Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Tracking Hurricane Irene

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    And NYPD Aviation 14 Air/Sea Rescue was over a windsurfer at Riis Park who lost his board about 200 yards off shore. They were thinking of deploying divers but the guy got his board back and they used their PA system to tell him to get back to sure. He complied.
    They were busy upstate also.... http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...d_westche.html

Still no power over in my area of Plainview. We lost power about 5AM Sunday.

The LIPA outage map still says "Assessing Conditions" - I would have thought that they would be done with the assessing phase. It would be nice of LIPA to keep people better informed like ConED has been doing.

All our food is lost in the refrigerator too. Overall though, I am very thankful that our house did not sustain any damage. About 8 houses up from me, a huge tree fell directly on this guys house. So we are very lucky in that regard.

Isaac

Wow, I had no idea that Cross Bay and Long Island received that much flooding! There are so much "hype" coverage on TV leading up to it but I saw very little post-storm coverage that showed actual damage. Were there any local injuries or fatalities?

Here in northern Queens we got had many downed trees and powerlines, resulting in closed off streets and sidewalks. Sunday ended up being very windy, with people still walking around and the Astoria bars being the only places open....and filled with patrons.

I am really hating the people that are acting as though it was all a joke and an over-hype. This storm DID do damage, it DID kill people, and it still could have, and almost was, so much worse. It sounds as though everyone took the exact amount of healthy precaution that they should have.

I myself moved almost everything out of my basement and onto the 1st floor and put some emergency supplies (food, water, flashlights, batteries, blankets) on the stairs in case we needed to retreat due to broken windows. Ended up not needing it, and yesterday I returned several packages of unopened batteries to Radio Shack, but I'm glad I did everything I did. We should all be ready with such supplies ALL the time, because we never know when things are going to happen. Hurricanes are one thing we know in advance, but terror attacks and even earthquakes (we may get a major one) need to keep us ready at any moment.

Hope you're all safe and the damage to your homes was minimal or non-existent.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

As Gerard mentioned in the FRG thread, the Army Corps of Engineers and FEMA have set up on the terminal ramp at Republic Airport.

NLovis
    I hope all of you had no issues through Irene. We lost power but have it back now. Now if only Optimum would get online, got a little of JB after Irene passed. See you all on the flickr side.

Hello from Woodmere. Lost power as 12:07am Sunday, pretty much as soon as the storm started. Still have not gotten anything back, or seen as much as a LIPA truck.

I hope everyone is safe and that you didn't have too much damage. We had power and cable throughout the storm, we only lost power about 10PM Sunday night, but it came back on around 4AM Monday. Our lines are all underground, so I would think that the wind Sunday night took down a feeder line or transformer, or they might have shut us down to repair a line. In any case, we're all safe and sound here--there are major trees down in the neighborhood, with many already chopped up and piled at the side of the road.

While this did significant damage, we should be thankful that it weakened before hitting us--there are others less fortunate, and for us it could have been much worse.

Let's hope we're done with hurricanes for a long time to come!!
    It's the fares, stupid

There are still alot of people without power. A couple of my friends lost alot in the storm due to flooding mainly. We have a pump in the basement built in so when the ocean and the bay met we were good for the most part. Hopefully people can recover fast. Yesterday doing my rounds it was sad to see most of what many people own on the west end out to the curb. The west end got it bad being narrow compared to the rest of LB. My new house came out amazingly unscathed though. I was pretty happy about that. Another bonus about this is Quicksilver has tremendously scaled down the event here in Long Beach. Hopefully that will alleviate the parking concerns now down here as less people overall will come for it. The beach is already almost back to normal size too.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

We all talk about how things are here on Long Island and the city. I have a co-worker who's daughter lives in CT not too far from the shore, they have no power, no phone, AND they have well water, so...no fresh water either. They have a massive amount of downed trees, so many that the authorities still have not cleared certain neighborhoods, because they cant get to them. I for one am grateful we were spared the major wrath of this storm, and hope we do not see one again for quite some time.

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    We all talk about how things are here on Long Island and the city. I have a co-worker who's daughter lives in CT not too far from the shore, they have no power, no phone, AND they have well water, so...no fresh water either. They have a massive amount of downed trees, so many that the authorities still have not cleared certain neighborhoods, because they cant get to them. I for one am grateful we were spared the major wrath of this storm, and hope we do not see one again for quite some time.
    People are bitching and moaning because they have no power/lights for a few days but once they get that power back they should check out what is happening STILL in NJ, North Carolina,
    Virginia, upstate NY and Vermont!! We got off easy compared to these poor citizens. If we ever get hit with anything bigger than this storm, well, lets hope not. It wont be pretty.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    we;re back online,

heres how it went down at our compound,. I went to sleep on sat night. Thorughoiut the night, I would awake and was just impressed that we still had power. Got up early sunday to some water in the crawlspace but we still had pwoer so I starte up the dehumidifier and wet dry vac. By noon, the storm was over and THATs when the power cut out. Seems ridiculous.

Some fallen branches and treees, all misseed the cars and homes. We had no electric for 36 hours and ti be honest,y we it not for hte food in the fridge spoiling, we enjoyed it. We made it an indoor 'campout' experience for the kids. lights and candles. We have a propane sotve and so cooking was easy and our neighbors also used our oven.

But we enjoyed not having hte electric. It was a mild inconvenience. But when you break it down to the basics, it was a walk through the park compared to what others have been through.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Just got power back now. 73 hours

I was very lucky, never lost power while over 90% of my town did. Only have one tree that partially uprooted, which should be able to be righted. The rest of my town didn't fare as well as I did. Down by the water most homes had their 1st floors flooded and many large Oak trees came crashing down on homes. There's talk that they will retire Irene's name from the list of names used for Hurricanes since it did so much damage and over 40 deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees368 View Post
    Just got power back now. 73 hours
    Still without here in Eastern CT. There was a little hope earlier this morning, but that has since diminished.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net