Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Photographing inside and around JFK T3

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    So rather than approach it as a way to partner with police
    Firstly, it's not being a partner with police, it's a ruse to get access. I mean it's plainly clear that the PA will never agree to this. Yet it still gets thrown out there every time we discuss this. Give it a break.

we should find some random person at Port - who's high enough in the food chain to actually make a difference - and convince him that we're nice guys and he should let us take pictures at the terminal? What, out of the goodness of his heart? Talk about a non-starter...
    As opposed to clinging on to a pipe dream? Actually developing a relationship with someone with a better attitude is always a good idea. We don't have to prove we are nice guys, just people who aren't a threat who like to take pictures. As soon as you can give us an idea that doesn't include begging PA for a badge it remains the best course of action. Especially since it has the best chance of success. If you have something better let's hear it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I've spotted from within T3 JFK before, and I intend to do that again today before my flight. It's a good place to line up and hope that an A380 rolls in. Also, see if you can find this gem:

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    Firstly, it's not being a partner with police, it's a ruse to get access. I mean it's plainly clear that the PA will never agree to this. Yet it still gets thrown out there every time we discuss this. Give it a break.

As opposed to clinging on to a pipe dream? Actually developing a relationship with someone with a better attitude is always a good idea. We don't have to prove we are nice guys, just people who aren't a threat who like to take pictures. As soon as you can give us an idea that doesn't include begging PA for a badge it remains the best course of action. Especially since it has the best chance of success. If you have something better let's hear it.
    None of the Airport Watch programs in the US or Canada provide any special access, so it's not a ruse, and it's not a purpose for access. You clearly know nothing about it.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    None of the Airport Watch programs in the US or Canada provide any special access, so it's not a ruse, and it's not a purpose for access. You clearly know nothing about it.
    None of them would officially but it would be an ulterior motive to use the relationship to seek access down the road. All of which is academic as far as the PANY and NJ is concerned because I don't really see them ever going forward to something like this. Arizona and the others are much different, I would imagine you could walk into the terminal at PHX and take pictures to your hearts content long before they established their airport watch program. Much as you could camp out on top of the parking garage and do the same without so much as a phone call to LO reporting suspcious activity. At EWR, JFK and LGA their phones would ring off hook. Hence the negative, intolerant attitude toward photography on airport property.

Again it's a total non starter and simply more smoke. The best course of action still remains finding someone or a group of people in PA that are a little sympathetic and would be open to something to allow photogs to be able to shoot inside terminals. Whether that be showing ID before hand, checking in etc. All of this beats the alternatives which at this point are shooting till asked to stop or trying to become "partners" with PA. Again if you have a better idea I would love to hear it.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Last edited by yankees368; 2011-11-28 at 03:15 PM.

Not to sound ignorant, but I have to agree with Nick in the sense that you never know when policies can/will change to allow these things to happen.

Just remember, where there's a will, there's a way.

see?
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Quote Originally Posted by threeholerglory View Post
    Not to sound ignorant, but I have to agree with Nick in the sense that you never know when policies can/will change to allow these things to happen.

Unfortunately the PA does not want to be bothered. Being in NY and as a result of 9/11 they get besieged with calls of suspicious activity. That is a good thing to see the public vigilant but it also means the PA has to run down every call and it's obvious they don't want to. They would rather enforce a policy of doing away with it and discouraging it so they don't have to deal with it at all. I don't see this attitude changing anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    They would rather enforce a policy of doing away with it and discouraging it so they don't have to deal with it at all. I don't see this attitude changing anytime soon.
    Unless we find someone who is "a little sympathetic" who will allow photography...

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Unless we find someone who is "a little sympathetic" who will allow photography...
    So instead of giving us an idea you just continue mocking my idea. Actually it would be a better course of action to try to find someone with a better attitude toward photographers in the terminals. You can continue with the "airport watch" approach. Let me know how it works out.

So who have you spoken with at Port, and how has that worked?

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    So who have you spoken with at Port, and how has that worked?
    I know someone with PANY but never felt the need to bother them about shooting on airport property. Fact is if you use your head and pick your spots you can shoot on airport property just fine including inside Terminals. The times I have shot inside I have never gotten a hassle. You got plenty of "de facto" leaders around here. Why haven't they stepped up? What is your plan? You aren't still hanging on the "airport watch" thing are you?

I am going to pus the airport watch idea at airports everywhere, not just NY, and help its implementation, as it's been growing rapidly.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, Nick, but the only thing I don't like is the ulterior motive remark, which is simply a wrong assumption. If that happens, fine, but it's in no part a motive or intent for any aspect of the program at any of its North American airports.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

If that happens, fine
    Exactly, no matter how noble intentions are an underlying road is to facilitate access down the road. I mean it's pretty obvious.

it's in no part a motive or intent for any aspect of the program at any of its North American airports.
    No just JFK.

Phil if you are so gung-ho about the airport watch thing why aren't you trying to open a dialogue with PA about their attitude toward terminal photography?

Baby steps! Winning small wars, battles could be won!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

I recently came across the so-called FBI and NYPD Terrorism Reference Cards, which identify specific behaviors and what to do if someone appears to be suspicious. Naturally, photography is mentioned. So I'm wondering if the PA uses something similar and that's how the "guidelines" somehow became de-facto anti-photography rules (I mean besides post-9/11 paranoia.)

Naturally, police and security personnel are supposed to question suspicious behavior, but they should also be trained in what really makes for suspicious behavior. I mean, if an A380 pulls up to the gate, shutters are gonna start snapping. That's pretty obvious. But if someone is taking pictures of a spiral staircase inside a vintage terminal and they think it's suspicious, they should just ask. Chances are it's not a terrorist :) But clearly, they don't want to be bothered and would rather just ban it, hence this debate.

By the way, the pigeons over in T3 make for a good diversion. You can follow them around with a camera and no one will care :) Then again, T3 looks so sad and run down no one seemed to care about anything :(

Just curious, have any of you given out a photography business card if you were ever stopped for spotting or photographing? If so, did it help?
    Last edited by Braniff; 2011-11-29 at 04:03 AM.
    Believe It!