Thread: Congressman Weiner: Concorde-Hater

Congressman Weiner: Concorde-Hater

For years, Congressman Anthony Weiner spoke-out against the Concorde. He tried to get legislation to ban the Concorde from entering US airspace. It worked for a while, as Concorde was banned by the Port Authority. Luckily, it was over-turned in court and the Concorde successfully came to JFK from late 1977 through 2003. Weiner continued his anti-Concorde speeches. He had the nerve to even host a champagne party to toast the final Concorde departure out of JFK. I knew he had mental problems. It turned-out the Concorde did not cause climate change and the sky did not fall. The last straw was when he humiliated me publicly for wearing a NY Yankees jacket (He's a huge Mets fan). Now, we see his true self and his political career days are numbered. Always remember that this guy is no friend to aviation. He saw no beauty in the Concorde; something I cannot fathom. He considered it just a noisy monstrosity. Shame on him.

The Concorde was a noisy monstrosity...and in 1976, when Congress passed legislation to block its landing in the US, Weiner wasn't even in high school yet, so I doubt he had anything to do with it. Right up until its last flight, there were many in the areas around JFK who objected to the noise and were happy to see it removed from service.

And as a huge Met fan myself, I'll often tease someone wearing a Yankee jacket, and have gotten the same back for wearing a Met hat. It comes with the territory in this town, it's not "public humiliation".

Lol, while reading it I was trying to find some truth in it too... It was a noisy airplane, I liked it but can understand why lots of people did not.... REALLY??? We are still upset about the Concorde? A plane that will never fly again?
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird1 View Post
    Always remember that this guy is no friend to aviation.
    He is also very anti-helicopter and wanted all the NYC heliports shutdown.
    Figures he's a Met fan. (couldnt resist)!!!!

loved the Concorde,shared a holding pattern with it over CAMRN,during T-storms in '03, we were at 11k,they were at 10,a thing,a shape of beauty,jets make noise, when they built all of those houses in HObe,and S Ozone park in the 50's,jets were just a rumor, and IDL was a good neighbor, when the 1st generation 707,Cv880/990,VC10,and DC8 screamers appeared enmass in the early 60's it was too late to rezone southern Queens for industry,and families like mine living a mile from the end of 13left were treated to a 500-800 agl high decibel serenade round the clock, I loved it, but I have always been a geek,JFK was,and always will be my field of dreams,and yeah weiner was 8 in '76,i dont think he was against the C bird then,though he probably still hated the Mets.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

Me like the Robert Downey Jr of cooooooookies!
    "We are still upset about the Concorde? A plane that will never fly again?"

Just like an F-14 Tomcat.

Funny but I just brought up a reference to Weiner and Concorde this morning.

On the day of the last flight, a bunch of us hit a diner on Cross Bay Blvd and I recall getting the local Queens newspaper. In it was an article about Concorde's last flight as well as quotes from Weiner. Up until that moment, I never heard from the guy but I remember not liking him due to his quotes in that one article about Concorde retirement. And with a name like his, I remembered him.

Over the last 2 years as I have become more politically aware, Ive seen him in many interviews as he loves a TV camera. He really is an arrogant meshugah.

So while I didnt like his comments re: Concorde in 03, I;ve grown to dislike him in general.
    Highheels and I were watching this last night. I watched it several times, starting at 1:15. I cannot stop laughing as I am absolutely buggered with how WELL he lies, to the extent he extends his arrogance at Blitzer for showing that photo with his smirks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeiIOzFPsqg

He is a seasoned liar. Im absolutely astonished. And his arrogance continues in that he wont step down. Sure, CLinton lied. But he threw the ball, and let it lie, then later had to pony up. Weiner just kept on going for 2 weeks. its amazing, not that he did it, but his cocky attitude to boot.
    And I, I took the path less traveled by
    and that has made all the difference......yet...
    I have a feeling a handle of people are going to be very interested in what I post in the near future.

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=187

I am not upset that the F-14 no longer flys... I do wish it did as it was the best fighter ever built (in my head).

