Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: LGA - World’s Fair Marina July 5th 2011 - FBI / NYPD Joint Terrorism Task Force

Phil, thank YOU for beating me to it as far as us being "kids" .. It wasn't going to be pretty.
    Kaz T

My Photos:

JetPhotos
    KT Images NY

Quote Originally Posted by wunaladreamin View Post
    Yeah, Moose can attest to that!
    One of my earliest photos...

Quote Originally Posted by arealairlinepilot View Post
    As I said in the original post this was never meant to offend anyone...
    Usually when someones says "no offense..." their next words are usually offensive.

...and never in my post did I say what you were doing was somehow abnormal.
    ...but honestly I find it odd that some people spend so much time hanging around airports taking pictures and tracking registrations of aircraft.
    From Dictionary.com:
    ODD - adjective
    1. differing in nature from what is ordinary, usual, or expected
    2. singular or peculiar in a strange or eccentric way
    3. fantastic; bizarre

...a bunch of kids with cameras at the airport.
    Speaking of offensive. Please show a little respect to the members of this forum. I'm 51 years old, an Air Force veteran and pilot. I've spent a lifetime around aircraft - I'm the son of an airline mechanic, I've taken photos of aircraft for more than 40 years, and I've been a pilot in the Air Force. So yes, I've risked my life so that you have the right to come here and insult me.

I know personally my airline, the airline most of you probably take pictures of daily some of you may ever work here, has specifically briefed its flight crews to report anyone photographing aircraft in the vicinity of the airports.
    The pilots I've talked to at your airline (or what is pretty obviously your airline) have told me how a lot of pilots there liked to check A.net/JP.net to find photos of their flights. So, if there's a memo to "report anyone photographing aircraft in the vicinity of the airports", they probably aren't trying to look too hard.

Also, people who say "no offense" normally follow it up with something offensive. Just saying. -- Looks like Moose beat me to it.
    Last edited by Cary; 2011-07-12 at 11:19 PM.
    General Photography - Website | Instagram
    PlaneCaptures - Website | Instagram

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    Quote Originally Posted by eric8669 View Post
    This post is worse then your last one. well you know what. I am offended.
    I knew that 69' Met comment wouldn't go over well. Oh wait they did win it 86'. Sorry..
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Last edited by Lrusso; 2011-07-12 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrusso View Post
    The real question is does this cause B6 to lose any NYC AVIATION customers?
    Doesn't matter. We're all kids, so mommy and daddy make our air travel plans for us.

In response to Kaz's experience I can only commend the way it was handled by him. It certainly appears to be an extreme case.

Even with Airport Watch here in Ottawa, I have been asked what exactly I am doing standing on the roof of my Ford Focus. (Military Charter arriving)

I can understand how "touchy" the NYC area is concerning these matters. I have been enjoying all your work here and hope are never discouraged to head out and "waste" some time at the airport.

I look forward to spending thousands of my hard earned (Canadian) dollars to join you all in the pursuit of photographing/enjoying an approaching aircraft on short final.
    Last edited by Ychocky; 2011-07-12 at 11:26 PM.

Look as I said in the first post I knew my opinions would be popular here. To those I did offend I truly apologize. The fact remains that as far as this post and all post on the subject as someone on the other side of the lens it is great that people are cautious of what you are doing regardless of what my personal feelings are, as I said I am an aviation geek which is exactly why I put myself through the training to become a pilot. I love seeing photos of my flights online to that I am sure other pilots agree however that again doesn't change the fact that we do and should report that activity. In this case it really is better to be safe than sorry, the fact is it could very well be my life at risk as well as my passengers. As far as any comments about who gave me the "right" to post here and why I think my three years of flying a gunship over Afghanistan and being shot and sent home to fly the general public gave me that right. I respect the hell out of Phil and what he established here so to see I offended him is upsetting and for that I apologize. This site is a real gem for aviation news. My opinions are based solely on the feelings of someone who has seen what terrorist can do first hand and I will always be cautious of any activity near our airports. Like I said I would hope no one stops what you are doing, but expect the citizens and pilots alike to continue to report it, as has been posted it seems most of you expect it and cooperate which is a great thing.

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    You know guys, a good friend of mine, rest his soul, used to always say to never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Clearly the food coloring from the blue 'tater chips has clouded one's mind.
    Last edited by wunaladreamin; 2011-07-12 at 11:31 PM.
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

A word to the wise...keep it under your hat...no one is to know...
    Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post

Speaking of offensive. Please show a little respect to the members of this forum. I'm 51 years old...
    I think Fred told him about your diapers.

*ducks for cover*
    R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    #DeleteThePickleSmoocher
    LETS GO CAPS!
    [URL]http://www.sopicturethis.net[/URL]

I love seeing photos of my flights online to that I am sure other pilots agree however that again doesn't change the fact that we do and should report that activity.
    You like seeing photos of your flights, but you feel it appropriate to report photographers? Just how does that work? From your comment in another thread, it's apparent who you fly for. Right now, I have photographed all but a few of the aircraft in your fleet - yes, I understand that is odd behavior. Perhaps you would like to report my activities to the authorities.

