Thread: East Coast Earthquake!

Here are the diversions that we got at Logan due to the earthquake
    UAE 201 arriving 22L

Cactus 723 headed to Philly taxing on November

Swiss 22 headed for JFK

PIA 721 taxing to 22R for JFK

UAE 201 taxing on Mike to 22L for departure to JFK

Rich B

Ah man. Wish i had taken day off to go to boston! Great shots Rich!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

We are serious plane geeks here. An earthquake hits us and the first thing we do is go "where are the diversions gonna go"

I have to admit, I've started getting exceited when severe storms hit NYC as I wonder what Philly will end up taking. But an earthquake? Talk about dedication

I was in a client's lunchroom having lunch with his staff when the earthquake hit. We were in Malvern, PA, just north of Philadelphia. We originally thought one of the guys was moving his leg up and down and moving the table, but then we noticed that the vertical blinds were moving too.....so we all said "earthquake" at the same time.
    After going on the USGS web site to see where the epicenter was, I immediately tried to reach my daughter, who is in DC. Couldn't get through by voice, but thank goodness she has BBM, so she messaged me that she was okay.....the wife didn't even feel it, as she was driving at the time....

Hope all of our friends and family are okay as well....
    It's the fares, stupid

Believe it or not, we were in Harrisonburg, Virginia at the time, only about 65 miles from the epicenter in Mineral. The quake occured in the 10 minutes we were driving from Wal-Mart to my sons dorm. Even when we arrived a the dorm, nobody knew anything until I got a call from my other son back in New York.
    We had spent Monday night with friends in Culpeper, which is only about 30 miles from "Ground Zero", they had lots of shaking and the town suffered qite a bit of damage. I keep thinking of what I would have done if this happened a few hours before while sleeping in a very dark, unfamiliar, 2nd floor bedroom!!

Didn't feel it! I was just getting to LGA to operate a flight to Baltimore they had just called me out to do. Must've been too distracted or just too close to the ground to notice any quaking.

We never even suspected a thing until we called for taxi. Initially we were told to follow a Delta 752 to runway 4 but the controller quickly came back with, "Uh, Piedmont 4149, actually taxi Bravo Golf short of 22. There's a groundstop in Baltimore on account of the earthquake."

Delay was not more than 25 minutes, but my captain and I were fully expecting (hoping) to have to dodge bursting volcanoes and pterodactyls as we flew our Dash through canyons of crackling mantle and crust. Oh well.

APPARENTLY in Baltimore they had, of course, the earthquake, but the ramp agent also told us there was a bomb scare in the D concourse with a mass evacuation of 5-600 people on the ramp. Never heard anything more about that.

Brian
    "My wife is an air traffic controller. I married her because I've always wanted to screw the FAA." - B. Wulle

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    I assume there's a delay on the traveling of the quake, no? Like it hits VA and NY feels it x amount of seconds later? Anyone know how that goes?
    Phil Gengler - NYCA's "other Phil"

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    ARt @ ISP, are you kidding me? The night of the quake, we stayed at a hotel...Shreraton Great Valley I think, right in Malvern, PA. WE spent the day at Sesame Place with the kids ( and didnt feel a thing. Honestly, we were on line for a roller coaster so all bets are off) and then stayed in Malvern, continuing to Lancaster on Weds AM. WHere'd you stay?

PHil, perhaps this addresses your question? LI got it in 1:15. THis shows the travel time of the waves. Much of it has to do with the E coast being a mostly solid landmass.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ake/50133166/1
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Mario you have to be kidding--how wild is that? We were there from 10:30 till about 2:45....then headed home...only to leave for Boston the next morning.
    Now ready for Irene--I think. Putting Heidi (BMW) in my inlaw's garage (mine only has room for one car).
    It's the fares, stupid