Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHL 10/02/2011 - Through Window Spotting from Hotel

PHL 10/02/2011 - Through Window Spotting from Hotel

I can think of few places better positioned for spotting than the Marriott PHL. It is literally positioned within the terminal and it is connected to it and the parking garage complex by air bridges. The hotel is about 200 yards from the PHL Tower.

I had a nice room on the top floor facing the runways. The windows are just impossible to shoot through without major penalty but for the sheer fun and pleasure of spotting from your room, it can;t be beat. And you are very close to the action. The nearest gates/ramp are about 200 yards from the hotel. The runways being a bit further but nothing too bad. 300mm on crop sensor is sufficient reach.

These are just for fun as the weather did not help at all and neither did the dirt and rain on the double windows. There is also an air conditioning unit right below the hotel that every 5 minutes spits out a lot of hot air. Combine with cool ambient air and you have steam condensation ... double bad. OK, some pics. I got to actually spot three specials I had never before seen in person. That was nice.

Oh and the room? I was in Philly for the weekend with the wife and kid, museums for three days. The hotel was only $99 through PriceLine and a total random coincidence as you have no choice when you bid

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Nice work Manny.....I like the last one!!!
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

For the conditions you described, those are some fantastic shots Manny. Great catch on the AZ Cardinals special, especially since she doesn't make it out east all that often. And I just can't get enough of that FedEx DC-10 departure shot. Awesome!
    I gotta say, that after getting a taste of PHL for a weekend, and eventhough there is A LOT of USAirways, I would love to go back tehre when the sun is out all day. I just love that you can park your car on Hog Island Rd ALL day long and not be bothered by the cops. I must have had about 15cops over the weekend just throw me a wave and keep driving. Kudos to the local law enforcement there for understanding.
    Last edited by steve1840; 2011-10-05 at 07:34 AM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Great stuff, Manny .. Love the FedEx shot !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Excellent shots through glass.... I to love that FedEx Shot

Rich B

That MD-10 shot is superb!

Nice view and good work through glass!

Great shots Manny. I like the last one as well!

You are all too kind, THANK YOU But they only look decent at 800px wide... The FedEx shot was a total luck job as I really was not shooting any planes at this stage in the rotation as the light was very harsh. When I did shoot the FedEx, I continued firing through because of the humidity and condensation. The Wingtip vortices only became apparent in post processing.

Again, thanks all for the kind words. I was begging to have a clear shot without glass, I looked a bit but could nto find one on my floor. Next time I will scout the roof access and see if I can get a shot with clear air between my lens and planes
    Manny Gonzalez

Manny, did you get a chance to do any spotting outside of the hotel? Even break away from teh family for an hour while there?
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Steve, you wish... My wife has me on a serious LOCKDOWN from the hobby. It was miracle she did not divorce me when I set up the tripod the night before as I attempted and failed on some night shots.

However, before they woke up, I would be up at sunrise and would sit behind the curtain (so as not to allow light into the room) for hours listening to the tower and just watching ops. Or at least until the wife woke up and installed marshal law and got the troops on the mission at hand (Museums Museums Museums!!) which I enjoyed a lot!

Philly has A LOT to offer in terms of culture, sports, history and terrific food! Besides, the weather was poor enough for me not to feel bad I did not rush to the nearest "spot" to capture the Eagles and Cardinals specials
    Manny Gonzalez

manny....regarding that threeholer departure....I looked at it
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Excellent shots! The only other place I know of comparable to that would be the Westin hotel built into DTW

Dude! You came to Philly and didn't PM me! Just kidding I can see you were busy. Listen my house is a few blocks from that water tower under the MD-10's nose so I can usually be at the field in about 15 minutes.

I was wondering why I haven't heard much from you lately...a lockdown is it? At least she understands how much of an addiction this is...

And is that Paul Kanagie in the background there?

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    The FedEx MD-10 shot is one of most artistic photos of that type I have seen. Excellent work.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

Bump for John K....
    Manny Gonzalez