Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ISP is really is delusional...

"I still can't see someone taking a crap LCC to an obscure airfield, then get a cab to take a long train ride. When in reality the amount of people that will have any desire to fly to Suffolk County for the Hamptons or whatever will be so small they won't get the route off the ground. "

Isn't this what all of Ryan Air passangers do now anyway, is there a major airport they do fly in to, most of their flights get you somewhere near the city and then its a bus or train ride to the city,
    In that model ISP is perfect for them, supper cheap fare, with no service on board, and then even with $20-25 extra for the LIRR its still cheaper then going into JFK and spending $20-45 to get into the city.
    Overheard on JFK TOWER - S Turns are fine, U-Turns are bad....

Damn why are some people getting angry here over this proposal?

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Damn why are some people getting angry here over this proposal?
    Because its stupid and the Gov't leaders here are barking up the wrong tree. Who here really thinks ISP is going to fill a 737 to San Juan or other like cities? ISP is and always has been and O&D airport its not a connecting point and never will be. What ISP needs is attractive routes at fair prices to hub cities like ATL, ORD, DTW...etc. There are plenty of Global companies right near ISP that are bypassing ISP and going to LGA and JFK. The new model in the industry is relying on alliances partnerships which in the end benefit the customer. ISP has one alliance carrier with very limited and poor service. Companies are just not going to go for that.

I can see Caribbean flights being full out of ISP in the colder months in NY. Having traveled frequently on these out of JFK myself I can see a flight to San Juan or Montego Bay filled on a regular basis. Maybe not a daily service but Bi Weekly may do well.

As for non stops to Europe maybe not so much. As an "East Ender" I would like to see regular affordable service on any airline that isn't named Southwest to places like Chicago, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Detroit, RDU, Charlotte, Miami, Atlanta. Just more "hub" destinations in major cities would be fine.

All in all it's still a pipe dream but I still don't think the drive to JFK is all that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by LIMatt View Post
    IAll in all it's still a pipe dream but I still don't think the drive to JFK is all that bad.
    Especially if you have an early weekend flight.

Talking with several airline managers about ISP most have said the big problem is that ISP still has high landing fees and high rent. If they would drop those some airlines may give them a second thought. With Southwest in LGA and the AirTran purchase the only reason they don't totally pull out of ISP is they would have to report the cost of the terminal as a loss which would seriously ruin their profit streak.
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' "
    Ronald Reagan

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    "Mario please move into at least 3rd gear before responding.... Where did I even mention anything about Southwest?????? The article and comment was about Islip town and Islip in general being foolish in their efforts to lure Intl flights. If the market demanded it the airlines would have it. ISP needs to focus its efforts on more domestic flights with another carrier"

You can't talk about the nutty idea of Int'l service without mentioning hte only carrier that monopolizes the airport.
    And besides, I havent busted your chops in a while.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187