Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kiwanis LaGuardia Kids Day - 9/17/2011

It was great to see so many NYCAers out at LGA today. Some interesting aircraft on display, and of course, I spent a bit of time swapping tanker stories with the KC-10 guys. Here are some of my photos...

Here are some of my shots from today's event! All unedited except for the HDR of the PSA 319.

Enjoy!!

HDR of the PSA 319 (three shots, very processed, obviously)

TIS
    Antonis Panayotatos
    Owner, Photographer
    www.stellaryear.com

Canon 5D MkIII, Canon 7DMkII: Canon 24-70L USM II, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4ART, Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 DG OS HSM

Great to see all today, as well as meeting a few of the new guys: Wavefront & Paco.

Here are just a few from me:

79-0433 - McDonnell Douglas - KC-10 by lijk604, on Flickr

N3993P - Boeing - Stearman by lijk604, on Flickr

Fred! by lijk604, on Flickr

79-0433 - McDonnell Douglas - KC-10 by lijk604, on Flickr

New and old at LGA by lijk604, on Flickr

I only processed a few and hope to process more soon, but after this mornings flight I think it will take a while

I have a few more but I need to look at some NYC shots I took, Great day with great friends!
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Anyone get video of the participating aircraft landing, specifically the KC-10?

This comment on airliners.net intrigues me
    Saw a yellow colored biplane almost flip over landing on 13 at LGA this morning. The bottom right side wing came within inches of scraping the runway, at pretty low speed, I might add. He was coming in for the show I guess they're having. A KC-10 from McGuire AFB, a C-47, a Civil Air Patrol 172, and this biplane all landed on 13 within 20 mins. With runway 4 closed, things were moving very slowly.

RIP to those lost in at Reno and in WV.

Had a great time. Unfortunately, I had to climb the steps with a torn knee ligament but I struggled and made it. Everybody on board was so friendly and courteous. Volunteers even wanted to help me on the stairs up to the aircraft. Very well coordinated with the PA buses, so no problems. Glad to see that new AAL B738 replacing their MD-88 which used to make an appearance. The visit to the new AAL B738 was especially memorable as the captain graciously allowed each guest to handle the controls and he even was willing to take a photo which I posted on Flickr. I enjoyed seeing "Smiley Face" PSA again but was wishing for a different vintage aircraft such as Piedmont, Allegheny or America West, but the kids loved the happy face so it was very welcome. Sadly, UAL was a no-show again but maybe there's not enough space for another aircraft. It would have been a great time to publicize their merger with COA. Maybe next time. The military aircraft from McGuire was also something new here at the show. A KC-10, I believe. The new Trump B757 was an extra added bonus as well. Didn't Donald state that LGA is the nation's worst airport? If so, why does he store his personal jet here? We sadly saw no diplomatic aircraft on the tarmac but that's OK. I plan to thank LaGuardia Kiwanis for this lovely event.

Heres mine

Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Nice work gentlemen! Haven't got around to mine yet.
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    love it yet another amazing shot from mr. klos! now what i'm still waiting to see is the shot of that -10 banking to line up with 13....
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    love it yet another amazing shot from mr. klos! now what i'm still waiting to see is the shot of that -10 banking to line up with 13....
    I have some of the KC10 banking for 13 - Jury duty in the morning so hopefully by tomorrow night I will have them up!
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true

Thanks for posting. Here's a silly question. I sometimes notice that the numerals atop the tail rudder are not the same as the registration #. For instance DAL A319 is registered as N336NB while the rudder shows the numerals 3136. What's the reason? Aren't the numerals or letters on the tail usually the same as the last numerals in the aircraft registration?

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Thanks for posting. Here's a silly question. I sometimes notice that the numerals atop the tail rudder are not the same as the registration #. For instance DAL A319 is registered as N336NB while the rudder shows the numerals 3136. What's the reason? Aren't the numerals or letters on the tail usually the same as the last numerals in the aircraft registration?
    What you are seeing there is the internal fleet number for the airline. It could mean a variety of different things.
    Case in point when I worked at UA, the 757 fleet was and still is registered N501UA through N599UA minus a few sold, stored, etc.
    However under the nose they had another id# those were a tip to the mechanics which 757 they had on the gate ie: regular layout 24/162, premium seating 8/24/120, ETOPS version, etc. Those would be designated 51xx, 52xx, 54xx etc.
    Please don't correlate the seating to the number sequence, it's been a long time since I was there and can't remember exactly which matched up with which, but you get the point.

Thanks for your explanation; I wanted to ask about the tail #s for years but forgot.

Looks like you all had a good time at Kids Day. There are some killer shots in that bunch of photos! I will definitely be planning any travel around this event adn UN week next year. Great work guys!
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Heres one of the KC10 turning final for 13 after circling from the ILS 22. When I get more time I'll go through the rest.
    ATP MEL, Commercial Pilot ASEL & ASES, CFII
    Instrument Airplane
    CL-65
    , ATR-42, ATR-72, LR-JET, LR-60
    AGI & IGI
    http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.s ... entry=true