Thread: Spiral Approach to Baghdad International Airport

Spiral Approach to Baghdad International Airport

A former Independence Air CRJ-200 landing at BIA for Flying Carpet Air. Now flown by Med Airways as OD-AMR.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

I wonder if this approach is designed to always trigger bank angle warnings or if this pilot took it to the extreme

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    My friend took a delegation into the green zone once and flew in with that approach. I think he has a vid on youtube of it. He said it was awesome. Better was once they landed the plane couldn't go anywhere near the terminal and they got picked up with heavily fortified vehicles with many automatic weapons.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    I wonder if this approach is designed to always trigger bank angle warnings or if this pilot took it to the extreme
    Not sure, from the description it sounded like it may have been his first time flying it.

That said, I believe they have to stay in airspace within the airport perimeter for safety, so it could indeed require banking that steeply. And that's a relatively small plane, a larger plane might require even steeper banks.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    Not sure, from the description it sounded like it may have been his first time flying it.

That said, I believe they have to stay in airspace within the airport perimeter for safety, so it could indeed require banking that steeply. And that's a relatively small plane, a larger plane might require even steeper banks.
    Yep too many RPGs or surface to air stuff so they corkscrew it in pretty epically.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

From what I have been told, it requires inside the perimiter from altitude to the runway
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Here's a nice little article on it, from Air & Space Magazine:
    http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-to...n_baghdad.html
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram