Thread: 5Dmkii & 70-200 Vignetting

Program Coordinator

5Dmkii & 70-200 Vignetting

Anyone notice heavy vignetting who happens to have a 70-200 f/2.8 and a Canon 5Dmkii?
    I noticed that in my sky shots it can get really nasty sometimes.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this in their shots, or if this is something I should be sending in to Canon. It is worth noting that the 70-200 does not perform this way on my 7D.
    Thoughts?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6039/...929093f9_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6094/...ced8ce69_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6232/...e6805576_o.jpg

And from the 7D...same Biman

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6049/...57faa047_o.jpg

I don't own the 70-200, but when I am using the 100-400 on my 5D MKII I notice the same thing when shooting from about 300-400mm against the sky. You're probably not noticing it on the 7D because of the crop sensor.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Jeremy, are you using the lens hood 100% of the time? This could account for the vignette.

Jeremy, I don;t think it's the hood. The Vignetting (or light falloff) is always there :-) You notice it more in poor weather because there aren't enough photons to record so it shows morereadily. Try overexposing A LOT more than you;re used to under bad weather. Make sure you ALMOST BLOW the whites... I would even blow them JUST A TAD and your falloff will be reduced somewhat.

Now back to the phtysics... the design of MOST lenses in the past 10 years or so have been with crop sensors in mind. The lens manufacturer takes that into consideration and readily gives up some edge or corner quality knowing that it will never be seen by the crop sensor. Slap it on a FF sensor and it shows.

In my world (Nikon) the 70-200mm f/2.8 and 200-400mm f/4 were one of the first to get re-designed when Nikon released the D3 (first full frame camera) The difference in Light Falloff is dramatic between the two designs. How old is your 70-200mm f/2.8? Does Canon make a newer version? If not, they may be due for a refresh :-)

300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4 and 600mm f/4 are already designed to the highest quality so they rarely experience this design relaxation...

Fear not, your friendly neighborhood software does an amazing job of correcting this. Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 3.5 have an amazing database of lens/camera combinations that correct almost any imaginable CA, Distortion and Light Falloff (Vignetting) you can throw at it.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Program Coordinator
    How old is your 70-200mm f/2.8? Does Canon make a newer version? If not, they may be due for a refresh :-)
    About one year, yes they do, and I own it :-) 70-200 f/2.8 IS II

are you using the lens hood 100% of the time?
    I forgot to add that, above samples include shots with and without hood....the only time the hood caused it was when I didn't screw it on correctly.

As an aside, I was looking to see if I had ever caught LOT's -LPC(I never did) and was horrified by the vignetting I saw when I first started shooting digital in '07. It's amazing to see what a few years of practice does and how much better current shots look. I'm sure DxO has had a hand in that as well

I have been over the "will I ever move to full frame" thought process more times than I like to admit and have recently decided there's no reason to do it unless I start getting paying gigs. So, it's Nikon's DX for me unless something changes...or I win the lottery like that one ticket in CT last night...Steve Furst that wasn't you was it....

If it was me that hit the powerball jackpot there would already be a thread posted asking who wants to go on a month long european spotting trip in a chartered 747.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Jeremy, that happened to me a lot but fortunately I have a solution. Send both the camera and lens in to Canon. Then go to the store and buy a Nikon! ;)
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Kenny Kenny Kenny, you're so bad :-) You probably believe he should never fly an Airbus too? lol.

Jeremy, I am absolutely positive is the lens design pure and simple. It would likely cost too much and create a much bigger lens for little notice from the majority of consumers. Doesn't the 5D MKII have built in CA and Lens Distortion correction? Newer cameras usually correct this in camera for the OOC JPEGs and in Nikon;s case, the Nikon Capture software takes care of it for the RAWs as well in post. Photoshop and Lightroom do it for me in post.

My 70-200mm f/2.8 Mark I is very bad at this on my D3 and not nearly so on the DX bodies. The new 70-200mm f/2.8 VRII is better by not THAT much better and it introduces some focus breathing which I am not happy with... so I will wait for yet another refresh hopefully soon... this is after all the most sold pro glass for Nikon and perhaps Canon as well.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

[QUOTE=gonzalu;454757]Kenny Kenny Kenny, you're so bad :-) You probably believe he should never fly an Airbus too? lol.

He probably will not fly if the plane is wingleted or a 777.