Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Photographing inside and around JFK T3

Quote Originally Posted by Braniff View Post

Just curious, have any of you given out a photography business card if you were ever stopped for spotting or photographing? If so, did it help?
    Do it all the time... and it diffuses the situation somewhat... at least you're immediately going from being 100% suspicious to maybe 50% if the officer or individual has little to no experience. I find the best are the veterans... they are usually very calm, relaxed and can spot trouble a mile away... nothing beats a beat cop (sic) ... Most police departments today require at least a college degree. In the early years of the NYS Police, you needed to be either a Lawyer or an Accountant or similar to even apply for the job.

I see a lot of private security as nothing more than someone who needs a job.

And please, always use common sense if ever contacted by a police officer... this is always worth watching

Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-11-29 at 10:34 AM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Manny that's some of the best advice I've ever seen.....fanfreakingtastic!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Many are missing the point here. It's not a question of what is suspicious or what isn't in our opinion or the PA's opinion. Once the call is made they have to run down the call. Check the ID. go through the motions etc. At JFK at any given time they receive an influx of these calls some are photogs are some probably aren't but it's obvious they want to discourage it. Seeing that this is how our lives will be after 9/11 probably forever.

Knowing how to act when confronted is great but has nothing to do with the fact that 99 out of 100 officers in the PA will default to just running you off on airport property, usually with a bad attitude in an attempt to discourage you from doing it again. I don't see this dogma changing on it's own and unless an agreement is reached with them where we can practice our hobby with circumstances that satisfy both sides it's just more of the same.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I've showed business cards, published magazines, and anything out there that can show you are an enthusiast. Wearing a smile also goes a long way. :)

Nick, you're again assuming what I did/are/will do.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post

Nick, you're again assuming what I did/are/will do.
    No I didn't I simply asked you a question which I will again. Have you ever attempted or been successful with opening a dialogue with PA on the topic of their attitude and rules toward photography. In addition to asking if there was ever a way to photograph inside terminals under certain circumstances without becoming any type of watch program?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Yes, I have been successful in opening dialogue with various members of PANYNJ about their stance toward photography on airport property in a non-Airport Watch capacity.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    Yes, I have been successful in opening dialogue with various members of PANYNJ about their stance toward photography on airport property in a non-Airport Watch capacity.
    Well good luck going forward. Tell them we will be very good and not stand under any landing lights.

I hand out my card all the time when spotting. It has helped set the tone(along with my demeanor) for conversations I have had to have at many airports, as well as while airborne, and I have never been successfully asked to stop taking pictures because I come across as legitimate and supportive of law enforcement. I have read of instances where people are asked to delete their images; I would never agree to do that.

As a psychologist I'm always mindful of how I am saying something and the effects it can have on the listener. I watch how people approach me and react to the first things I say to them, and adjust what I do accordingly. Most people do this, but not all are aware of which actions work/don't work with different interactional styles and defenses. There will always be the 1% that I can't "schmooze", but as long as it's once in a blue moon it's no big deal to me.

This topic of a "watch group" keeps coming up here. This isn't MSP or ORD. I think that if it were even remotely possible to pull it off at JFK, Phil would have put it together already.

That is such a great video Manny!
    http://brandonsaviationblog.blogspot.com/ My continuing updated Aviation Blog
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/seahawks7757/ My continuing updated photostream from BFI and sometimes SEA

Quote Originally Posted by seahawks7757 View Post
    That is such a great video Manny!
    Chris Rock is one of the best. Get a white friend LOL.