Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: East Coast Earthquake!

Sitting at Robert Moses on the beach reading when I thought someone was pushing my chair from behind. It was breezy but not THAT breezy. After about five minutes I heard these
    kids playing near me mention earthquake then I noticed many people trying to get cell service. Talked to one who told me they heard there was an earthquake in Va. My son in Boca
    tried to call me but the circuits were quite busy after the quake. Finally got in touch and he said everyones FB status was "Earthquake". Interesting enough my wife was up by Mt Sinai
    in Manhattan at a doctors appointment and didnt feel a thing.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    That chair picture made the rounds after a 3.something in Maryland last summer. This quake was 3000 times stronger (the scale is logarithmic). There was noticeable motion on the 11th floor of my office building in SoHo. Felt like driving over a very bumpy road, and the lights hanging from the ceiling were swaying back and forth.

Well I came home to find that of all the things in my apartment, the only things that fell were my toothpaste and two model airplanes that were sitting on shelves. The 1/163 scale B-24 broke off its stand and I have to figure out if it's salvageable, but the real heart attack came when I saw my irreplaceable Pan Am 747SP toy plane on the floor. It was one of those things that took a battery and would run along the ground then lift itself up to "take off", then settle back down on the floor. That, fortunately, is still in one piece.

Well, I was off today andcame to JFK with my Mom and my Daughter to do some spotting. Mom LOVES planes (guess I know where it comes from now) and my daughter could not care less but she had a lot of reading to do lol) We were at panera taking a lunch break. Mom went to Bed Bath & BEyond, didn;t feel a thing... My daughter and I start to look at each other. I felt as if someone was walking really hard on a very large suspended floor. Then I looked a the cars in the lot and all were lightly rocking back and forth... WOW! My first quake (of any sort) and it was odd, did not feel unsafe, but was very worried about the aftermath elsewhere. Then I also felt that feeling of, well, what if this is the start of violent shaking.

I must say, JFK Tower was silent in literally half of one second. I was actively tracking some planes, especially the Emirates 201 as mom has a thing for A380s and B747's (go figure) and then all of a sudden, I noticed the silence and then the dead skies. So I figured, oh, RWY change lol. So I went over to The Mounds and then nada. THen I realized the tower freq was very weak. I fiugured they must be in an alternate facility. Then one AA 737 made it back into 31R and I decided to look at the Flight Stats and sure enough, delays all over.

Emirates eventually diverted to KBOS and came in very late to JFK like around 6:30 I think.

It was cool how Tower went back online with one controller. The lone controller at the tower was then handed off all the planes in the air plus those queued for takeoff from the controller in "the bunker" wherever that was and then after that controller acnowledged, he took control immediately (real pros at work, wow!!!) so smoothly ... then the power came back to the signal. All was back to business after that.

Ended up at Howard Beach for some nice departures but the ones I wanted were all delayed until after the sun crossed :-(

BTW, hopefully someone caught Delft Blue at The Mounds :-( Saw it come in from far away would love to catch that one.

And once again, I miss the KLM Asia in almost perfect weather due to the delays I was at the wrong spot ... I will NEVER catch her LOL.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i felt it at LGA, my entire building probably swayed a few feet. at first i thought it was just someone shaking the podium i was leaning against.

what i'm really curious about is the following: was i the only one who wanted to strangle everyone at fox for the 8 hrs of senseless yapping that followed the quake and the constant video of a single brooklyn rooftop with some spilled bricks? the talking heads actually said there was going to be a tsunami warning posting a few min after it happened. TSUNAMI, REALLY?!
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Tsunami warnings?!?!? Jeez!

All I felt was a brief up, then down, motion in my chair at work...like the floor was giving out underneath me. Kinda felt like someone jumped on a wooden plank suspened over a ditch. Btw, my chair is 62 stories up at 30 Rock. Suffice to say, I grabbed my stuff and headed home....'cause homie don't play dat!

sorry guys, I'll try and lay off the beans next time
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Program Coordinator
    I was in Seattle. I felt nothing.

On CNN HLN, one reported was being so dramatic, for over 5 minutes straight, spewing the same nonesense lack-of-news that my 11 year old who normally ignores the news even said "Jesus, ENOUGH!" I felt like throwing up! So much ado about nothing.

They kept looking for something to say or to make up news... you had to hear the drama in his voice LOL. I mean, save it for 9/11 type events, or Japan Quake type events... geesh
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

My favorite was the title they had on the screen during the reports "Earthquake ROCKS East Coast". No, no, no, no.......California and Japan have been ROCKED by earthquakes. What the east coast felt yesterday did not rock us. Seeing and hearing the media over exaggerate everything is really getting annoying.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Felt it here in Boston. Plus we got a Emirates 380 and Pakistan 777 as diversions because of it.

Would have been a great day to be at Logan.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I was leaning back in my swivel chair talking to Matt and I started swaying a little. I assumed it was the cat or that I sucked at balancing myself on the chair and then realized it might be a quake. I asked them and we immediately jumped on Twitter to see if others were saying the same. Sure as heck, it was.

I assume there's a delay on the traveling of the quake, no? Like it hits VA and NY feels it x amount of seconds later? Anyone know how that goes?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    what i'm really curious about is the following: was i the only one who wanted to strangle everyone at fox for the 8 hrs of senseless yapping that followed the quake and the constant video of a single brooklyn rooftop with some spilled bricks? the talking heads actually said there was going to be a tsunami warning posting a few min after it happened. TSUNAMI, REALLY?!
    I was at Robert Moses and I guess some people were worried about that as they packed up and left. Hell where was I going if it was a tsunami. Trying to get out of Robert Moses quickly
    aint happening. And it was such a beautiful day.....
    And yeah the media coverage was ridiculous. I listened to 10/10 in my car when I finally did leave the beach just to see how widespread it was but after awhile it was just the same crap over and over. CLICK!!