Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: iPhone 4s thus far.....thoughts and questions after 2+ weeks of use.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!

iPhone 4s thus far.....thoughts and questions after 2+ weeks of use.

So I went from an 84 Buick to a 2012 Ferrari overnight in terms of phone tech.

But first, Im my THIRD iPhone, partially, I admit, due to KHARMA!

I pre-ordered and got my first phone, new customer to Verizon, from the Verizon store.
    It came with a cracked camera lens that I saw on it. After 2 hours of arguing and dealing with the DISTRICT MANAGER of Verizon, they exchanged it and mailed me another phone.

2nd phone came in, looked fine, but hte volume would automatically raised itself randomly. Made for some spookiness on Halloween. Apple changed it on the spot.

I've had the 3rd phone now since Halloween, 9pm. So far so good.

Siri- it HAS been learning how I say things over time. Initially, it would not even recognize my name without sounding like a California surfer. its improving. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Siri in that I was never into texting. Now I just tell Siri to send texts as well as answer my emails!

Apps- I have several dozen, all of them free. I have to say, if you're not careful, most of them are just time wasters(games) or gimmicky. The more useful ones include those on real estate/finance, language translation and speed traps.

videos- Takes decent videos and photos but not a PnS replacement due to digital zoom. But nice if you want to babysit the kids for brief moments in time.

Question:

I've looked at the older threads on apps....there were 2 thus far, suggesting what apps to have but may i ask,

What are some apps that you feel are actually worth paying for?

I am thinking about a fligth sim one. And I see there is xplane. Any suggestions?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I just ordered my i4s, which will be an upgrade from my current Blackberry Storm 2. So, with 2 - 3 week's we'll see what this puppy can do! As far as apps, I'm looking for recommendations as well.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

I myself am still on the fence as far as what I am going to choose as an upgrade as my contract is up in January. I currently have the iPhone 3Gs, but have recently become deissatisfied with it. I'm sure it has something to do with upgrading to the 4.0 software, but I am still unsettled. Right now I am still concidering the i4s, but at the same time concidering going back to Android.

I hope to hear some reviews of the new iPhone before making my decision.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    ...but at the same time concidering going back to Android.
    Go with Android. As I've said for years, if you're even a little bit tech-savvy, iOS is way too simple and limiting. Android phones are much more powerful, have much more customization, a more intuitive interface (once you familiarize yourself), and there are more hardware options. iPhones are far easier to use out-of-the-box but once you've used it for a couple of weeks, you'll have exploted all its possibilities. I've had my Android phone for 11 months and I still learn something new about its capabilities every single day. With a little bit of customization and technological know-how, I'm running 3 days on a single battery charge, piggy-backing off free data and wi-fi, and running Apple Store apps that shouldn't be available to me. And I'm still under warranty. The same things done to an iPhone would void its warranty.

Now, before someone calls me anti-Apple, I own only Apple computers (iMac and Macbook Pro), have only used iPods for music, and I have an iPad (first-generation) so I'm extremely familiar with iOS and Apple products in general. But I'll still recommend Android to anyone and everyone who has a little bit of tech know-how.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Quote Originally Posted by Zee71 View Post
    I just ordered my i4s, which will be an upgrade from my current Blackberry Storm 2. So, with 2 - 3 week's we'll see what this puppy can do! As far as apps, I'm looking for recommendations as well.
    I am in the same boat, only my contract expired in September. I was going to get the 4s, but rumors have the iPhone 5 coming out next spring, and if it follows the trend of the past iPhones, it will be a brand new phone. The 3Gs (what I have now) is a slightly better version of the 3G and same goes for the 4s over the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    Go with Android. As I've said for years, if you're even a little bit tech-savvy, iOS is way too simple and limiting. Android phones are much more powerful, have much more customization, a more intuitive interface (once you familiarize yourself), and there are more hardware options. iPhones are far easier to use out-of-the-box but once you've used it for a couple of weeks, you'll have exploted all its possibilities. I've had my Android phone for 11 months and I still learn something new about its capabilities every single day. With a little bit of customization and technological know-how, I'm running 3 days on a single battery charge, piggy-backing off free data and wi-fi, and running Apple Store apps that shouldn't be available to me. And I'm still under warranty. The same things done to an iPhone would void its warranty.

Now, before someone calls me anti-Apple, I own only Apple computers (iMac and Macbook Pro), have only used iPods for music, and I have an iPad (first-generation) so I'm extremely familiar with iOS and Apple products in general. But I'll still recommend Android to anyone and everyone who has a little bit of tech know-how.

