Thread: CYUL 09Aug11

CYUL 09Aug11

Had a quick trip to Montreal come up. After a few pm and text I was able to meet NYCA member acote for some weekend spotting. Thank you Alexandre, I learned lots spending the afternoon with you!!!

Got out this AM for a few sunrise panning shots. I figured go slow or go home

Most of these are at 1/60th to 1/100th of a second, sorry for the dust spots and shoddy editing I am working from my laptop.

#1 A quiet Dash-8? A Bombardier corporate plane I think.

#2 One of a bazzilion Air Canada Jazz Dash 8's

#3 Air Creebec heading to the Great White North

#4 The nasty American Eagle livery

#5 The obligatory Air Canada shot

#6 Not a pan, but always nice to see Mexican planes!

#7 A nice little King Air

#8 Av mode dropped me down to 1/30th for this one!

Bigger photos here
    http://jeremyd.smugmug.com/Airplanes...771380_fXJkh4Z
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

nice shots! looks like you got one of the exceedingly rare PT-6 equipped BE-100's...excellent work!
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

Great set Jeremy, that last AA pan shot is killer. What was your keeper rate for panning at these speeds, if you don't mind sharing?

Great panning!

Great shots Jeremy, especially the Dash 8's!!

Thanks for the kind comments guys! CYUL has some great morning spotting locations, about 100-200mm full frame and a couple of dirt piles to help see over the fence! Regarding my keeper rate, let me give a long winded explanation; I was out two mornings, the first day I shot mostly high shutter speed and only panned 4 or 5 planes. The second day I focused on panning everything except a handful of unique planes. I was shooting with the 100-400mm zoom, IS mode 2. I estimated what zoom I needed to fill the frame when the plane would be perpendicular to my location and then took a sequence of 3-6 shots per plane. The first one or two were typically too far away, but allowed be to get the AF focusing and the camera/lens tracking. I tried to get an image when the plane was perpendicular to my location and then another a bit past. It was a partly cloudy morning and the shots in brighter sun worked much better than the cloudy images. I started out at 1/200 then went to 1/100 and then went for it at around 1/50th.

I would guess I saw about 20 planes and took about 200 panning pictures. I will review them on the home computer and probably keep 10 and submit 3 or 4 to jp.net.

It made the morning a lot more enjoyable than just looking a ton of Air Canada and Air Canada Jazz planes

So the short answer is a 5% keeper rate.
    Jeremy in Minnesota

My pictures on jp.net

Great panning shots Jeremy! Incredible
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net