Thread: What Do You Think About "NYCA Headlines" Forum?

What Do You Think About "NYCA Headlines" Forum?

Matt, Jeremy and I, as well as the rest of the team, want you to be able to enjoy everything we put onto the site. We also don't want to waste your time if we're tossing stuff your way that you're simply not interested in.

With that, we see that the activity in the "NYCA Headlines" is low. So we were wondering if you could let us know your thoughts on the following:

- Do you surf the NYCA forums by going forum category to forum category looking for new posts or do you just click on the "View Active Topics" button?

- Do you find the articles we post interesting and enjoyable? If not, what do you dislike about them?

- Would you be more inclined to see/read these threads if we put those back into the "News an Aircraft Visitors" forum? (this would also end the redundant posts, when a member posts a thread about a news item after the NYCA article)?

And seriously, be honest. We're not looking for butt-smooching and we are not easily insulted on this. We truly want to make sure that we're setting this all up in a way that you can enjoy.

Thanks folks.

Oh, and everyone that answers all 3 questions will be entered in a raffle to win a spotting guide and an NYCA sticker. Drawing cutoff will be Friday, November 18 at 5pm.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    For my part, I just click forums to see everything. There might be something that I breezes over before only to discover a second thought or two about it.

The articles, for me, are much like a newspaper. I'll read what sparks my interest and skip over what doesn't. Usually, the sidebar of news titles grab my eye, and I'll click from there. It's not that I personally dont find some articles enjoyable, it's all just subjective I suppose.

As for the merging? I vote for let it be. As I said, the sidebar is a great attention getter. My lack of responses is not because I found something disinteresting. It's more of I need to digest the info you all presented so as to not have a thoughy of no more than "Oh."
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I much prefer the separate forum for the News - there are occasions when I don't have the time to browse all the forums - but - I will always go to the NYCA Headlines to see what is happening in the aviation world. The articles themselves have, the majority of the time, the information for the topic. The "This Day in Aviation" is always interesting.

For the rest of the forums, I will go into each one and see what has changed since I last looked. That way, I'm always trying to keep up to date with everything - don't know when I might miss something that could be of great interest.
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/

I do View Active Topis most frequently.

Articles are awesome, I loved the ones about shooting approaches and especially the one about the airline pilot that grew up watching planes go past his house, that was probably my favorite. I probabky wouldn't be more inclined to read them if they were placed in the news section.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    I don't like having to click twice from within the forum. I would prefer a direct link to the article from the right sidebar.

Honestly, I don't generally even read the news off of the forum, I have Twitter set up to get text updates every time NYCA Tweets so I read a lot of story's on my phone. Though it is nice to have a discussion area for some stories, I don't feel it is necessary for all stories.

I do have to say though I absolutely love the new final call, I think it was a great idea and is a nice nightly wrap-up of all the top Aviation Stories!

Also I go through each section one by one and read all the topics, I wish though that it wasn't time restricted before it marks them all as read if you get distracted with other things.
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

I browse the forums using "New Posts", just a habit I got into, and if something is in a sub-forum and gets a reply I'll see it.

I follow on Twitter as well and if something grabs my attention I'll have a look, I like the funny, random av stories that are popping up!

I don't believe I've taken advantage of replying to a news item, however it would depend on the story.

Keep up the great work guys!

When it comes to teh news section, I too take a look if the story title captures my interest. I am really enjoying the new Final Call post each day, and very much enjoy the articles written by the pilots about different flight experiences while on the job. I say keep the separate section for news and headlines and the other for news and visitors.

I am curious though, why there aren't seperate Daily Visitor threads for each year. We're nearing the beginning of 2012 and there are only threads for 2010 which just keep getting added to. Maybe start breaking these up by year, as it looks like they were originally intended. Just a thought.......
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Thanks for the good feedback so far guys! Keep it coming!

The "Final Call" is a format that we've tried several times in the past under different names, and I'm excited that it seems to be sticking this time around. Glad you folks are enjoying it, and the traffic seems to indicate others like it as well. :)

The Daily Visitor threads has brought much discussion and debate over the years. That, and the Anet/JP threads always became a yearly or monthly thread, and we realized there was not benefit to splitting it up. Although maybe the annual visitor thread is a good idea. anyone else have thoughts on that? I'd like to see what you think the pros and cons would be.

I'm glad that it seems that people here are reading the articles, even if it's not via the posted thread. Aside from the news, the other editorial and educational articles take a lot of time to create by both the writers and in coming up with the ideas, constructing, and just acquiring more writers by Matt and I, so your feedback there keeps us going. It's an area of the site we are constantly trying to expand upon.

FYI, if you have other site or forum-related questions, you can use this thread to ask.

not many of us would get curtain news as fast as we can see them on anet or so on, what i was thinking before in my way is that i would look out for many important details and then send them here so that it is shared with all of us NYCA members, other than that, i think the news topics from here are great and very interesting...
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Thanks again to everyone that helped out. I just wanted to see if and how people were reading those articles, and your feedback is so helpful.

The winner of the raffle is STEVE1840!! I'll be sending you the Plane Spotter Guide and NYCA sticker soon!

Thanks again all.

I'll keep an eye out for it. Thanks!!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net