Thread: Military Jet Causes Sonic Boom Over Suffolk County

Military Jet Causes Sonic Boom Over Suffolk County

I'm sure there will be some residents that will complain like in that article cited by another recent thread about increased traffic to 22L

I can hear it now: "I just can't believe they let these loud military planes that have guns on them fly over our houses like that! My children came running in the room and said 'Mommy what's that noise!'"

I just loved that last line from the article

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I'm sure there will be some residents that will complain like in that article cited by another recent thread about increased traffic to 22L
    I can hear it now: "I just can't believe they let these loud military planes that have guns on them fly over our houses like that! My children came running in the room and said 'Mommy what's that noise!'"
    I just loved that last line from the article
    Read the "Comments" section if you want to talk about mis/uninformed people. One guy said it was a cover-up by Brookhaven Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Read the "Comments" section if you want to talk about mis/uninformed people. One guy said it was a cover-up by Brookhaven Labs.
    The only reason I ever read the Comments section of any news piece anymore is to find the occasional gem. Otherwise, it is a quagmire of dumbasses. Eventually someone always blames Obama and/or the Tea Baggers.

Funniest, or maybe most bizarre comment I ever saw: after an article reporting the death of a man who was killed by a passing trolley here in Philly, some super-genius wrote "clang clang clang went the trolley, ring ring ring went the bell". I laughed for days at the absolute absurdity of someone referencing an old vaudville tune in thinking about a tragic deadly accident.

Not to hijack, but I was reading in some local papers about the noise, and their reasoning didn't even make sense. Citing bull like "autistic children are getting worse" is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

I can't wait to get involved with fighting back on that. Who's with me?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Read the "Comments" section if you want to talk about mis/uninformed people.
    Every now and then I make the mistake of reading the comments on Newsday stories, and I'm immediately sorry. You can actually feel brain cells dying when you are reading them. "Mis/uninformed" is about the nicest thing you can say about them.

Being uninformed or misinformed is actually OK... heck I am that way about a bazillion things... I just don't go on public forums offering expert opinion on such!! geesh

Everyday, someone comes to me after seeing my photos on FB or my personal site and asks, isn't that considered terrorism activity these days? I usually respond "if you;re not actually a terrorist, I think you're allowed. I have not decided yet" Usually gets the all confused LOL.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Every now and then I make the mistake of reading the comments on Newsday stories, and I'm immediately sorry. You can actually feel brain cells dying when you are reading them. "Mis/uninformed" is about the nicest thing you can say about them.
    LOL so true John. And at the Daily News its worse. These people are insensitive and drip with hatred. The papers should just ban the comments section. A friend of my youngest son was
    killed in a one car accident on the North Shore a few years ago. The comments I read had me SEETHING WITH ANGER!!!!!!! Absolutely disgusting the comments people wrote!!

" sure it was...that's the same story we were told in the 70's and 80's when we lived down by Smith Point Bridge. We were constantly hearing large booms that made our windows and whole house shake. "

Yeah, it wasn't Grumman hardware being built and flown only miles away. The next comment is even better.

" I find this article fishy. So if I heard the boom at my house that literally shook my entire house and rattled my blinds but the “pilot flying the plane” wasn’t affected by this sound. And then what does the person from the lab have to do with it? This sounds like a coverup by the lab if you ask me. "

Nice use of quotes, uninformed nonbeliever. Jets can fly over TWICE the speed of sound, what do you suspect would happen to the pilot/aircrew then? You're right, they all die instantly and as such, we are experiencing unfathomable attrition. Last week we trained a dog running around the airfield to fly. It's getting that bad!

Friggin people!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Jets can fly over TWICE the speed of sound, what do you suspect would happen to the pilot/aircrew then?
    When you are flying supersonic in a two-seater, the guy in front can't hear the guy in back - you're going faster than the sound of his voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Last week we trained a dog running around the airfield to fly.
    Back in UPT, a T-37 instructor told us he taught his dog to fly, but he kept getting dinged on radio procedures...