Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Hurricane Irene

Last edited by Derf; 2011-08-28 at 04:41 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Phil, love the explanation and as ocular and blood pressures are measured in millimeters of mercury, I can relate to the measurement.
    Further, when doing refractive surgery, we need other variables clarified as they affect our pressure readings. Corneal thickness comes to mind. So I can see how you're enjoying it. Its not geekness, its the beauty of science applied. :)

With such low pressures, I know you have ot consider other factors, but in a general sense, do they need more or less runway to get up in the air?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Fred, I knew you'd post. :O) From what beach?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    With such low pressures, I know you have ot consider other factors, but in a general sense, do they need more or less runway to get up in the air?
    The lower, the tougher.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Fred, I knew you'd post. :O) From what beach?
    Ocean Parkway...stopped a few times along the way. I think that was from around Gilgo
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Safe and sound here in Long Beach, the bay and ocean met down the block from me and there is 3 feet of bay surrounding my house. (good thing for basement pumps). Worked 13 hours till they pulled those of us who had to stay back and work off the streets of Long Beach. Me and my partner hung w Erin Colton for a while by Allegria while we were yanking idiots off the beach. Wild day yesterday. Hope no one is stupid enough to go outside let alone on the beach today because if you are, good luck, no one is coming for you.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

the nasty bits have started arriving in Boston

Bathroom break at 4AM and the rain and wind was pretty wild. Rain over now but winds still howling and listening to the town FD on my scanner and they are pretty busy running around
    with lines and trees down. I have a big branch hanging off a tree in my backyard leaning onto powerlines so I gotta give LIPA a call.

All good here, but just had a cesspool collapse at my property in Sea Cliff. I had the FD come and turn off the gas to one of my buildings because it pulled the meter into the hole, but no one is hurt, the area is cordoned off and the cesspool company has been notified.

Still pretty windy, I'd expect it will stay windy for the next 6 hours or so--there are actually waves in my pool.
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    Still pretty windy, I'd expect it will stay windy for the next 6 hours or so--there are actually waves in my pool.
    THat is what they are saying so everyone should be careful and stay inside. Gusts up to 50/60 MPH for the next few hours.

So far, so good in Syosset. Lots of wind and rain overnight, but power, phone, and FioS are all working - guy behind me said he has power, but cable was out... Power flickered two or three times, and we have some branches down in the backyard, but all the trees are standing. Still very windy out there, but the rain has stopped.

2PM, even the wind has subsided substantially. I am getting ready to head to Sea Cliff to see what has happened there. Haven't heard from the cesspool company as yet...but everyone is safe.
    It's the fares, stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    2PM, even the wind has subsided substantially.
    Yes it has. Took a nice slow drive around my town. Saw a number of trees down including one bog SOB lying right across Manetto Hill Road by Fairway with power lines all tangled
    up in it. Looks like it might be there awhile. Lots of leaves and branches everywhere. Saw two houses that had trees on top of their house (not good). A friend of mine had a huge tree
    fall in their backyard just missing their deck and house.
    But on the bright side if you look at the 7 Day forecast its going to be quite beautiful out. Sunny skies, low humidity. One forecaster says this is typical after a hurricane as the storms pull
    out all the energy from the atmosphere with them as they pass by.

Had a chance to step out this morning and this is what HoBe looked liked when Hurricane Irene did her thing.

Looking south on Cross Bay Blvd. going towards the HoBe spotting location. Two dumpsters blocking the ramps on the bridge going to the Rockaways.

Need an inground pool? Here is a sample of their work!

Burger King ........ have it your way!

Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

the water got within about 20 yards of where i live and then receded. One block over there was a river of water going down the street.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture