Thread: Anyone care to comment on WheelTug?

Anyone care to comment on WheelTug?

I find it curiously interesting, but too slow to make it viable at least at JFK and LAX. I have seen the regular tugs at these two airports drive around at like 100MPH In any case, interesting concept.

This clip was removed by the user... wonder if Phil had something to do with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgEkNYKf0Kw

http://www.wheeltug.com/index.shtml
    Last edited by gonzalu; 2011-10-23 at 02:38 PM.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Cool concept, but if it's MEL-exempt wouldn't that allow aircraft to be dispatched sometimes with 300 extra lbs of dead weight? That be one and a half to two fare-payin' scallywags, in airline-speak. Hopefully the reliability of the unit would relegate that to a once in a blue moon occurrence.

Since there seems to be a speed control to this thing maybe ops wouldn't be slowed down that much compared to conventional tug speeds?

“I find it curiously interesting, but too slow to make it viable at least at JFK and LAX.”

20MPH is too slow for taxi at JFK and LAX? That is what they are shooting for.

“But if it's MEL-exempt.....”

It is MEL exempt. If for some reason discovered the cockpit panel for it was missing (gremlins?), you can still fly without ever activating the WheelTug as it doesn’t tap into the main data bus. (Why should it?) WheelTug just saves you lots of fuel, money, FOD, etc.

“Hopefully the reliability of the unit would relegate that to a once in a blue moon occurrence.”

Well, how frequently does the APU fail? That might tell you what shade of blue you’ll find a moon. ;-)

Considering the quality and history of their partners who will be doing the manufacturing, and the track record of those partners in FAA certification (and ISO9001 credentials), I can only imagine it being a blue moon event. Of course, if they lease the unit for half the savings with the airlines and the airlines don’t pay their bill at the end of the month, I guess the airline could either uninstall it, or fly with the 300lbs.

At the very least, for the first year, the first adapters are going to insist on plenty of spares ‘just in case’.

“Since there seems to be a speed control to this thing maybe ops wouldn't be slowed down that much compared to conventional tug speeds?”

I think it is 20mph (max) ‘cruise control’ type speed button. Tap the brakes and it turns off.

UPDATE: top speed of WheelTug is supposed to be 28mph not 20.
    Last edited by Chovesh; 2011-10-17 at 04:05 PM. Reason: incorrect number

WHOA. Stolen photo alert! First clip at 6:34, there's a photo that I recognize at Mario's JFK lineup shot.

I'll comment on the rest later.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

“But if it's MEL-exempt.....”

"It is MEL exempt. If for some reason discovered the cockpit panel for it was missing (gremlins?), you can still fly without ever activating the WheelTug as it doesn’t tap into the main data bus. (Why should it?) WheelTug just saves you lots of fuel, money, FOD, etc."

That's my point- whether or not it can be turned off is irrelevant. Even if you turned it off you'd still have a 300lb hunk of metal attached to the airplane(unless it can easily be detached- I don't know how many connection points are involved) that's basically dead weight, which carriers are averse to to say the least

Installation is expected to take 2 shifts, or two overnights, but removing it should take much less.

Remove a box from the E&E Bay, remove the control panel, replace nosewheels, and then the wire harness can be removed with much less work than the instalation of it.
    I'd bet removal is 3-6 hours, probably less.
    Last edited by Chovesh; 2011-10-17 at 11:53 PM. Reason: technical correction regarding landing gear/nosewheels

They might have a problem selling this to the airlines due to "operational control" of the aircraft. In a push back, the pilots relinquish control to the tug and operator. If something happens during a push back under the current system, it's the tug driver's problem.

I think it is AWESOME, The two point that I can think of is
    1. HUGE GAS SAVINGS just running the APU and not the engines
    2. SUCKS TO BE IN THE PLANE as the APU does not cool Jack on a really hot day...fuel savings in the summer means hot grumpy angry passengers.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Altitude9 View Post
    They might have a problem selling this to the airlines due to "operational control" of the aircraft. In a push back, the pilots relinquish control to the tug and operator. If something happens during a push back under the current system, it's the tug driver's problem.
    Actually, that is the advantage. Nothing can happen with a tug and operator since there are none. NO TUG COLLISIONS (and no tug operator forgetting to undo the planes brakes before pulling the landing gear out from under the plane, and no 'accidentally' towing a plane into another pushback tug since there is no reason for a pushback tug to ever get near a WheelTug driven plane.)

