Thread: Small town short track racing (image heavy)

Small town short track racing (image heavy)

Saturday I had the chance to join in on the fun with the pit crew that my brother works with on a small town short track race team at Waterford Speedbowl here in CT. I spent most of the day back in the pits helping with the car and was able to sneak away to the stands and shoot the action on the track in our downtime. It was quite an experience, and I had a blast doing it.

Keep in mind that the race team I was working with is a LOW-budget small town race team. No big frills racing here, but there are a couple of good divisions racing on Sat night which I was able to capture. Enjoy!!

The car I was there working with (#93):

The car back in the pits after being black flagged during the qualifying heat. It was a long day/night fixing the oil leak.

Some other stuff going on in the pits

Legends series action:

Late models feature under the lights:

Mini-Stock practice/qual:

SK and SK Lites Modifieds:

These guys were getting frisky even in the qualifying heats...

And then real frisky in the feature under the lights (or lack of light is more like it)

Last edited by steve1840; 2011-08-22 at 07:14 AM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Program Coordinator
    nice set! where was this?

Thanks Jeremy. These shots were taken at Waterford Speedbowl in Waterford, CT. Its a 3/8 mile oval track that is usually good for some nice action.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Looks like some serious fun!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Great job, Steve ! Love the set
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Good stuff, Steve! Looks like it was a fun night, and it's good you had a chance to help out with the car - I've done it for some ARCA races, and it gives you a completely different perspective on the racing game. And I assume that is your pick up in the background of the second shot, right?

@ Kaz - Thanks Pal!

@ Fred - It definitely was some serious fun.

@ Moose - Thanks Moose! It really was a fun day/night all around. My brother (on left side of car in second shot) is the "crew chief" for the car and when I mentioned I was thinking about heading to the track he recommended getting a pit pass for an extra 20 bucks and then I could hang out with the crew. Well, I ended up hanging out at the shop prior to heading to the track, and you guessed it, that is my truck in the second shot as well since we used that to transport the tools and everything but the car to the track. And you are right about another thing.....it definitely does give you a whole different perspective of the racing game. I figured that I was just going to hang out and BS with the team since I was just a spectator, but I couldn't help but jump in and help out during the course of the day. I helped get the car ready for pratice and then when we saw the car start smoking I helped aout again while the team patched up a leak in the oil pan. Since the car got black flaged in the qualifying heat they had to start at the back of the field and it was nice to have the crew involve me in the game plan for the race, since it was almost assumed that they would be involved in a wreck starting in the back of the field and having to pick their way through traffic.
    All in all it was a great time and I awill be going back to help out this weekend too. I may even leave the camera in the truck a little bit more this week and get a little greasier. Who knows!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net