvious reason why we didn't fly up the Hudson River. We flew east towards Glen Cove and then turned back to the west over the sound before landing on runway 22. We used up about 6000 of the 7000 feet and taxied in. All around good trip, very busy but good trip. If it weren't for the motion sickness victim down to DCA and the little luggage issue in CLT on the way down it would have been perfect.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Ugh two stops too many!! Nothing direct?

From NYC to DAB? Nothing since 2008. I've been hearing rumors about B6 doing JFK or DL doing LGA with the slot swap from the DAB Airport Admin but nope. Usually have to stop in CLT or ATL but it was cheaper for the double connection on the way down. Thanksgiving travel cannot be booked any later than April I swear!
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    From NYC to DAB? Nothing since 2008. I've been hearing rumors about B6 doing JFK or DL doing LGA with the slot swap from the DAB Airport Admin but nope. Usually have to stop in CLT or ATL but it was cheaper for the double connection on the way down. Thanksgiving travel cannot be booked any later than April I swear!
    I can deal with a single connection but not a double. Recently I visited my son in Tucson, Az and decided to fly direct to PHX and drive to Tucson rather than fly Delta (stop in Atlanta) or
    Continental/United (stop in Houston) which I've been doing the last three years. Once did Southwest (stop in Chicago). Not sure I was saving that much time driving but it gave me
    peace of mind and the drive to Tucson is actually pretty scenic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    I can deal with a single connection but not a double. Recently I visited my son in Tucson, Az and decided to fly direct to PHX and drive to Tucson rather than fly Delta (stop in Atlanta) or
    Continental/United (stop in Houston) which I've been doing the last three years. Once did Southwest (stop in Chicago). Not sure I was saving that much time driving but it gave me
    peace of mind and the drive to Tucson is actually pretty scenic!!
    It was very unfortunate when JetBlue pulled the plug on TUS.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JetBlueAirwaysFan View Post
    It was very unfortunate when JetBlue pulled the plug on TUS.
    Yeah they pulled it in May and my son started that August!!!! UGH!!!!! LOL!! Oh well!!

I know! I remember how frustrated you were! Trust me, I moved back to NY and my parents make their rounds up here. My grandmother also lives here and has vascular dimentia, so it is a hurdle for all of us. I truly wish jetBlue flew to DAB but my dad works in an area of FL where the JAX-JFK nonstops work perfectly. I usually fly Delta or US Airways to DAB because that's what's easier for me. The day jetBlue flies to DAB, and that I hear is a possibility pending economic recovery, I will never use another airline again.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012