Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotor Fest 2011 - Sept 24-25

Rotor Fest 2011 - Sept 24-25

I know the main headliner for airshows this weekend is NAS Oceana, but for those who are not making the trek down to Norfolk, VA and still want to get out and see something, this weekend is Rotor Fest 2011 (an all helicopter airshow).

The event will be held at Brandywine Airport in West Chester, PA. From what I've heard, its a pretty cool show, and definitely different since there are no planes. Looks to be a decent line-up of attendies as well. This will be my first year attending and I am looking forward to it. Link to the details below.

http://rotorfest.schultzairshows.com/

Anyone else planing on making it out to PA? (Also, I think while in Philly, I'm going to take one day and get in some PHL spotting in hopes of getting all my USAirways specials that operate here on the east coast.)
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Sunday for me at Rotorfest after NAS Oceana on Fri/Sat :-) See you there Steve...

Blue Skies!!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Guess I know which day I'm going spotting now! See you there Manny! Blue skies indeed!!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

This weekend I will be trudging it at work.

I wanna go so bad but I will be working. I am dying to see the MH-53 display.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I wanna go so bad but I will be working. I am dying to see the MH-53 display.
    same here... damn jobs!!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

I see a Chinook (not to be mistaken for the more commonly seen Sea Knight in our area), as well as an S-92 (helibus) are scheduled as static aircraft! I passed on this show the last couple of years because I didn't feel like making the drive, but I might have go this year.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    I see a Chinook (not to be mistaken for the more commonly seen Sea Knight in our area), as well as an S-92 (helibus) are scheduled as static aircraft! I passed on this show the last couple of years because I didn't feel like making the drive, but I might have go this year.
    Yeah thats my problem also. Dont mind the drive down early but coming back....oy!!
    Getting lazy in my old age. Been to that museum though about 6 years ago. My sons ice hockey team was playing in a Labor Day tourney close-by so I took a run over there between games. Pretty nice.

That museum does have a few very nice examples, Gerard, I totally agree.
    (Ideally I would like to see more though, of course).

And, once again, I find myself wondering why Rotorfest and the guy in PA (or is it NJ) that has the airworthy S-55 don't hook up and get it over there one of these years for a flyby and then static display. Mid Atlantic's CG S-58 would be another enthusiasts dream if it is still airworthy. And, they're both reasonably close to the show (close enough).

Tom
    "Keep 'em Flying"

But I did get an Alouette at Rotorfest a few years ago, so I really shouldn't be complaining..
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Tom, a II or a III? not that it matters but I have never seen either fly. Would prefer the II vs the III but now I am being greedy.

The CH-53E Display last year was impressive... never been that close to a helo demo before, never mind one this big. When she took off, I learned why they called it The Hurricane Maker ... it knocked me down to the ground as I was a bit too close.

and the Chinook is also a great display as it rolls down the runway at high speed.

Manny Gonzalez

Hi Manny...I forgot how to link images here from A.net, but anyway, it was the Alouette ll. Its funny, but I would have preferred getting the Alouette III myself - :) :) I don't think there are any airworthy examples in the US actually.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Turner View Post
    Hi Manny...I forgot how to link images here from A.net, but anyway, it was the Alouette ll. Its funny, but I would have preferred getting the Alouette III myself - :) :) I don't think there are any airworthy examples in the US actually.
    Really? none? that is sad... Although there should be a few in Europe and Asia still doing duty...
    Manny Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    The CH-53E Display last year was impressive... never been that close to a helo demo before, never mind one this big. When she took off, I learned why they called it The Hurricane Maker ... it knocked me down to the ground as I was a bit too close.

This is the display I have been looking forward to the most as this trip gets closer! I can't wait to see this beast up close and in action.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

I would have loved to go, unfortunately life sometime gets in the way. Maybe next year, seeing the CH-53 and the S92 would be sweet!