Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA in talks with Airbus..

AA in talks with Airbus..

AA has been in the talks with Airbus of ordering 100 narrowbodies to replace the MD-80s and 757s according to bloomberg

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...le-planes.html
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

Say it isn't so! Maybe Boeing will get their head out of the sand now and start coming up or announce something.

I do not see it happening. It's more than likely a gimmick to get Boeing to give them the same sweetheart deal they gave Alaska for the 739ER.
    Southwest Airlines-"Once it pop's it's time to stop" Southwest Airlines-"Our Shamu's are almost real" Southwest Airlines -"We blow our top real easy" Southwest Airlines- "You can't top us..... really"

AA was an Airbus customer already. The news out of the Paris Airshow is that airlines are paying very close attention to planes that are highly fuel efficient. AA need narrow bodies now...not years from now. If Boeing can't deliver they will go to who can. As I said in another post....all those B6 A321 and NEO 320 will look good in the Eagle's colors ;) LOL

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    need narrow bodies now...not years from now. If Boeing can't deliver they will go to who can. As I said in another post....all those B6 A321 and NEO 320 will look good in the Eagle's colors ;) LOL
    Not those that cant be polished!!! lol
    Sergio has been a huge Delta Air Lines fan since 1992!!

Sergio Cardona

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....e=1&display=15

This could be it.

Big announcement tomorrow, as per Jon Ostrower at Flight International.

Confirmed: American Airlines to announce aircraft order Wednesday (July 20, 2011)
    by Jon Ostrower
    Flightblogger
    Flight International
    July 19, 2011

American Airlines will announce Wednesday a purchase of commercial aircraft, ending a month of speculation since the Paris Air Show about the timing of the order, which could be for more than 250 single-aisle aircraft, an industry source confirms. The breakdown of the order between Boeing and Airbus, however, remains unknown.

people are saying split order with Boeing offering a reengined 737, and prob. A321 neo's to replace the B757's
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

traffic two o'clock two miles southbound flight of four C-130s
    A321 does not = B757.
    it is mathematically impossible for either hummingbirds, or helicopters to fly. fortunately, neither are aware of this.

Well the word is out... Mixed order but looks like the A320 will be a solid part of AA's fleet. This is a huge victory for Airbus. Interesting that it seems they talk about the 737 and the A320 as replacing the 767-200.... That doesn't make sense and they won't be able to provide their Flagship service using 737s...

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3286
    Last edited by T-Bird76; 2011-07-20 at 08:08 AM.

Looks like AA will join the rest of the domestic carriers....narrow-body domestic, and wide-body international. What I am amazed at it the sheer volume of this order. Supposedly AA does not have one of the strongest balance sheets, how the heck did they get both Airbus & Boeing to agree to a purchase order this large? IF, and I repeat IF, AA down the road needs to file Chapter 11...one would think they could not accept any new aircraft (using UA, CO & DL as examples). Wouldn't that put both A & B in a poor financial position?

Quote Originally Posted by cancidas View Post
    A321 does not = B757.
    read an story where they determined that the A321neo is the closest replacement to the B757 though without the range

Quote Originally Posted by lijk604 View Post
    Looks like AA will join the rest of the domestic carriers....narrow-body domestic, and wide-body international. What I am amazed at it the sheer volume of this order. Supposedly AA does not have one of the strongest balance sheets, how the heck did they get both Airbus & Boeing to agree to a purchase order this large? IF, and I repeat IF, AA down the road needs to file Chapter 11...one would think they could not accept any new aircraft (using UA, CO & DL as examples). Wouldn't that put both A & B in a poor financial position?
    While AA's current balance sheet is less then stellar they have some feathers in their cap the other U.S carriers don't. This order was the last hurdle they faced that will allow them to shed the gas guzzling Mad Dogs. Just some key things that AA has...

DFW- DFW is the strongest geographically located hub in the Americas with room to grow. Its a key access point for Asia, the America's, and Europe. Being able to serve either side of the globe with one stop passenger and cargo service means American and its One World partners can do things other airlines can't. Plus DFW's layout is highly efficient and the airport has room to grow. While IAH's location is also a plus the design doesn't match that of DFW.

JFK- AA's investment in JFK and current improvements going on a LGA with the B6 relationship gave them a head start on Delta and a competitive match to CO at EWR.

One World- While the One World alliance may not be the largest it does consist of the strongest carriers on the planet with flexibility and scheduling advantages over the others.

Its going to be an uphill battle for AA to return to profit and there's 2 HUGE risks AA faces that could sink them into Chapter 11 pretty quickly. The first is a deep double dip recession, all of AA's plans are highly dependent on a recovering economy. The second is another attack on the commercial aviation system that drives off flyers in droves. In the end AA really had no choice but to do this order, they had to take the risk or they'd be passed up by the other U.S Carriers. The great thing here is that a U.S company has taken such a dive into upgrading itself and this announcement isn't from some other nation. I think it really proves that the U.S market is still the strongest commercial market on the planet.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    @ Klos, from what I heard on the news, Airbus and Boeing both financed the orders so that made the deal for AA. The net gain in changing the aging fleet is 20 to 30% fuel savings.

Great for the psyche of American Airlines as well as perhaps the American psyche. However, too bad it wasn't all a US based order from Boeing.

Now, more importantly:

Color schemes for the carbon fiber 320s, and 787s? ;-)
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    Now, more importantly:

Color schemes for the carbon fiber 320s, and 787s? ;-)
    Hopefully not the same dull gray the A300's were when they were delivered

Quote Originally Posted by Ari707 View Post
    Hopefully not the same dull gray the A300's were when they were delivered
    Not that I would want to see the polished metal airframes go away, but maybe this will be a chance for AA to re-invent their color scheme.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net