Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steel Wool Photography

Steel Wool Photography

I wanted to do this for a long time and John asked to do some night time photography on Friday, I used that as an excuse to play a little more than usual. I went out last night with my son's and went again tonight with Nick, Jack and John K. to do some more night time Steel Wool Photos.

DANGER: Fire Hazard is real when burning metal is flying 50 feet in all directions (as my car windshield wiper got destroyed!!!)

So I invited John but did not tell him what we were going to do. I only asked that he bring a 9 volt battery and his tripod. I did not want him to know what was about to go on as it is a little hard to explain this.

My tools were a simple whisk to put the steel wool in and I used found the first good use for that Crap Canon 7D camera strap! I never thought I was going to find any use for such a piece of S**t. If you have a Canon Camera strap on your camera, I feel very sorry for you... Sorry, back to Steel Wool

Here is the Video of John (NOT KNOWING WHAT IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN) as I explain what direction his camera should be in. F-7 to F-11 is good and low ISO and a nice long shutter, Bulb mode is almost a must.
    VIDEO

Here are some of my results

I know Cookie Monster is awesome....

In this shot you can see the Wad of Steel Wool shooting over the camera and it exploded on the front windshield of my car! I huge piece stuck to my windshield wiper and started really melting it good. I used the whisk to shoot it off the car because I did not feel like touching molten metal with my hands...

Here is John giving it a whirl!

Here are some more videos
    SPINNING

Spinning 2

Overhead (laugh was watching one of the pieces bounce off my son and seeing the look on his face!) I got hit a bunch of times by small pieces and it does not bother you when you get hit...Now if it sticks your screwed!
    Last edited by Derf; 2011-08-05 at 12:03 AM.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Fred, this is yet another post of yours that has me thinking. I have got to go try this now. I know what I'm doing sunday night!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Was definitely a fun night. What Fred failed to mention though, was when you are spinning the strap that tightly, you are subject to a nasty blister on your finger, where the strap is rubbing. I'll post a few of my shots over the weekend, work first, process later.

Awesome, awesome stuff. I need to get out and try all these techniques you're presenting.

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Steel Wool info - Make sure you purchase 00, 000, or 0000 so it will light easily.... if you buy 0 you will have issues setting it on fire.

A lighter or a 9 volt works....9 volt works much better but be careful as I accidentally set it on fire 3 times by accident!!!! Keep the 9 volt FAR AWAY from it when transporting or you will torch your car!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Was definitely a fun night. What Fred failed to mention though, was when you are spinning the strap that tightly, you are subject to a nasty blister on your finger, where the strap is rubbing. I'll post a few of my shots over the weekend, work first, process later.
    In dealing with fire or things of this nature you all should be using some sort of gloves. If not a fire suit lol.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    In dealing with fire or things of this nature you all should be using some sort of gloves. If not a fire suit lol.
    Wimp, If you look in the photos I was wearing short sleeve shirts and short sleeve pants!!!

Fred, that's pretty amazIng. I love how the streaks of burning particles bounce on the ground. Really nice shots...

Nice shots. missed all the fun again....
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

Very neat to say the least.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    next time you plan something involving fire or anything explosive for that matter you HAVE to call me...
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Here are my shots from Fred's adventure the other night...

These shots are absolutely amazing! I can't get enough of these.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

I am planning on Tuesday with a Side of Aviation if anyone is interested? Should be a good 3 hours starting at sunset if anyone is interested! Please send me an email at [email protected]

I love the maniacal laugh out of Freddy when he see's John's results.
    EVERYONE IS THERE TO SEE THE SHERPA!