TIS
    Thanks for the insight Tis.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by ANITIX87 View Post
    Android phones are much more powerful, have much more customization, a more intuitive interface (once you familiarize yourself), and there are more hardware option

TIS
    I can appreciate your insight. But this is my first smartphone and since my old phone was literally falling apart and our of contract, the timing was just easy for me.

At this point in my life though, it'll take easy.
    I'm blessed with a family that I am totally devoted to and also a busy practice. Just wont want to sacrifice my time for a phone at this stage of my life.

Some of the younger, single, childless folks in my family are big into their Androids and all the stuff they can do. Suffice to say, it suits their needs.

Thats not to say I ahve not though about jailbreaking my phone, but honestly, I have no reason to aside from telling others that I was a jailbreaker! LOL

To bring this back on topic, are there an apps out there that some feel are worth spending for?
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    So I went from an 84 Buick to a 2012 Ferrari overnight in terms of phone tech.
    You can say that again!

I'm with Tis. Apple sells products for people who want something out of the box they can exchange in 8 months for the "new thing" If you want to spend money that is fine but I love android. It does everything I need. Didn't cost me anything and I also refuse to pay for apps. I got the essentials like FB, tweetcaster etc with the phone and use the free versions of things like gasbuddy, planefinder etc.
    Last edited by NIKV69; 2011-11-03 at 02:20 PM.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Nick, consider this:

-I pre-ordered, got my first smartphone, new customer to Verizon brick and mortar store.
    It came with a cracked camera lens. After 2 hours of dealing with first the Ass.t Store manager, who tried to blow to off to the Apple Store, then finally with the DISTRICT MANAGER of Verizon, they exchanged it and mailed me another phone.

-2nd phone came in, looked fine, but the volume would automatically raised itself randomly ( BTW, all your nutjobs who made fun of me old school phone, damn you!!! I really dont need this hassle...Can you now see why that Reagan era phone was so treasured?!). Made for some spookiness on Halloween. This time I went to Apple since Verizon was so intrusive the first time. It was changed it on the spot.

-I've had the 3rd phone now since Halloween, 9pm. So far so good.

I just feel more comfortable knowing that if I have a problem, I can hit the Apple store. Had I gotten an Android, Verizon would have just put me through the ringer with no alternative. Its not that I like spending the money, Nick. But I'll make more money with my idle time as opposed to putzing around on a phone trying to make it do things.

Now that its been taken off topic a 2nd time, I respectfully ask future replies remain on topic.

Once more, just wondering,if, in your opinion,

are there an apps out there that some feel are worth spending for?

Verizon would have just put me through the ringer with no alternative.
    Since you see into the future can you tell me who will be the winners of every NFL game this week?

As for Apps. I don't think so.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Since you see into the future can you tell me who will be the winners of every NFL game this week?
    Did I say I could see into the future? No. But nice attempt at manipulating words.

Looking at past behavior is a great indicator of what future behavior would likely be...

Thanks once more for trying to remain on topic.

Looking at past behavior is a great indicator of what future behavior would likely be...
    Except when buying stocks!

Android may be powerful but take it from me, Android sucks... it is too fractured. Having power isn;t necessarily a good thing. A simple package can trump all the power in the world. How many times do you bring up MS Word to edit a simple txt file? :-) Maybe you do lol. But seriously, you have to live with all Operating Systems for really long times. It is part of my day to day job. And while Android does enjoy a bit of extra freedom, it is not by any means more powerful than iOS. Indeed the very basics are missing. NO IPSec built in... Ice Cream Sandwich supposedly has it finally... we'll see. iOS has had it since 3.x.

But this isn't a battle. Choose wisely and select what is best for you. I personally thing the clean and simple outweighs the power and complexity in some cases.

Back to what to get. I say stick to FREE apps as much as possible. ONLY buy one when it gets rave reviews and you have LOTS of screenshots out on the net to judge what you get. NEVER impulsively buy an app from the app store without first researchign it on the web. That's about it. Some of the most powerful and useful apps are free :-)

Get Instagram, it is a joy... Foursquare, Facebook also ... eBay app is excellent.. BofA and AMEX and Capital One apps are terrific. TweetDeck, NYTimes, iBooks is all you need for PDFs or epub format... not really need a more powerful paid app unless you absolutely must...

Printing from iOS SUCKS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I mention printing is horribly broken? LOL
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Fred, I looked through those two threads PRIOR to starting this one! Trust me, you sold me on it back then when you called me telling you how much you loved it. (In fact, Phil might have been over when you called that time. LOL)

THe last post was over 6 months ago. WAS hoping for updates. THanks for the advice thus far.