Thread: Cape Agulhas, where two oceans meet

Program Coordinator

Cape Agulhas, where two oceans meet

Contrary to popular belief, the Indian and Atlantic Oceans actually meet here at Cape Agulhas rather than the Cape of Good Hope. The location is quite a distance off the beaten path, and isn't actually a whole lot to see. The more notable sight is the Cape Agulhas lighthouse, which was built in 1848 after a series of wrecks off the coast. Even still the cape is notorious for choppy water and rogue waves and has continued to claim vessels since.
    The lighthouse, second oldest in South Africa, contains a small museum and teashop. You can climb the lighthouse for a modest fee (few $$ US), which is well worth it. The climb to the top involves several very steep staircases (really more like ladders) followed finally by a rickety ladder - maybe about 12 feet tall - that ascends into the light itself. The day my wife and I visited the wind was particularly vicious. It was strong enough to push you along and, if you weren't prepared for a gust, knock you into the railing.

The actual spot itself is about one kilometer away and pretty non descript. It is a pretty rocky spot of coast, marked by a plaque. Not much to see, but cool to say you've been there. And, perhaps against better judgement, I walked a straight line about 20 feet over the rocks to get to the water. And I put one hand in each ocean at the same time.

Fantastic shots as always, Jeremy !!!
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

I agree with Kaz on this one Jeremy. In fact, I think you have got me wanting to go visit some of the beautiful lighthouses we have here in New England now.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Very cool, Jeremy!

Program Coordinator
    thanks everyone