Thread: what is a plane-spotter

what is a plane-spotter

hey guys, I'm writing my thesis paper on aircraft photography, and I need a specifically cited definition or explanation (a detailed one) of what the intentions of a plane spotter is in comparison to what a photographer who takes images of airplanes for artistic sake.

Im looking for quotes from books you guys might have or direct quotes from you guys, so long as your willing to let me cite you in my paper.

thanks guys! happy landings!

Sam

Program Coordinator
    Our site actually has a page that touches on your inquiry! http://nycaviation.com/what-is-planespotting/ Wikipedia actually also posits a pretty strong definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_spotting

To address your question a bit more directly, I’m not sure that there has to be a difference. However, I think it is reasonable to say, as both aforelinked definitions point out, that the intention of the plane spotter is rooted in a) enthusiasm and appreciation for aircraft, b) documentation of what you’ve seen, and c) getting as good an image as possible in the process.
    Someone utilizing aviation as subject matter for artistic sake follows similar guidelines but doesn’t necessarily have to appreciate aircraft, and is putting the shot concept ahead of documentation.
    That’s where, to me, it gets a bit gray. I know guys who go out spotting and have a very set idea in their head of the image they want to create…and they make photographs/art while spotting. I guess that’s part of the difference to me: going out and shooting what you get how you get it vs going out with a specific shot in mind that you’ve planned out.
    And then of course there are controlled photo shoots, whether on the ground or in the air, in which you sculpt exactly the kind of shot you want. Intentions though, vary widely. Could just be for yourself, could be for the owner, for a company, for whatever.

At the very least, that’s how I feel the differences fall when I’m out photographing aviation. I consider myself to be spotting when I just show up to Boeing Field with a camera to shoot for the heck of it – I have no particular shot in mind…just framing up whatever comes into my viewfinder. I consider myself to not really be spotting anymore when I’m out and have a specific shot in mind that I have thought about and planned for. Hope that helps?

when i speak of aviation art photography I'm speaking of somebody like Jeffery Milstein, and his series on aircraft.

Program Coordinator
    I think the intent is art in the sense of "fine art" which is very different than all the stuff I talked about. Intentions?...you'd have to ask Jeffery what he was after.

spotting is when you'll spend countless hours in the searing heat or frigged cold sweating off your cajones or admiring how hard your nipples are while trying to catch the elusive Wunala Dreaming....and coming to the realization at the end of the day that not only did you not catch it, you may never see it in person. It's an emotional rollercoaster whereby the photographer places more emphasis on how to remain somewhat sane when the odds are entirely against him or her.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

can i quote you on that glory hole? PM me with your real name and also if you want to add a little extra, that was perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by jerslice View Post
    I think the intent is art in the sense of "fine art" which is very different than all the stuff I talked about. Intentions?...you'd have to ask Jeffery what he was after.
    well thats what I'm trying to get at, i have to define the difference between jeff and the common spotter in terms of drive and value in the shot taken.

Here's an example...

Shot taken by a spotter - side on, good light, airline logos and registration clearly visible.

Here's a shot by a photographer taking an image of an aircraft for "artistic sake"

As Jeremy said, the lines get blurred, you don't necessarily have to be a "spotter" or an "artist", you can be both, depending on what you are after at that particular moment.

Program Coordinator
    can i quote you on that glory hole?
    And that is exactly why Mike's screename is at once both awesome and unfortunate.

I was always on the understanding that 'plane spotting' originated from the UK back in the war years of WW2, when spotters would count off the allied aircraft departing from bases in England & Scotland crossing the English Channel into France & beyond on bombing runs etc, they also would record the number of returning aircraft from missions also. The spotters played an important role also being able to count off inbound enemy aircraft as radar technology back in those days was no way near advanced as it is today.

Just putting another perspective into the discussion.

Regards Hiflyer

Spotters aren't just looking for that "perfect shot" of an aircraft. We always jot-down the tail number (registration) of the aircraft. We get a "high" when that that elusive plane finally arrives. I finally saw the NY Jets Jet Blue last week and got that feeling. Unfortunately, this often triggers suspicion from the authorities. I once met a guy pre-911 with a checklist. His goal was to spot all aircraft. He carried along a heavy book listing all aircraft (Aircraft Production List). He travels around-the-world to accomplish this. I wonder if he still does this. I was just waiting to see the Alitalia B747 "Baci" and the Singapore "Tropical" B744.