Thread: Increase in cargo traffic?

Increase in cargo traffic?

I know at BDL here in CT around the holidays the cargo traffic increases quite a bit over the normal load. I am curous as to how much the cargo traffic increases at JFK around the holidays.

Is there just in increase in traffic of the regular cargo carriers? Do other cargo carriers that normally don't fly into JFK fly in around the holidays? Different equipment? When does the rush start?

Just wondering, as I plan on making a trip down during december to try and catch some of the "holiday rush".
    Last edited by steve1840; 2011-10-12 at 08:42 AM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

FedEx sometimes add extra flights to JFK during holidays as far as I know. There were times ive seen a few 727s there alongside the MD-10s/MD-11 or some buses..
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Is the extra traffic just mainly the FedEx and UPS?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Philadelphia usually sees some Atlas 747s doing surge capacity for UPS. Taca used to borrow a 762 from Tampa Colombia and route it MIA-IAD-JFK-SAL to scoop up all of the excess baggage 2 days before Christmas, but I don't think that flight has operated for a few years now.

Here at ORD - O'Hare, we generally see an uptick in UPS/Fedex traffic starting about 14-17 days out from Dec. 24. This simply means seeing these carriers move during the "daylight" hours, so it appears, or rather, gives the illusion of more traffic, above and beyond their normal traffic on a nightly basis.

As a side note, as well, for you folks in the New York area - you may see "extra" flights operated around the Belmont Stakes time race every year around the 4th Saturday in May or so.(check your local listings - hehe). We see 2 727-200's operated by Kalitta Charters with "Equine Air Travel" titles or decals or something like that. Plus some of the Amiri folks are HUGE into horses so you may see "UN-like" movements around that date - only, usually, however, if their horse is in contention for the Triple Crown!!
    Jeff
    Chicago, IL

Also, more and more 777F's are being built and delivered and few of those, may, someday, replace the 747-400's. Just today, OCT 13th - Cargolux took delivery of their second B747-8 - so another "type" for you all out east to spot.....yeaaay!!. I have spotted all 20-something new 747-8's at Paine field over my last few visits in 2010 and 2011......coming soon are:

2 x Korean 747-8
    5 x Cathay 747-8 - all are already in full c/s (B-LJA, B-LJB, B-LJC, B-LJD, B-LJE)
    2 x more Cargolux 747-8
    2 x British Airways World Cargo 747-8 (formerly Global Supply Solutions color scheme - these new ones are in full BA c/s)
    2 x Air Bridge Cargo (not sure you get those in JFK)

B777F's of China Cargo (China Eastern-like c/s)
    B777F's of Qatar Cargo (again, not sure if you get any B777F into JFK. We get these in ORD and a 3rd acft is set to deliver later this month)
    B777F's of Emirates Sky Cargo
    B777F's of Air France Cargo of course

This would be kind of fun...for this thread, I guess, to have everyone list what Cargo carriers go into their local field and with what equipment type.
    Jeff
    Chicago, IL

I picked up an ATI DC-8 departing here in PHL during the 2009 cargo rush- along with the FedEx and UPS regulars. Last year several people shot the Atlas 747's alas I was not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I picked up an ATI DC-8 departing here in PHL during the 2009 cargo rush- along with the FedEx and UPS regulars. Last year several people shot the Atlas 747's alas I was not one of them.
    Speaking of ATI DC-8s, I heard recently that ATI is closing up shop. Is that true? Or are they just closing down their Toledo based operations?
    Last edited by steve1840; 2011-10-14 at 01:04 PM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I shall start......

US carriers -

DHL.......................................1 x B767-200
    UPS.......................................Various - mix of A300, B767-300, MD-11, B757. Very very rare to see UPS 744F's here. Total 3-4 per day.
    FDX.......................................Various - mix of 727-200, A300, MD-10s, MD-11s usually about a total of 6-7 per day.
    Evergreen..............................1-2 747-200 flights per day
    Atlas......................................3-4 747-200/300/400 flights per day, sometimes the -400 fly for Qantas.
    Southern................................at least 1 747-200/300 per day
    Kalitta....................................at least 1 747-200/400 per day

Foreign carriers -

China Cargo...........................B744F
    China Airlines Cargo...............B744F
    NCA......................................B744F
    Korean Cargo........................B744F
    Singapore Cargo...................B744F
    Yangtze River Express............B744F 1-2 / week
    China Southern.....................B744F
    Air China Cargo.....................B744F
    EVA Cargo............................B744F and MD-11
    Cathay Cargo........................B744F
    Air Bridge Cargo....................B744F
    Air France Cargo...................B744F and 777F
    Global Supply/BA Cargo.........B744F
    Qatar Cargo.........................B777F - twice a week
    Cargolux..............................B744F

Saturday evening/night is by far the best night for spotting cargo activity, as every carrier listed under "Foreign" comes through ORD - and even a few airlines have multiple aircraft on the ground at the same time. I know fore sure NCA has 2 on Saturdays, as does Singapore and Cargolux. In addition, Sunday morning after sun-up, is a very good time, too, as those that got in on Saturday night/Wee hours Sunday - are leaving in "daylight".
    Jeff
    Chicago, IL

Doh - I knew I miss(ed) 1 or 2 - just saw Manny's great shot of the Asiana 747-400............

Asiana Cargo............................B744F. Saturday and another mid-week - only 2-3 of these per week.
    Jeff
    Chicago, IL