Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: As feared..We've reached bulldashery levels with the TSA!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    The procedure is fundamentally flawed and demeaning to the public. This goes beyond reasonable search procedures Manny as the "standard procedure" the TSA is standing behind. You have a 95 year old woman, wheelchair bound, who's on her last days, some respect and humility is deserved. We are a civil society but we've let this organization run wild coming up with procedures that utterly demean the very citizens its tasked to protect...yet time and time again they've failed test upon test. If this was a privately held company they would be out of business and rightly so.
    I don;t really balme the line folks that much as much as management. it always starts at the top... and that philosophy has to be bred... anyway.

As for experiences, I have had nothing but fine experiences at ALL the airports foreign and domestic... the only snags have been in the SLOWNESS but never an issue... I follow procedures, make no fuss about anything, follow the basic rules.. never an incident.

I also feel that there are far more happy customers and good transactions than the poor ones we hear about. I do not believe the whole system is either corrupt or incapable as some would have you believe. If experience is any indication, all I have to complain about is the lack of resources at the busiest checkpoints.
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS

Quote Originally Posted by Phil D. View Post
    We can only talk case by case, from what's being reported (although I've read conflicting reports so far on this one) I see nothing wrong with what happened. Wanna fly? Change your diaper or the diaper of the person you care for. Everything that happened was done in private it seems and if you know the risk or someone check everything on your person exists and you don't like that, take a train or ship.
    Well Phil if you took the train you may be subjected to the TSA's VIPR program....

I really don;t know what the big deal is... out of what? 10,000,000 travelers a day? one or two incidents of humiliation that sound really juicy? Why should Grandma get better respect than Junior or Senior? Give me a fat break... we are all either equal or not... If I am subject to it, so shoudl everyone else. It is like censorship, where do you draw the line? Who makes the decision? When does it hurt someone?

Mistakes can happen, will happen, etc. etc.

Would you say the ATC at JFK are real seasoned pros or amateurs? Do they have runway incursions? Of course they do... not saying TSA agents are cream of the crop but I am not so sure the whole thing is the epic failure some here make it out to be. I sense real deep rooted hostility in some of the posts here... not sure why. But usually more educated conversation and discussion goes further.

As someone else mentioned, imagine life with Israeli-style security. "You want to get to Atlanta in two hours? Sorry hun, that will be 24 hours if you're lucky and have not had a speeding ticket in 10 years." I heard they begin a background check as soon as you book your flight...
    Manny Gonzalez

Near FRG, when not living out of a suitcase
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzalu View Post
    " I heard they begin a background check as soon as you book your flight...
    48 years since their one and only successful hijacking, while being probably the largest target of terrorist activity, sitting smack dab in the middle of Terrorisms Mecca (sorry couldn't resist) they must be doing something right..

OK, time again to chime in. Thanks T-Bird for broad-banding and calling me and the people I work with names without knowing us or the truth. You are anti-TSA and find any way to make a negative comment just like those at FlyerTalk.com. How do I know you are anti TSA, oh by the standard verbiage you use. I am waiting for the Shoe Nazi comment soon.

Thank you others for seeing the situations for what they are.

Yes there are incidents. That's what happens when you handle millions of people daily. As stated by others there are other government agencies and private agencies that have incidents also, but the TSA is just a great target for people who don't like the process and the front line people are easy targets. I love some comments I have seen that said "Women with Cancer..." How the hell are we suppose to know that!!! Unfortunately the line personnel have to follow a strict SOP. There have been people terminated for not doing so. Yes, TSA personnel do get terminated and are held accountable for their actions.

People state why isn't TSA doing more like Israel. These are the same people who would be the first to balk if that was the case.

A lot of these stories blast out across the media then the truth comes out and there is no mention of it or it is buried on page 50.

Unfortunately I can't tell you via a public forum about the incidents where people have smuggled items and weapons in wheelchairs and on children. We are not talking overseas either but an airport near you.

TSA is now saying that they never requested the depends to be "REMOVED". That may be true but clearly something transpired. Either the TSA agent who was doing the pat-down detected the aroma and took it upon themselves to suggest that the diaper be changed in order for them to handle doing their job, or some type of scanning process detected the soiling and TSA had to follow the rules and determine beyond a reasonable doubt that the brown substance was not an explosive? So in essence the depends wasn't to be removed but "changed" in this case?
    All I can say is you hit the nail on the head...
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    OK, time again to chime in. Thanks T-Bird for broad-banding and calling me and the people I work with names without knowing us or the truth. You are anti-TSA and find any way to make a negative comment just like those at FlyerTalk.com. How do I know you are anti TSA, oh by the standard verbiage you use. I am waiting for the Shoe Nazi comment soon.

Thank you others for seeing the situations for what they are.

Yes there are incidents. That's what happens when you handle millions of people daily. As stated by others there are other government agencies and private agencies that have incidents also, but the TSA is just a great target for people who don't like the process and the front line people are easy targets. I love some comments I have seen that said "Women with Cancer..." How the hell are we suppose to know that!!! Unfortunately the line personnel have to follow a strict SOP. There have been people terminated for not doing so. Yes, TSA personnel do get terminated and are held accountable for their actions.

