Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Details During Spotting

Your Favorite Details During Spotting

What are the little details you enjoy witnessing of aircraft while spotting?

My favorites include the main gear at touchdown with the settling/bouncing of the aircraft and some wing flap in the process. I also greatly enjoy go-arounds and even the faint puffs of smoke associated with the thrust increases that accompany them.

I also like when there's an older bird inbound, like a DC-9 or even the rare 727...and knowing the type so many miles away solely because of the trail of smoke tailing behind it.

Yous?
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

I would have to say that my favorite "little details" when I'm spotting are the morning or late day sun lighting up the front of the engines, snapping a nice sharp photo where you can see the pilot in the cockpit window (even better when they see you and wave), moment that I realize that the next inbound a/c is a special or something rare.

Also, I would have to say the sound of the aircraft approaching when you can't see it yet. Like being at the mounds in the summer and standing in the middle of the soccer field and you can hear the sound of a 747 approaching. Leaving you anticipating when its going to pop out from over the roof of the school.

And two of my favorite details.......when the winds are pretty stiff and you watch the planes one after another crabbing as they come in. And finally just watching the widebodies bank all the way around you after take-off when spotting at HoBe.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Yes, I enjoy the "perfect" morning sun more than the "perfect" evening sun, when into the engines. Europe has some great examples of those photos. Good call.
    Email me anytime at [email protected].

How about that, spotting in general is the only thing in my life these days that calms me down, the few hours that I get to be out there shooting, pretty much blocks everything out !
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Mine is kinda quirky and is becoming less and less prevalent. That is hearing the sound of the wingtip vortices off a 757, or CRJ200 over at Planeview Park, well after the aircraft has past by.

The other thing I enjoy while spotting (if I am close enough to see it) is watching an aircraft on approach, and watching whether they come straight in, crab it, or even have to do S-turns. Fun stuff!

It's the classic heavies in the summer, every time. I wasn't even spotting on Sunday, just in my Mom's house watching a movie when I heard the Pratts and I could tell it was coming low. I go running outside to see the tail of what looked like the Cargo Air Lines' 742 go screaming over the house. I laughed and shook my fist at it, shouting "you classic sumbitch!" as I felt the ground vibrating.

My girlfriend now thinks I'm crazy

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Mine is kinda quirky and is becoming less and less prevalent. That is hearing the sound of the wingtip vortices off a 757, or CRJ200 over at Planeview Park, well after the aircraft has past by.
    You're not alone - I love that sound!

I love sunrise when there is nobody at the airport and I have my $130 Sony "KICKA$$" headphones on pumping great music with an EA-6B, or F-18 Growler, or B-17, or L-39 or B-29, or B-25, or P-47, or C-47, or P-40 or .....well the list goes on and on and on! Sunrise, Airshow, nobody but me and my tripod with pure joy oozing thru my veins! It Never could be better than that. If you think Night Under the Stars in intimate.... You have no idea what the sunrise is like!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Senior Member Fighting_falcon_51's Avatar
    My top two:

Hearing *click**click**click**click**click**click**click** click**click**click**click**click**click**click**c lick**click**click* and Fred screaming " That was kickass"

or

The obligatory Moose getting flashed in the eyes during nighttime shots.

http://www.kjpgallery.com << Photography Collection
    http://www.nyasinfo.com << Jones Beach Airshow Information (Updates continue in November)

Program Coordinator
    Sound of wingtip vortices, doesn't matter the type.

The sound of an F/A-18 as it just starts up

The sound of a GE90 spooling up

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_falcon_51 View Post
    The obligatory Moose getting flashed in the eyes during nighttime shots.
    It wouldn't be a night shoot without that!

For me, it's that moment after capturing a rare bird, when I look down, check my camera, and say "Yes! I remembered the CF card this time!"

When hearing the guy next to me scream....what the hell do no CF mean? It has been blinking that all day!!!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    I love watching a heavy on the takeoff roll, especially a 772 or 764, as the wingtips reach flying speed and begin to flex slowly upwards until it seems like the entire plane is being lifted up by the wingtips, like LBJ picking up his beagles. I also like the little machinations of the gear retracting sequence, as the inner doors drop down and there's a little puff of brake dust as the brakes pulse to prevent high-energy spinning wheels from going up into the wells. It's worthwhile from time to time to remember just how magical each individual act of flying really is.

as much as I love everything everyone else mentioned, I love when you're in the right spot considering winds and such that blow tire smoke all over you....i LOVE the smell of smoked rubber =P (in multiple forms, of course)
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

If you can get close to the field, the waving from the crews is a great thing - friendly crews are always the best - and - that awesome aroma of burnt av-gas - that is just the best aroma....
    Mark Lawrence - KFLL
    Davie, FL

Community Manager NYCAviation.com
    email: [email protected]

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1538
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/9633283@N04/