Thread: Canon 24-105 f/4L v. 17-55 f/2.8

Canon 24-105 f/4L v. 17-55 f/2.8

I still can't decide on a lens for the Canon 60D--I need an everyday lens to use for photojournalism which will include indoor shots.

I'm between the 24-105L and the f/2.8 17-55. Has anyone here ever used either of these?

I've identified equal pros and cons with both and I'm stuck trying to decide on one. I think the L has the best image quality from what I've seen, but f/4 is the maximum aperture and it starts at 24mm, not the 18 that I've been used to. I love the f/2.8 stop on the 17-55, but the images I've seen from it aren't as vivid and colorful as those from the L. However, I did read that the 24-105 isn't the best for a crop camera, and that it's primarily designed for the 5DMII.

And more more thing--I'll be getting one of these from Canon Direct refurbished. Has anyone here had any problems with refurbished Canon lenses before?

Thanks!

Program Coordinator
    Why not the 24-70 f/2.8? Faster than the 24-105 and great quality too...a staple of photojournalists I've seen in the professional news organizations. Mine fell down a flight of metal stairs while covering an event over a year ago and lived to tell about it. While it does need to be adjusted (can't afford to have it fixed yet), I still use it extensively.

I use a 60D and my everyday lens is the 24-105 .. It's an Awesome lens!

This set from my trip to Switzerland was used with this set up, hope this helps

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9051805...7626883718417/
    Last edited by Roush6NY; 2011-10-06 at 07:06 PM.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Think about your intended use ... the 24-70mm f/2.8 is indeed an amazing lens. It has to be as it is that sweet spot of must have lenses with top quality fast glass... However, if you do not need edge to edge sharpness and do not need the fast 2.8 aperture, the 24-105 is much more flexible and useful to you every day. This depends on your use / need.

I shot with my Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 at SXM early this year and while it was superb, it left me wanting more on the tele end. I could definitely have used the extra mm ... so my short list includes a Nikkor 24-120mm f/4 which is incredibly useful range yet not as bad quality-wise. What suffers most the wider the range in a zoom, are the edges. Also the Barreling and Pincushioning goes higher the wider the range.

If you think you will use it in situations where there will be lots of straight lines or you need to have each pixel sharp, straight and contrasty from edge to edge, the 24-70mm f/2,8 should be the first choice.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS