Thread: Aerospatiale/BAC Concorde G-BOAD, 9/11/11

Aerospatiale/BAC Concorde G-BOAD, 9/11/11

I wanted to do something special for this day so we bought tickets to finally go see Concorde at the Intrepid. After I watched AF1 come in from my old bedroom window, the ride into the city was completely uneventful, up Queens Blvd onto the 59th St Bridge lower deck, the 'checkpoints' we saw were not what we thought they would be. Parked at the Circle Line and watched a line of NYPD cars and vans go screaming up 12th Ave at 9AM on the dot.

I haven't been to the Intrepid since it first opened in the 1980's. What a fantastic museum with so much to see. Quite a few people showed up yesterday. Too bad the weather wasn't nicer.

I couldn't resist this shameless self-plug(I left one of these somewhere on board)

In we go

small windows of Concorde:

and now the highlight:

What a blast, to be on the plane I saw nearly every day go over the house, and for once look out from inside it instead of the other way around. The same plane that made my high school have to spend 3 years installing soundproof windows, yet you could still feel it shake your desk during 22R departures. The same plane I failed miserably in trying to land in FS98(yes I had the nose lowered).

'Failure' or not, I loved this plane.

Nice shots........I think the museum is awesome as well.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

Nice pics. I think those are the same plastic slipcovers my Mom covered our furniture with.

Being the "Failure" it was, how can you like aviation and not love this plane. Great shots and I am glad that they are letting people into the cockpit. Now where are the rest of the shots?!?!?!? They also had a Tomcat and a low time Intruder there!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Lrusso and I went to see it recently as well. My profile picture on Facebook is us crammed in to the cockpit :D We really enjoyed the tour. Great pics.

Great shots

Thanks for posting photos of my favorite aircraft of all, G-BOAD. I disagree that it was a failure since it flew with no mishaps til 2000 thanks to debris left by an aging MD-11 at CDG. I often visit the aircraft and think of the pleasure she gave us for over 2 decades.

The Crash of one airframe had nothing to do with it being a failure :)
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".