Thread: Media Reports About Breaches at Our Nation’s Airports

Media Reports About Breaches at Our Nation’s Airports

Date: July 14, 2011

Subject: Media Reports About Breaches at Our Nation’s Airports

Several media organizations in the last couple of days have reported that there have been 25,000 “security breaches” at our nation’s airports since 9/11.

As you know, our goal is to report every incident as quickly and accurately as possible – no matter how minor. This reporting is critical in order to ensure that a proper investigation is conducted and issues are resolved. Thank you for your professionalism and integrity in ensuring that all incidents are brought to the attention of your leadership.
    A reportable incident can take many different forms and sometimes are accidental misunderstandings by well-meaning passengers. Sometimes they occur outside our control. For instance, if someone tries to climb a perimeter fence but is caught and stopped, that is a reportable incident. If someone accidentally finds their way into a location in an airport where they shouldn't be, but is seen and directed back to where they should be – that’s also a reportable incident.

For 10 years, these and other incidents have added up to less than six per year – including lost bags – per airport. These numbers represent a tiny fraction of one percent of the more than 5.5 billion travelers at the more than 450 airports nationwide that you have screened effectively since 9/11.
    I know the constant negative media attention can be disheartening especially when you are putting your all into accomplishing our critical mission. It is important that you know that TSA’s senior leadership team are working hard to support and defend your efforts across the country. In addition, TSA has staff dedicated to doing the same on Capitol Hill and in the media.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    25000 breaches divied by 10 years equals 2500 breaches a year.

Does the above letter imply that the 25000 figure is mere conjecture? And that there have been only 60 breeches (using the figure in the note above) since 9/11?

60 vs 25000. What to believe?

And why post the above note anyway? Was there a purpose?
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

"For 10 years, these and other incidents have added up to less than six per year "

Not sure what this means? Either they have funny math or there were six or less real breaches that failed... Please someone unconfuse me....!

As it said, there are many things catagorized as incidents. An example would be the recent guy swimming naked near JFK. He got out of the water and ran toward the fuel farm. An incident report is made.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    As it said, there are many things catagorized as incidents. An example would be the recent guy swimming naked near JFK. He got out of the water and ran toward the fuel farm. An incident report is made.
    So what...I was naked on the beach this past Saturday running around..it was an event..(i have pictures to) what does he mean it amounts to less then 6? Are those 6 events, events that were serious enough to cause harm? Not arguing just want to know what he means.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    So what...I was naked on the beach this past Saturday running around..it was an event..(i have pictures to) what does he mean it amounts to less then 6? Are those 6 events, events that were serious enough to cause harm? Not arguing just want to know what he means.
    Please spare us the photos. The bubble one was enough.

Reverse math:
    6 incidents x 450 (number of airports with a TSA presence) x 9.5 years.

An incident can be an unattended bag, a person that mistakenly goes through an alarmed exit door and is immediately stopped. A recorded incident.
    Ronald Reagan

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    6 per year PER AIRPORT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    6 per year PER AIRPORT.
    It's an average and an incident may be something like an unattended bag.
    Ronald Reagan

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    That is more than enough. I don't care who you pat down but for Pete's sake keep people that don't belong past security out of that area and off airplanes. Please.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

That clears that up but still equals 25,000 events. the TSA is simply amortizing the amount over the years and spreading it to each location, but its still 25,000 events. Do you guys write mortgages?

That clears that up but still equals 25,000 events. the TSA is simply amortizing the amount over the years and spreading it to each location, but its still 25,000 events. Do you guys write mortgages?
    Congress wanted a flat number and that is what they were given. The media ran with it and of course most don't mention that a high percentage are BS.
    Ronald Reagan

I can only think of one that caused any actual danger, and that wasn't the TSA's fault. The rest were general idiots and nutjobs, not terrorists.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9