Thread: Anyone Connect at DCA Before on US?

Anyone Connect at DCA Before on US?

I'm going to Florida this Thanksgiving. I have a double connection on my way down (LGA-DCA-CLT-DAB). I haven't been to DCA since Memorial Day Weekend 2004 and it was on Delta. I just wanted to be sure that you don't need to leave the secure area when connecting between gates since I saw that US uses multiple concourses at DCA. Any info would be great. Thanks!
    In loving memory of Casey Edward Falconer
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Not since '95- I remember being able to visit the USAir store where I bought my first issue of Airliners magazine and being able to step outside to have a cigarette without too much trouble. Security was a far cry from what it is now.

Since you're coming from LGA I'm assuming you will be on a CRJ or a Dash-8? If that is the case you will deplane the commuter on the tarmac and get on a bus that will bring you directly to the terminal basement. From there you will still be within the secure area and go directly upstairs to the concourse. All the concourses connect within the secure area.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Actually LGA-DCA is mainly A-319's with a few E-190's on the weekend. Arrivals from LGA & Departures to CLT are likely on the same main concourse (30-40 series gates). In the unlikely event your CLT Departure is at one of the 20 series gates (used mainly for Republic Flights) on the other concourse then their is a Shuttle bus that runs across the ramp from gate 36 to 23 so that you can stay inside security. DCA is actually a fun place to transit, and some pretty great views of the Capital and some of Monuments from the end of main concourse, Enjoy your trip.

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Yeah, US is set up to do airside conx at DCA, and everything should be in the northern arm of C. Grab a Five Guys and watch the action; you're nice and close to the runway. If 19 is in use, you'll get to see airplanes making the 40 degree right turn at .5mi from the threshold. I would highly highly recommend trying to get a left-side window for the inbound DCA leg in the event the River Vis or the LDA to 19 is in use. Same thing for the departure; try for the right so you can see the city if you depart 19. Nothing really spectacular to see if you're arriving 1 or departing 19. Using 1 is the slightly preferred configuration.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. I'm on an A319 from LGA and connecting to another to CLT. The CRJ is from CLT to DAB. Ron I probably should have just PMed you but I'm glad I didn't. Nice stories! As for stepping out to have a cigarette that's something I'm trying to stop!
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Then you'll be within the same pier; no need to reclear security unless you do indeed go outside and consume some of Virginia's proudest agricultural product. DCA is actually a fantastic airport, very compact, subway station right in the terminal, 15 minutes on the Metro to Downtown, great views, good food options, and insanely cheap weekend rental cars. Too bad it has a perimeter rule and flights out of there tend to be pretty expensive, since that's the business airport (compared to BWI, which is LoCo dominated).

Yeah, I only have an hour in DCA which was my main concern. I've been there before but it was my final destination and I was on Delta, so I wasn't sure how it worked for US. Thanks again.
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012

If you are in Concourse C on the pier with gates 35-45 (most likely), there should be a kick-a@@ mexican food counter (at least there was the last time I flew through there). They make awesome tacos and a killer burrito. If its still there it will be out towards the end of the concourse.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Ah Mexican food...one of my stomach's many mortal enemies
    May 16, 1992-May 9, 2012