Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP is really is delusional...

ISP is really is delusional...

Town of Islip officals really must be delusional..... They are putting on a full court press to bring International service to ISP??? Are they kidding? They may want to start with obtaining decent domestic service before they try to cross the pond...

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/s...ghts-1.2969510

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    They may want to start with obtaining decent domestic service before they try to cross the pond...
    It sounds like they are working on that too...they can't do both?

I can't see the article. Are they specifically targeting Europe flights or intl flights in general? Southwest could start flying to the Caribbean from ISP in the next couple years.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

All they say is "international", Matt, without specifics. Really, the article mostly focuses on working with the FAA and Customs and Border Protection for appropriate facilities and services for international travelers. The article also says:

Coincidentally, airport commissioner Teresa Rizzuto heads this week to an airline industry conference to "speed date" a group of carriers in an attempt to woo them to MacArthur. Rizzuto confirmed Friday that she will meet with representatives of eight airlines, including four that fly international routes, during the two-day Airport Council International conference, starting Wednesday in Cleveland.
    Which is why I said it looks like they are working to increase domestic service as well as international.

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bird76 View Post
    They may want to start with obtaining decent domestic service before they try to cross the pond...
    This coming from someone who flew them regularly enough to reflect it in his previous license plates.

Honestly, if they can swing service across the pond, then why not? its one added point for the rest of eastern parts of Long Island to bounce from. Must be nice to live in Manorville and take advantage of service that you dont have to trek into Jamaica for.

As far as other domestic service, let the market decide. Right now its geared to Snowbirds.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I think the reference to "international" could be as simple as Canada or the Caribbean. I doubt there would be enough demand to offer Europe as a destination, plus there would be weight and balance challenges with most aircraft and a 7002 foot runway.

That said, they really need to bolster the dismal domestic schedule before thinking about service which would requiire installing a FIS on the property ...
    It's the fares, stupid

IFP, ISP, JFK, IGM, SAN, VCV, LGA, LAX, SEE, LAS
    This is much ado about nothing. Small international charters already fly in to ISP. Like Art said the extent of this will be Canada maybe or Caribbean. No European anything is going to want to go anywhere near ISP. No reason to.

I think Rep. Israel is just being doing a little face time thing here.
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by NIKV69 View Post
    No European anything is going to want to go anywhere near ISP. No reason to.
    There was that talk about Ryanair launching a long-haul brand, possibly to ISP, but given current fuel prices and the economy that seems unlikely anytime soon.
    Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem.
    All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them under control.
    I trust you are not in too much distress. —Captain Eric Moody, British Airways Flight 9

Quote Originally Posted by GothamSpotter View Post
    There was that talk about Ryanair launching a long-haul brand, possibly to ISP, but given current fuel prices and the economy that seems unlikely anytime soon.
    Has to be one of the most foolish ideas ever. What would somone from London or Dublin do in Suffolk country? Go to a diner? Then fight 2 hours of traffic to go to NYC?
    'My idea of a good picture is one that's in focus and of a famous person doing something unfamous.' Andy Warhol

Has to be one of the most foolish ideas ever. What would somone from London or Dublin do in Suffolk country? Go to a diner? Then fight 2 hours of traffic to go to NYC?
    To play devil's advocate for a second.........

Maybe one who has ties in the Hamptons and don't want to fight two hours of traffic and drive the distance out to West Hampton Beach.

Just a thought. And I completely agree thata European route woudn't make much sense, but just thought that I would at least try to justify it if only in the tiniest of ways.
    Steve Furst

View my work @

Furst Edition Photography
    JetPhotos.net

Quote Originally Posted by mirrodie View Post
    This coming from someone who flew them regularly enough to reflect it in his previous license plates.

Honestly, if they can swing service across the pond, then why not? its one added point for the rest of eastern parts of Long Island to bounce from. Must be nice to live in Manorville and take advantage of service that you dont have to trek into Jamaica for.

As far as other domestic service, let the market decide. Right now its geared to Snowbirds.
    Mario please move into at least 3rd gear before responding.... Where did I even mention anything about Southwest?????? The article and comment was about Islip town and Islip in general being foolish in their efforts to lure Intl flights. If the market demanded it the airlines would have it. ISP needs to focus its efforts on more domestic flights with another carrier besides US that will offer viable connections to points further. Hopefully we'll get an ATL flight from Southwest next year.

Also as an fyi ISP can handle flights to Canada now. When you leave Canada you go through customs in Canada vs. in the U.S. All AC flights into LGA do not have their passengers go through customs at LGA. Almost all the major airports in Canada have US customs at the point of departure.

It's less than 1 1/2 on the LIRR from Ronkonkoma to Penn...you get a cheap flight into ISP, it can be more than worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by moose135 View Post
    It's less than 1 1/2 on the LIRR from Ronkonkoma to Penn...you get a cheap flight into ISP, it can be more than worth it.
    How do you get to the train station? Walk? You won't be getting a cheap flight because it can't happen. Which is why anybody not totally insane will just fly into JFk and take the airtrain to the City.

They have a special fare to the train...I believe it was like $5 or something to get to Ronkonkoma...it is on the north side of the airport.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    They have a special fare to the train...I believe it was like $5 or something to get to Ronkonkoma...it is on the north side of the airport.
    I still can't see someone taking a crap LCC to an obscure airfield, then get a cab to take a long train ride. When in reality the amount of people that will have any desire to fly to Suffolk County for the Hamptons or whatever will be so small they won't get the route off the ground.

Easier to go through JFK and if you want some time in the Hamptons the Jitney is much nicer than the LIRR.