Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JFK TWA Flight Center Terminal 5 Open House Sunday October 16

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i really, really, really wish i could've made it but it was my mom's bday and that took priority. were the period cars parked out front as well?
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Nice collection Moose!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

dumb question .. is this terminal still in use, or is it kept around for historic / nostalgic purposes? Everything seemed so clean, and crisp. Like a time warp.

It's closed and hasn't been used and has hardly been touched much at all over the past decade. According to wikipedia, there was a fashion show in there in 2004, which is probably the last gathering of people since it closed over a decade ago.

Port told me yesterday that they still intend to try to make it a hotel. How, I don't know. But hats off to them for keeping it in such great shape. :)
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Visiting the Flight Center on Sunday, I had mixed feelings. As a photographer, I kept thinking "How can I get good photos with all these people in the way..." As a TWA Brat, I kept thinking "It's great to see so many people in here again..." I imagined they were all waiting to board those big red and white TWA jets parked outside, and head off to exciting, exotic, faraway places.

Lrusso and I stopped by. We got lunch in T4 and took the Air Train over to T5. Admittedly I don't know too much about the history of TWA but I enjoyed the trip.

Thanks for sharing the restoration photos. The terminal looks great. Sadly, that great view from the main waiting area has been destroyed by the terminal's extension; probably Jet Blue. On my last visit, the visitor could see out past Rwys. 22R and 22L and see all of those arrivals/departures. The view now is very limited.

;

The TWA Terminal was briefly seen in the film "The Terminal" starring Tom Hanks. However most of the scenes were filmed in Palmdale,CA. I heard that Spielberg built a replica of the old TWA Terminal out there but I have no confirmation of this.

Looks like Moose and Mark (maybe some others) made it on Wikipedia

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...A_Terminal.jpg (not my photo)
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

It was awesome to go back to visit T5.

I first flew out of T5 in 1975 on my 2nd trip to Italy (my first with TWA). I was around 6 years old, but the images of the terminal stuck with me. For some reason I remember there was a small airplane suspended from the ceiling back then. I don't remember the details but I do remember the airplane. Chances are it might have been a Spirit of St Louis replica. Anyone remember this way back then?

I flew out again in 2000 on a business trip to DFW but I pretty much ran through the terminal to make my flight and didn't have time to take any pictures.

Last time I was at JFK was in 2002 when I flew jetBlue to Long Beach, CA, and took some time to take pictures of the exterior of the building. So sad.

So when I saw the newsfeed on Facebook about the open house I jumped on it. It was a gorgeous day too.

I wasn't paying attention, though, did the Sundrome (T6) get completely demolished? I took a picture of an old TWA Terminal 6 sign but I don't remember seeing the building anymore, though honestly I wasn't paying attention.

Anyway, that got me thinking about the Pan Am Worldport (Delta T3) that I just found out is also slated for demolition in a few years. Unfortunately I found out after I got home and didn't think to go over to T3 and take some pictures. Anyone get any shots/video from T3 they'd like to share?
    Believe It!

I've posted some of my photos here:
    http://caryliao.com/blog/2011/10/20/...er-open-house/

General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram