Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tues Aug 9th (Korean A380 arrival)

Tues Aug 9th (Korean A380 arrival)

Hey guys,

I know its a weekday, but just curious as to who is going to be out spotting on the 9th. I've put in for a vacation day from work to head down to catch the inaugural arrival of the Korean whale jet. I'm most likely heading down after work on Monday the 8th so I'll be catching some flights in the last rays of light on Monday and will be around all day from sunrise til sunset on Tuesday. Of course, this is weather permitting. If the forecast looks like a washout, I'm going to cancel my vacation day and save the trip for the following weekend.

I plan on catching arrivals in the AM on Tuesday until the Korean flight comes in and then assuming the setup allows it, head to HoBe to catch KK departures until the Korean leaves. This is just preliminary ideas, but will ultimately head to whereever the pattern will allow for the best shots.
    Last edited by steve1840; 2011-08-01 at 10:36 AM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Looks like I should be free, and if so, I'll be out.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1840 View Post
    Hey guys,

I know its a weekday, but just curious as to who is going to be out spotting on the 9th. I've put in for a vacation day from work to head down to catch the inaugural arrival of the Korean whale jet. I'm most likely heading down after work on Monday the 8th so I'll be catching some flights in the last rays of light on Monday and will be around all day from sunrise til sunset on Tuesday. Of course, this is weather permitting. If the forecast looks like a washout, I'm going to cancel my vacation day and save the trip for the following weekend.

I plan on catching arrivals in the AM on Tuesday until the Korean flight comes in and then assuming the setup allows it, head to HoBe to catch KK departures until the Korean leaves. This is just preliminary ideas, but will ultimately head to whereever the pattern will allow for the best shots.
    I will most definitely will be out....
    It's hard to take chances but sometimes it's better if you do

http://www.southpawcaptures.com
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/southpawcaptures/
    On Twitter @southpawcapture

I can dream...but I'm working.

I will most definitely be there, unless, of course, the weather becomes über-crappy.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Regrettably, I cannot make it. I'm having my chocolate starfish bleached that day.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Can I watch?

Besides, Kenny, If I saw you at this event, I will call Airbus to have you represent their next A380 delivery!
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    Can I watch?

Besides, Kenny, If I saw you at this event, I will call Airbus to have you represent their next A380 delivery!
    Only if you promise to hold my hand lol.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

Even as big of a B747 fan I am, I (and obviously Lrusso) will probably still come out for this big blue whale.

I've been keeping an eye on the weather and right now its not looking all that favorable. But, then again, its still a week away. Hopefully the weather forecast will change and it will be a nice clear sunny day. I am definitely looking forward to some good weather and to come down again and hang out with the crew and possibly meet some new faces.

If I don't make it down on Mon/Tues, I will most likely 100% be down Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net

Just started 5 days mini vaca ........ first day back to work, Tue Aug 8th

Looking forward for the awesome NYC coverage.
    Raj

Every trip to NY and back costs over $50 for me between tolls and gas. It really has gotten ridiculous that it costs $13 just to cross the damn Verrazano(and they have the nerve to put up signs saying taking pictures of it are prohibited).

I came for the 1st AF and the 1st Lufty A380's but will have to miss this one, so have fun guys, hope the weather works out.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    It really has gotten ridiculous that it costs $13 just to cross the damn Verrazano
    That's standard for all the major TBTA crossings without EZ-Pass. Most charge $6.50 each way, the VZ charges $13 one way, $9.60 with EZ-Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    That's standard for all the major TBTA crossings without EZ-Pass. Most charge $6.50 each way, the VZ charges $13 one way, $9.60 with EZ-Pass.
    I guess my point is, that's literally highway robbery. No way it should cost that much unless, like down here in Philly, bridge tolls go towards more than just upkeep costs (like towards pet projects and the pockets of Port board execs). Have you seen the Verrazano lately? The paint is peeling right off it. If you're going to charge that much money, at least paint the damn thing.

Same reason I don't go to the movies anymore. No way should it cost over $10 to see a damn movie.

But that is straying from this thread. Carry on, gentlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by megatop412 View Post
    Every trip to NY and back costs over $50 for me between tolls and gas.
    I wish it was that cheap for me to come down to JFK from where I am in CT. Right now it cost me about $85 just for gas in my truck and then another $15 for tolls.

And I do agree about the toll costs. 6.50 each way on the Whitestone and its always under construction, but never seems to improve.
    Last edited by steve1840; 2011-08-03 at 08:25 PM.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

JetPhotos.net