Thread: Star Alliance - who would you fly with?

Star Alliance - who would you fly with?

I am contemplating a round-the-world trip since I got enough miles to do one through Star Alliance. Basic rules - must progress one way (longitude-wise) and you get five stops (plus the return flight). Which airlines would you fly?
    http://www.staralliance.com/en/about/airlines/

More rules if you care: You must fly in/fly out of the same airport except for one stop where those could be different. Stopovers/connections of less than 24 hours do not count as one of the stops.

My thoughts: I want to cover five continents, starting with a flight to Europe. I would also like to fly on A380, A340, and B777 since I have not flown on those birds.

So, I am thinking about catching a Lufty A380 from NYC to Frankfurt, then maybe another one from Frankfurt to Johannesburg (or should I go with South African B747? or SAS?).

From South Africa, I gotta get to South East Asia, so I am torn about Singapore A380 and maybe giving Asiana a try. Maybe save the A380 for Singapore to Australia flight? Maybe even jump on Air China with a quick stopover in Shanghai? Or ANA?

Who would you fly from Australia/New Zealand to South America? TAM? Air New Zealand?

So many possibilities :)
    Flying is not dangerous; crashing is dangerous.

Senior Member AirtrafficController's Avatar
    I flew Lufthansa in the summer of 2008. I would definitely recommend flying Lufthansa at least one leg of your journey. Their transatlantic service is excellent with great service, comfortable seats, and enjoyable IFE. By flying the A380, I'm sure you will receive the upmost customer service in their fleet.
    Aspires to become an Air Traffic Controller at Kennedy Tower.
    http://web01.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=31094

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    DLH and LOT.

sorry lufthansa. definitely wanna try Air Canada, Singapore and Thai.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

if you fly Luft trans Atl. avoid the 747-400 as there is no personal IFE and the seating is rather cramped. My wife flew them a few weeks ago and she also said the food wasn't good and very small portion. she flew back on Virgin which she said was her best flight ever.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Sounds like a great trip. I don't think South African operates the 747 anymore. I would love to try ANZ. Good luck

Where the PARK routing crosses the Expressway Visual 31
    Don't bother with Air Canada. Fly a European airline Transatlantic and for sure an Asian carrier Transpac.

Continited from EWR to FRA LH from FRA to SIN than SIN to LAX on SIA and lastly Continited back to EWR
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707 View Post
    if you fly Luft trans Atl. avoid the 747-400 as there is no personal IFE and the seating is rather cramped. My wife flew them a few weeks ago and she also said the food wasn't good and very small portion. she flew back on Virgin which she said was her best flight ever.
    That sounds like the old Woody Allen joke -- Two old people at the nursing home are talking on line for dinner... One says, "the food here is terrible" and the other says, "yeah and such small portions"...
    It's the fares, stupid