Thread: Question about SXM

Question about SXM

Hi, I am planning for a few days to St. Maarten in early Dec. Can I get some suggestions on where to stay for spotting? I see there is a Sonesta Hotel which can give you balcony view of the approaching planes. So I am wondering if anyone has spotted there. How is the light condition during the peak arrival period in the afternoon?

Also, what's the transport situation on the island? If I stay in the hotel close to the airport, how convenient is it to go to the town? Is there public transportation? Or I have to use taxi or rent a car?
    Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by JZ; 2011-10-28 at 09:37 AM.

Sonesta Hotel is the best... get a high floor overlooking the pool... and 5 minute walk to the beach... NOTHING is better except maybe the Islander across the street :-) ... A lot of folks here have spotted there. Plenty of food drink and restrooms at the Sunset Beach Grill...
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

For someone that has been there 4 times, here's the run down.

Sonesta and Royal Islander Club are your best bets. As for transportation I suggest you take the $1 vans instead of taxi(over priced). They pretty much take you most places on the Dutch Side and a few on the French. Philippsburg is about a 15 minute ride. If you plan to explore the French side rent a car for the day. The town of Maho is right next to the airport. There's some good food to be had.

Spotting. Plenty of locations to shoot from on property at Sonesta. Royal Island has a somewhat of a spotting deck at the pool and you can shoot from your room on the higher floors.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

If you are staying at the Sonesta or Royal Islander you will do just fine spotting right from there. There are plenty of places to eat, and shop right within walking distance of those hotels right in Maho.

My girlfriend lived in a Time Share complex in Cupecoy and if I had a better camera and lens it would have made for some great shots in the early afternoon right from her balcony.

If you aren't going there just to spot I would rent a car. They are fairly inexpensive there. It's much easier than waiting for the crowded dollar buses that are good but rather inconsistent. You can also explore the island at your own pace. Not to mention many people forget to head over to the Grand Case airport on the French Side.

I have been to the island many times in the past 2 years. My girlfriend lived there, and recently moved back. It's a cool place, go and enjoy it. I pretty much know the island inside and out so if you have any questions let me know.