In this case it really is better to be safe than sorry, the fact is it could very well be my life at risk as well as my passengers.
    Remind me again how many aircraft have been downed by photographers...

Like I said I would hope no one stops what you are doing...
    Actually, when you said "...the joint terrorism task force would be much better off dealing with serious problems than having to check on a bunch of kids with cameras at the airport" it makes think you would rather we weren't out spotting. But then, you wouldn't get to see photos of your flights online...

As the saying goes, "When you're in a hole, stop digging."

Listen no one is in a hole on this. People get reported because what you do looks suspicious plain and simple. If someone knows you and sees you out there then of course no one would call you in. However taxiing by and seeing someone hanging out watching aircraft just plain looks suspicious and in spite of what you my think we usually can't see who or what is happening near the fence, just that there are people hanging around and to be safe we should call it in. So no, no one has been hurt by a photographer but we don't know you nor know what your doing so what's the harm in having someone check it out. That's all I'm saying. So yes I call it in and if everything is normal then great snap some great shots and I'll look for them online later. Honestly I'm sorry to offend. I was just trying to bring a new point of view to the discussion. The kid comment was inappropriate and I appologise to those offended. As I said this is a great site with a lot of great info. I hope to learn a little more about what you all do as I am semi new to civil aviation.

You said your airline "has specifically briefed its flight crews to report anyone photographing aircraft in the vicinity of the airports". Just curious...do they make an exception for airports which have OFFICIAL aircraft observation parks and locations with holes specifically created so photographers could take airplane photos? I get the impression that you were asked to report any suspicious behavior, and perhaps given an example of someone taking pictures of your aircraft, but if you were specifically briefed to report anyone photographing aircraft in the vicinity of the airports, then your coworkers must make a lot of reports at BWI, FLL, AUS, SXM and the dozens of other airports where plane spotters have either been given an official location, airplane photography has been expressly permitted by airport authorities, or there are just a lot of tourists with cameras around.

Listen no one is in a hole on this.
    Yes...yes you are.

People get reported because what you do looks suspicious plain and simple. If someone knows you and sees you out there then of course no one would call you in. However taxiing by and seeing someone hanging out watching aircraft just plain looks suspicious and in spite of what you my think we usually can't see who or what is happening near the fence, just that there are people hanging around and to be safe we should call it in.
    Suspicious...yet we are in plain sight, advertising to all who are around us what we are doing. Taking photographs. You want to talk suspicious? How about the guys fishing by Costco....sitting there with a pole in the dank run out waters of Jamaica Bay, murmuring to themselves. Getting territorial if you get too close to their fishing poles. That's suspicious. We WELCOME anyone who is curious to come and talk to us. It's called educating the uninformed or curious. After explanation, some look at us like we're crazy. Others are just like "Hey whatever floats your boat." Every once in a while, we get someone who likes what we are doing and actually joins us again the next time we are out.

I'm can understand after what you have seen overseas that you have the right to be cautious, but let's be reasonable here too. Before 9/11, nobody ever looked twice at a photographer and wondered what they are doing. Now, we are the "easy target" for ball busting. Why? Because we do not hide, we have nothing to hide. We are all aviation geeks who want nothing more than to snap a picture of that elusive Etihad F1 A345, or the Qantas WunalaDreaming B747. Even the NY Jets colored jetBlue A320 is on my list.

You sir have FOUGHT overseas for our FREEDOM here in the USA, please do not now fight at home AGAINST it.
    Thank you.

Although I am not CURRENTLY toting around more than a few passengers at a time (my max is 6 based on our aircraft), I have been on both sides of the lens and can honestly say that unless that camera is sporting an RPG and not a polarizing filter, shoot on my friends. In fact, let me know when you'll be out spotting so I can make a personalized sign just for you so you'll get more views on your image hosting site. Point a laser or other weapon at me, and I'll use every resource I have to make your life a living hell. Otherwise, enjoy taking pictures of my sexy ass airplanes.

but we don't know you nor know what your doing so what's the harm in having someone check it out. That's all I'm saying.
    we don't know who you are, or what you're doing...which means YOU could be a terrorist. What if the general public started calling in pilots for simply enjoying their hobby or doing their job? It seems to me that towers were brought down because of airplanes, not photographers. As a pilot I would never support the above claim (please read that with exceptional sarcasm) because it's knee-jerk and outlandish, not unlike many of the claims argued in previous posts. I guess there wouldn't be any harm in having the FAA sit in on EVERY flight you make..right?

As you said, that's all I'm saying.
    Last edited by threeholerglory; 2011-07-13 at 09:57 PM.
    Have you ever seen a grown man naked?