Thread: Will the Intrepid ditch the Concorde in favor of the Shuttle Enterprise ?

Will the Intrepid ditch the Concorde in favor of the Shuttle Enterprise ?

The Concorde lease is set to expire in 2013 and this image of where the shuttle will be placed is intriguing because it did not bother to picture the Concorde

http://www.concordesst.com/pictures/...intrepids1.jpg

Would the plane be moved once again onto a barge or be moved farther down the pier ?
    You will never know what you will be capable of until you try

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Gawd, I hope so. NY doesnt deserve it.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I was just there yesterday, and I can't see the Concorde being moved away- they just spent a bunch of money refinishing its interior

They'll work it out.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

I'd exchange the Concorde for a real space shuttle, not the Enterprise, which is just a glider.

True, but did New York really deserve a Space Shuttle over Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by gpalz1 View Post
    True, but did New York really deserve a Space Shuttle over Houston?
    That is a big time NO. I don't want to hear the 'but more people will seeeeeeeee it in New York' (which is bull, since the Intrepid and Space Center Houston get the same number of visitors each year based on the numbers). Houston has devoted years and years to the shuttle, the people who flew it trained and lived there, the people who controlled it worked there, the people who designed it worked there. AND, millions of people from all over the world every year come to Houston to SEE the space center, and to see the place where everyone who makes America's space program happen live and work. And you guys whine about not getting a 'real' space shuttle? I'll gladly trade you that glider for the mock up of the shuttle's nose that we have.

Also, your Chuck Schumer guy should be punched in the nose for insulting Houston, which is still boycotting NYC until he apologizes.

It's unfortunate there are so few shuttles to distribute, however, if the criteria used by NASA was how many people would see the shuttle in a museum, and that was a large part of the decision, its seems the Intrepid is probably the logical choice...

http://c554.r54.cf1.rackcdn.com/SCH_...ram%20Tour.pdf

ABOUT SPACE CENTER HOUSTON
    As the Official Visitor Center for NASA's Johnson Space Center, Space Center Houston is the only place on earth
    that gives guests an out-of-this-world journey through human adventures in space. Since 1992, this $75 million,
    180,000 square foot complex has entertained and informed over 11 million guests from every corner of the globe.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/Latest...repid-to-.aspx

The Intrepid Museum already draws almost 1 million visitors per year, 70% of whom come from outside of the New York City metropolitan area. After the Concorde was added to the Intrepid Museum in 2003, there was a 20% spike in attendance. Considering the outpouring of interest in bringing the space shuttle to New York, visitation is expected to balloon at an even larger rate.
    "Keep 'em Flying"

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    That is a big time NO.
    i have to agree, but i think intrepid was pretty much the default location to bid for it. the cradle of aviation is a dead museum (aside for their grumman and republic collections i see no reason to go there), i don't see the airpower museum taking it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Perriwen View Post
    Also, your Chuck Schumer guy should be punched in the nose for insulting Houston, which is still boycotting NYC until he apologizes.
    personally i'd love to see schumer get punched in the face. even pied would be worth watching!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    personally i'd love to see schumer get punched in the face. even pied would be worth watching!
    The FA he insulted barely got an apology from him so you may be waiting a while.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

I don't see them removing the Concorde from the pier. Actually, the Enterprise could easily fit on the same pier. Its dimensions are similar to those of Concordes more or less. What started the controversy was that the Intrepid plans to place the Enterprise across the street where the old parking lot is rather than placing it alongside the Museum. This angered Houston. I also feel that LA's winning of a real Shuttle was a mistake. The reason was that the craft was constructed not far away near Palmdale. I also feel that Houston deserved a shuttle to exhibit.

The Intrepid has said that hey are working to accommodate the Concorde.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].