I think the airlines will love it since they can turn the plane around faster, won't have to worry about a tug arriving (or breaking down, or a towbar breaking), and there no longer be shocks against the landing gear every time a pushback tug moves.

How are the pilots going to see where they're going when they're backing out?
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Not a big deal... my car has a rear view camera, no reason why they can't add that to the planes In all seriousness, the tugs can still push the plane back out of the gate to the middle of the ramp and then the plane can go from there.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

WheelTug has been testing in Prague this week
    YouTube video taster

WheelTug Press Release

June 25, 2012, 4:01 a.m. EDT
    WheelTug Successfully Tests Electric Drive System on Boeing 737NG

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC, Jun 25, 2012 -- WheelTug plc announces the successful installation and test of the first in-wheel WheelTug(R) system in Prague on a Germania 737-700. During testing, pilots were able to push the plane back, and taxi without waiting for a tug or powering up the engines. Pilots were able to move the plane through motors in the nosewheel powered solely by the aircraft's APU. WheelTug savings are projected to be greater than current airline per-flight profits.

The four day 'M1' system test was conducted at Prague Ruzyne Airport. The system performed on all pavement types as well as wet and oil-slicked tarmac.

A "sneak peek" of the full test video, including a tugless aircraft pushback, can be viewed at http://www.media.wheeltug.com .

"The small and powerful M1 WheelTug, built into the nose wheel and powered solely by the aircraft's APU, moves a commercial aircraft through the full range of pushback and taxi maneuvers across a broad range of weather and surface conditions," said WheelTug CEO Isaiah Cox.

"I'm excited about seeing engineless-taxi come to aviation. It was a great honour to be the first pilot to use WheelTug on a Boeing 737," said Germania Captain Patrick Hintzen. "In particular, there are many delays on pushback and it is where the airline has the least control of aircraft. With WheelTug, we are freed from the 'chains' that keep us parked at the gate."

The tests were undertaken by the WheelTug team including key partners Endeavor Analysis, ICE Corp., Co-Operative Industries and Dynetic Systems. Tests were hosted by Prague Airport and ABS Jets, with the aircraft provided by Germania.

"We're proud that we're ready to enter the final stretch of system specification, leading to commercial deployment," said Mr. Cox. "A recent study in conjunction with Oliver Wyman and US Airways, as reported by the Wall Street Journal, showed industry net profit of less than $164 per flight. Thus, WheelTug's projected savings to airlines of over $200 per flight has the potential to dramatically increase airline profitability."

"The M1 test reaffirms our forecast that WheelTug will soon lead to significant benefits for airlines, pilots, passengers and the general public," said WheelTug director Jan Vana.

"The team and observers at Prague Airport saw the power of WheelTug in action for ourselves," said Vana. "Specifically, we expect that the WheelTug system will:
    -- Significantly reduce fuel use;
    -- Substantially reduce CO2 and other greenhouse gas emissions;
    -- Increase safety and flexibility of airport operations;
    -- Provide airlines faster turnaround times, reduced engine wear and repair costs; and
    -- Substantially decrease airport noise pollution."

The WheelTug is designed for rapid retrofit. In under two hours, the test system was uninstalled from the Germania 737-700 and the aircraft returned to service.

After meeting the latest test milestone, WheelTug remains on target for Entry-into-Service for the 737NG and A320 families of aircraft. 215 WheelTug delivery slots have already been reserved by European, Middle East, and Asian airlines.

A full video of the test will be released at the 2012 Farnborough International Airshow, beginning July 9. WheelTug invites attendees to visit its Farnborough booth in Hall 4, A13.

forward-looking statement

Contact Information:

For more information:
    Isaiah W. Cox
    CEO
    WheelTug plc
    +44 (0) 20 7993 4293
    +1 (410) 419-0082
    [email protected]

www.wheeltug.com