Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Tracking Hurricane Irene

From Newsday.com, per the latest NWS update.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/breaking...land-1.3122945

Hurricane Irene's outer arms will ruffle Long Island starting Saturday evening, with the worst effects coming midday Sunday -- earlier than had been projected, forecasters said. The storm will first start to affect Long Island on Saturday with tropical-storm-force winds, according to the National Weather Service. Expected to be a Category 1 storm when it arrives, the most intense effects will be felt Sunday, with heavy rain and winds of up to 110 mph.

A midmorning update from the National Hurricane Center shows the storm's center tracking across Long Island from West Babylon to East Setauket, a shift east from the track forecasters were eyeing Thursday, which put the center of the storm across Queens or western Nassau. "There's going to be a huge swath of 5 to 10 inches of rain," hurricane center director Bill Read said in a 10 a.m. news conference.
    And from FlightAware:
    N757AF/B752 has just filed a flight plan. It is scheduled to depart from Newark Liberty Intl (KEWR) at 01:00PM EDT heading for Palm Beach Intl (KPBI) for an estimated arrival at 03:28PM EDT.
    Looks like The Donald is heading out of town.

ETA: The Weather Channel just reported that Coney Island Hospital is being evacuated.
    Last edited by moose135; 2011-08-26 at 12:06 PM.

Irene from space...

Email me anytime at [email protected].

Cool stuff Phil! She is definitely one massive storm.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Looks like ALL mass transportation will coming to a grinding stop tomorrow at Noon. That's subways, buses, Metro North, LIRR, NJ Transit, PATH. Man this is NUTS!!!!
    Was at Jones Beach today as it was a beautiful day but the surf was already rough and pounding the shoreline. Some of the waves came up pretty high onto the beach freaking out
    people who thought they were at a safe distance. Was kinda funny.

All towns South of Sunrise hwy from queens border to Rockville Centre now have mandatory evacuation. I think that's a bit extreme, looking at my options.
    Last edited by eric8669; 2011-08-26 at 06:34 PM.
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    You know, we're as prepared as we're gonna be. The only thing that realy conerns me? WEll I have only been through Hurricane Gloria. I dont recall what category it was but WE drove up and down Montauk HWY afterwards and it was all fallens lines and large fallen trees.

That said, no one here is comparing Irene to Gloria but instead to older storms like Donna.

So it looks like this would be worse than Gloria.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Looks like ALL mass transportation will coming to a grinding stop tomorrow at Noon. That's subways, buses, Metro North, LIRR, NJ Transit, PATH. Man this is NUTS!!!!

i've lived in NYC for 20+ yrs and haven't ever seen an MTA shutdown save for the strike a couple years ago at christmas. i'm glad i drive in situations like this. especially when you consider how atrocious mass transit to LGA is on a good day.

anyone know where i can score some sand? i have about 3 dozen bags that are empty and lonely and am trying to NOT drive to the hamptons to get it.
    Last edited by cancidas; 2011-08-26 at 08:45 PM.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    anyone know where i can score some sand? i have about 3 dozen bags that are empty and lonely and am trying to NOT drive to the hamptons to get it.
    Just wait a little while, Matt - by Sunday, there should be plenty blowing your way from the South Shore.

Daily News is reporting that JFK, LGA, Newark, Stewart, Teterboro will close to all arrivals at Noon on Saturday. My brother and his wife are in Jamaica expecting to fly in Sat night.
    Ooops guess not.

I will be in my office this morning till JFK scuttles most likely. After that, I'll be riding it out at City Hall in Long Beach on orders.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    You know, we're as prepared as we're gonna be. The only thing that realy conerns me? WEll I have only been through Hurricane Gloria. I dont recall what category it was but WE drove up and down Montauk HWY afterwards and it was all fallens lines and large fallen trees.

That said, no one here is comparing Irene to Gloria but instead to older storms like Donna.

So it looks like this would be worse than Gloria.
    I compared the two earlier:

"I remember Gloria in '85. We lost some trees and had some minor basement flooding. As long as it isn't worse than that, things shouldn't be too terribly bad. Although, as I'm reading, apparently it came ashore on the Island at low tide and with not an incredible amount of rain. The opposite of what is now being predicted with the effect of the moon adding into it as well."

Time will tell which was this is gonna go. I'm not a weather guy but if I had to lay my chips down I'd say the storm surge if going to be worse with Irene.

My Mom actually was going to stay in Lawrence because "the cable guy was coming this morning(Saturday) and I need my TV". I all but lit into her about getting out of there and fortunately she changed her mind.

OK, the breeze is starting to kick up down here in Philly. See you on the other side of this

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    Just wait a little while, Matt - by Sunday, there should be plenty blowing your way from the South Shore.
    went to coney island late last night came home with 30 bags. this morning i remembered i have 10 buckets of sand in my backyard. typical.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Having been through Gloria and one or two other storm events as a firefighter, all I can say is prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Those under mandatory evacuation orders should evacuate, because if you get into trouble, no one is coming to help you. Government officials will not risk the lives of first responders to save those who ignore orders to leave...nor should they.

That said, I hope everyone stays safe and dry, and let's check in during if possible and afterward......
    It's the fares, stupid

Some from this morning

Many More here
    http://www.longislandwallpapers.com/...241634_dmQbKT6
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Nice images Fred. I was hoping to be able to out tot he beaches up here in RI today, but they have evac'd the coast line and won't let anybody out to the shore :(
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net