People state why isn't TSA doing more like Israel. These are the same people who would be the first to balk if that was the case.

A lot of these stories blast out across the media then the truth comes out and there is no mention of it or it is buried on page 50.

Unfortunately I can't tell you via a public forum about the incidents where people have smuggled items and weapons in wheelchairs and on children. We are not talking overseas either but an airport near you.

All I can say is you hit the nail on the head...
    You're welcome! I do know some of you and the backgrounds, but like yourself I cannot comment in a public forum. Care to weigh in on the Cancer Cluster at Boston Logan? I thought you stated those scanners were tested to be safe? Some of your agents would now tend to disagree. Never understood why the TSA just didn't have a third party physicist confirm the dose levels... There's a reason the TSA is an easy target...

Manny Gonzalez

Hmmm I may not be an expert on high level security protocols but sounds to me like this...."either remove the diaper or you ain't flying." Nah that's not forcing someone..not at all. For those who think nothing wrong was done here and you would not be upset if this happened to your family...you’re being totally disingenuous... Simply because you have an "SOP", "Procedure", or whatever else you want to call it doesn't mean it’s not incredibly stupid...

“I have no problem with someone doing their job; I have a problem with the protocol,” she said. “Someone in a wheelchair is the last person who needs to be subjected to a pat-down.”
    Actually they are due to the possibility of smuggling and item. Easily used to throw off an Officer.

“When I started crying, that triggered security that I might be a type of a risk because I had a ‘different behavior,’” Weber said.
    Actually needed to be cleared because you just had a person who had a suspect item on them and then when they come back they are cleared. The person with them could have put the item on themselves.

TSA Officers would love to treat everyone as just all innocent but then they fail a test which is done (yes, including people in wheelchairs) and risk losing their job.

Unfortunately EVERYONE is suspect until proved otherwise.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    "either remove the diaper or you ain't flying."
    No one ever said that!!! They said they were unable to clear the suspect "wad".

See it is comments that are taken out of context or just plainly mis-stated that feeds the misinformation of what the actual agenda is and that is to further your cause against the TSA as a whole. We should have ESP and know you are coming toward the checkpoint and part the seas and throw the red carpet down because you approach. How dare us mear mortals question your superiority.

Simply because you have an "SOP", "Procedure", or whatever else you want to call it doesn't mean it’s not incredibly stupid...
    And so are many laws but they must be followed.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by emshighway View Post
    And so are many laws but they must be followed.
    AHHHH!! We have our Frost/Nixon moment finally!! The admission we've all been looking for! The TSA admits their protocols are incredibly stupid!!! This topic of discussion is over! :) Glad I was able to spice things up a bit!

I was going to stay out of this one, because I can see points on both sides of the argument. I just read a thread, however, in another site, which indicates that there is a dramatic surge in TSA employees developing cancer from exposure to these new scanners.

I am posting the links here, but IF proven true, I think this opens up a WHOLE other can of worms...
    http://www.infowars.com/cancer-surge...ches-cover-up/

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...cancer-cluster

There was another link to a set of emails, but as that is of dubious legality I am refraining from posting that here.

Point is--my wife as you know is a cancer survivor and has gotten legislation passed to MANDATE disclosure of information which can help catch breast cancer early. We are VERY sensitive to radiation issues, and IF this is true, it changes the whole complexion of the issue.
    It's the fares, stupid

Sorry, not an official TSA comment but nice try.
    Ronald Reagan

If experience is any indication, all I have to complain about is the lack of resources at the busiest checkpoints.
    You have to blame Congress on this one. They are the ones who set the number of Officers and their bill cuts the number by 5000 this year. Oh by the way the way there are only 43,000 Officers nationwide and every airport gets a piece of the pie.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Art at ISP View Post
    I was going to stay out of this one, because I can see points on both sides of the argument. I just read a thread, however, in another site, which indicates that there is a dramatic surge in TSA employees developing cancer from exposure to these new scanners.

I am posting the links here, but IF proven true, I think this opens up a WHOLE other can of worms...
    http://www.infowars.com/cancer-surge...ches-cover-up/

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-feat...cancer-cluster

There was another link to a set of emails, but as that is of dubious legality I am refraining from posting that here.

Point is--my wife as you know is a cancer survivor and has gotten legislation passed to MANDATE disclosure of information which can help catch breast cancer early. We are VERY sensitive to radiation issues, and IF this is true, it changes the whole complexion of the issue.
    I haven't analyzed this all yet. My personal opinion is I would prefer to see the thermal imagers. There wouldn't be the radiation or privacy issues as it doesn't emit anything and just shows cold spots. The Back Scatter and Millimeter wave were pushed out by order of the President. I have been through the Backscatter many times and have been there during the radiation leak tests and seen the readings.

Not to make excuses but pretty much everything is emitting radiation or EMFs. Look at cell phones. Many reports show they cause cancer but sales are at the highest.
    Ronald Reagan