Thread: Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III

Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-20E III

Remarkably high quality for a 2X converter. Thanks Mark for lending it to me for the day... it was fun...

Autofocus was actually better on my older D2Xs than the newer D3.. go figure. When it lost focus, it was almost impossible for it to get it back without manual intervention.

This is at 800mm mounted on a 200-400mm f/4 ... I'll post more as I get to them.

Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    could you post a high res unedited shot? i'm looking to sell my 80-400 and pick up a TC instead would really like to see a shot straight from the camera.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Manny .... looks fine, I just wish the lighting was better.

Cancidas .... what kind of combo are you looking in terms of using a teleconverter, and which teleconverter in particular? The 70-200mm f/2.8 lens with a 1.4x TC is sweet, but that only gives you 98-280mm, and you lose one f-stop. With the 2.0x TC on the same lens you have a lens range of 140-400mm, and will lose two f-stops (f/5.6)
    Mark
    Queens, NY

My website: http://mbsphotography.smugmug.com
    My photos at: JetPhotos and ANet

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    i have the 18-200 VR as well as the 80-400. right now my need for cash trumps my need for the lens. while i haven't decided to sell just yet a TC would come in handy once i do.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Here you go... this is the JPG from the camera so no edits, noise reduction, spot removal etc :-) The quality is actually pretty amazing considering the conditions... hand-held, poor light and lots of focus hunting.

The 200-400mm f/4 is NOT qualified for AF with this TC as per Nikon.

WARNING: Large File (5+ MB)

http://manny.smugmug.com/photos/i-6q.../i-6qmmFt7.jpg
    Manny Gonzalez

As Mark said, what are your plans? TCs are not really the way to go unless you spend some money on a quality combo.

Zoom+TC == HORROR

Prime+TC == DECENT, even GOOD (see Nikon 300mm f/4 + TC1.4) but you're talking about $2,000

f/5.6 or above + TC == HELL

Please do yourself a favor and really do some testing before you spend your money. RENT when you can and test or go to Photo Expo and test for yourself... or B&H and test for yourself. You do not want to spend twice, once for the poor combo only to spend again for a prime or a decent zoom!

That being said, I lived with the 70-200mm f/2.8 + TC1.7 on a D2Xs (crop) for two years while saving up for the 200-400mm f/4 and it worked well (still does actually)

Good luck.
    Manny Gonzalez

I've heard the 1.4x and 1.7x TC's give decent results IF you pair them with the pro lenses but I could never make use of them on my 70-300mmVR. The 2x seems OK if you don't care much about sharpness. I'd sooner shoot through filters then those things.