Thread: SWA/FL announce extended schedule, New/Returning Domestic and Intl Routes/Cities

SWA/FL announce extended schedule, New/Returning Domestic and Intl Routes/Cities

DALLAS, Nov. 13, 2011 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --

Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) and its wholly owned subsidiary AirTran Airways announced today new destinations and nonstop routes as they extend their flight schedules for reservations from June 3, 2012, through Aug. 10, 2012 (some flights begin as early as May 24, 2012). Southwest announced new Houston nonstop service and AirTran will add nonstop service between Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood and San Juan, Puerto Rico, as well as new Denver nonstop routes.

In addition, AirTran announced plans to expand its international presence with four new nonstop routes to Mexico: San Antonio to Cancun and Mexico City beginning May 2012, and Orange County, Calif. to Cabo San Lucas and Mexico City beginning June 2012. This service is subject to government approval and is not yet for sale. Specific frequencies and fares for these international routes will be announced once the appropriate approvals are received. AirTran does not currently serve Orange County, so the future introduction of AirTran service to these markets is a direct benefit of Southwest's acquisition of AirTran.

http://www.southwest.com/html/cs/inv...stor_relations/if_news_events.html

AirTran new service beginning May 24, 2012 (open for sale today):

Two daily roundtrip flights between Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood and San Juan

AirTran new service beginning June 3, 2012 (open for sale today):

One daily roundtrip flight between Denver and Akron-Canton

One daily roundtrip flight between Denver and Dayton

Two daily roundtrip flights between Denver and New York LaGuardia

Two daily roundtrip flights between Baltimore/Washington and Los Angeles

One daily roundtrip flight between Baltimore/Washington and New Orleans

Two daily roundtrip flights between Baltimore/Washington and Seattle

One daily roundtrip flight between Baltimore/Washington and San Francisco

Southwest new service beginning June 3, 2012 (open for sale today):

One daily roundtrip flight between Houston Hobby and Raleigh-Durham

One daily roundtrip flight between Houston Hobby and Kansas City

One daily roundtrip flight between Houston Hobby and Seattle

One daily roundtrip flight between Chicago Midway and Oklahoma City

Very Excited to see this! I guess this confirms CAK/DAY is staying around for the long run!

Dropped Routes-
    ISP-MDW
    ABQ-SLC

Sadly ISP is getting gutted further and further, you also lose a daily to PBI as well.

Alex
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Wait, so there will be no more ISP-MDW??? As of when? Those flights are always relatively full, and are not cheap...
    It's the fares, stupid

Don't worry Art, you will still be able to drive to LGA or EWR and fly WN to MDW nonstop, sorry but this is the kind of airline they are becoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    Wait, so there will be no more ISP-MDW??? As of when? Those flights are always relatively full, and are not cheap...
    Effective June 3rd ISP-MDW will be dropped completely, you guys will already be down to 2 daily by June 3rd anyhow, WN has been slowly dropping MDW routes out of ISP in every schedule exchange.
    www.southwest.com Bags Fly Free. Anytime, Anywhere on Southwest Airlines. Share the LUV!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex T View Post
    Effective June 3rd ISP-MDW will be dropped completely, you guys will already be down to 2 daily by June 3rd anyhow, WN has been slowly dropping MDW routes out of ISP in every schedule exchange.
    This is a shame. They dumped so much money into rebuilding ISP, and now they are slowly pulling out. Building LGA, destroying ISP...very sad.

Yes this is disappointing at best.. I wonder if they might be violating any commitments they made to the town of Islip with this pullback...

Don't worry Ron if I have to drive to LGA I won't be doing it to get on a WN airplane, I assure you. Sorry to say it won't be a US tail number either. Hope you are well, buddy.
    It's the fares, stupid

Yes Art very well buddy, and despite your comment still hoping to see you on an occasional US flight when the situation warrants !

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    This is a shame. They dumped so much money into rebuilding ISP, and now they are slowly pulling out. Building LGA, destroying ISP...very sad.
    Very sad indeed.. Very dissapointing what has become of ISP. How many flights a day total will that drop ISP to?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I would have to believe that there is ONE airline which realizes the value of ISP....but apparently WN thought it was a placeholder until they could get into LGA. So much for ATL service with the FL merger....

And you don't see any rush to rebuild the west terminal now do you?

I have been talking to my friends at UA/CO and trying to get them to try IAD or CLE again with a Q400.... The conversation started with bringing back the EWR shuttle but that will never happen....
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    I would have to believe that there is ONE airline which realizes the value of ISP....but apparently WN thought it was a placeholder until they could get into LGA. So much for ATL service with the FL merger....

And you don't see any rush to rebuild the west terminal now do you?

I have been talking to my friends at UA/CO and trying to get them to try IAD or CLE again with a Q400.... The conversation started with bringing back the EWR shuttle but that will never happen....
    Nolan and his team are/were a large part of the problem. The town is simply searching in the wrong direction for service to ISP. Last year they were on the whole International kick and this year they were touting recenty Air Canada. ISP isn't all that different from other regional airports and could easily accomodate the likes of American Eagle, Delta Connection, and United conneciton to their respected hubs. Its no seceret ISP's facility, landing, and other fees are to high...this has been the case for years and the town simply has not addressed it.