Thread: JetBlue A320 with brake problems emergency landing at LGB

JetBlue A320 with brake problems emergency landing at LGB

Citing "brake and fuel" issues, JetBlue 235 SLC-LGB is circling over the Pacific to burn fuel before an emergency landing at LGB.

http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=klgb

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/J...346Z/KSLC/KLGB
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Reports are the autobrake release was the culprit. Royal Scott King was there shooting and saw her land and said Canyon Blue took off shortly before! How cool!
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Landed safely.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

When I was listening to ATC I did hear another B6 take off right before, but was it really Canyon Blue??? That was the one involved in the 2005 LAX landing, correct? Very weird.

total non event.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by hiss srq View Post
    total non event.
    and that is a good thing.

Absolutely, trust me, there are not many people on this web site who take an interest in it as much as I.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

I had the same thing going to LGB last month, we never told a soul. We ran the QRH on climbout flew the transcon and landed at LGB without a worry. If it was just an autobreak fault its no big deal at all.

FYI to all, QRH = Quick Reference Handbook.

B6B, if Long Beach was their destination anyway, why would they need to circle to burn gas? I assume it couldn't have been an overweight issue. Just to reduce gas fire in case something happened because of tankered fuel maybe?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

Thats a really great question, one I'd need to talk to the crew to answer. If it was a simple autobreak fault there really would be no need to burn gas unless they were overwieght. The result of the QRH would simply be to use manuel breaking with the petals. The only reason I could see buring gas would be the plane was on the upper limits of the max landing weight and as a way to reduce the stress on the breaks the crew burned some additional gas to lighten up a bit. This is of course all sepeculation because unfortunatly I have no idea what the real ECAM message was. My guess is the guys were being extra caustious as LGB has fairly short runways after taking the displaced threshold into account.

On the A320, does the autobrake include auto-deployment of spoilers as well or is that always automatic with weight-on-wheels?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

There is a serparate handle to arm the ground spoilers, they auto deploy with the handle armed, thrust levers idle, and greater than 72 knots ground speed. The auto break system is independant. The breaks themsleves opperate off the hydaulic system and work fine without the auto breaking, when the auto breaks fail we break just like you would in a Cessna 152.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    FYI to all, QRH = Quick Reference Handbook.

B6B, if Long Beach was their destination anyway, why would they need to circle to burn gas? I assume it couldn't have been an overweight issue. Just to reduce gas fire in case something happened because of tankered fuel maybe?
    I used to work for Fuel Controls Inc. @ Terminal II Jet Center, LGB. At the time, we fueled all commercial flights @ LGB. Most of the carriers came in heavy because fuel was pretty expensive there. Most of the time, we were simply topping off, rarely giving a full fuel load. I would be willing to guess that's the reason they had to circle & burn off some of the extra.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!