The F-14 was not a failure, the Concorde was

The Concorde was suppose to sell thousands and the 747 was to be a freighter in a supersonic age, the truth is the Concorde never sold 1 aircraft and all the aircraft built were paid mainly by the Goverment and none of the developement costs were ever made back. It was the taxpayers of Europe who paid for the Concorde. The first test airframes were the only ones built...but this turned away from the Concorde...lets talk about my beloved F-14, the Best fighter ever made, shall we?

The F-14 was an early 70's design as Fleet defender, it was made to stop Russian Bears from delivering the Exocet Missile from being launched 100 miles away and blowing up an aircraft carrier and all of its aircraft, saliors and weapons systems. The cost of the aircraft was known and the price for upkeep was expected but was a small price compared to the cost of a carrier. The E-2C was to see the aircraft inbound at around 300miles and the F-14's would scramble and get supersonic and pick up the aircraft on their long range radar when about 200miles from carrier, the Phoenix missile at 1million a piece would be fired when the Bomber was 200miles away from the carrier and just under 100 miles from the F-14. This stopped the aircraft from launching the unstoppable missile from being launched. The Phoenix was able to be launched at the Escoset missile in a last ditch effort of the Russian attack. The aircraft was a complete success as having over 700 aircraft produced here on Long Island for the Defence of the Carrier. Over time it was easier to defend the aircraft carrier with radar computer controlled high speed guns in the ships around the carrier that made up the battle group. Missiles and inbound bomber were no longer a worry as nothing was able to penetrate the guns. THE F-14 was NO LONGER NEEDED for its primary role.

Now they modified the aircraft to be an exceptional bomber and with weapons upgrades it is better than most of the aircraft flying today with the only exceptions being the stealth and thrust vectoring aircraft. The F-14 had 4 to 8 times the cost per hour as a Hornet. It was better as it was more maneuverable, could carry more, could fly MUCH longer, was faster and had much better EVERYTHING, Weapons systems, Radar, Engines, fuel Capacity.... once again, Its Primary role was no longer needed. This is why it was retired.

The F-14 was Beautiful and Graceful, it captured the imagination of all Naval Aviators and many others who flew were in awe of it, Allot like the Concorde, but I do not cry about the F-14 because it was a good decision to terminate the program. I am not happy with the decision, but I understand that its time was up. Concorde was never a success, It was a total failure. It however was the most Beautiful airliner that ever flew and capture the hearts and imagination of all the people who were part of the program, all who flew on her and anyone who gazes up at the sky and dreams to fly. That tho does not make it a success or a failure. The Concorde was a failure and the F-14 was a success....both were magnificent feats of mankind and captured the imagination the way few aircraft do.
    The three most common expressions in aviation are, "Why is it doing that?", "Where are we?" and "Oh Crap".

the Concorde was a thing ,a creature of beauty and grace.it was a work of aerial art and during its tenure left an indelible mark on the history of air transport,in the final reckoning of things,let the accountants deal in dollars and cents, the pilots,the poets, the engineers, and all those blessed to sip champagne while speeding faster than a bullet over the north atlantic will come to a different summation of concordes ultimate value.
    The beehive hummm of the JT9D and GE CF680C2,the thunder of the JT8D-17,the rumble of the PW1830 and the high ,thin whine of the PW 545A are all music to my ears!

I agree with your statement but being that not one aircraft was actually SOLD for its value, it was a failure. It completely failed to reach ANY objective set, did not make up any R/D.

Yes it was beautiful and Yes it touched my heart too...but it did touch the wallets of most Europeans because it was paid for by them and not the airlines. Because it was beautiful, Graceful, Fast and Elegant does not make it a success.

The Concorde was like two F-15s taking off side by side. Ever been to an airshow with a single F-15 taking off? ... what a thing of beauty... I too hate 727s out of 31 or 4 at LGA as they flew over my house... especially late at night! Today some of the remaining MD-80s are still using old engines I guess because they roar just as badly from time to time. But it is MUCH much better today ... I mean a 777 hardly makes any noise.

If you talk F-14, you MUST talk B-1 as it is as badass... and also the F-111, same class! Love complicated swing-wing machines... Come to think of it, speaking of noisy, the B-1 actually [is] two F-15s right? same engines?
    Manny Gonzalez
    Thrust Images | General Photography | R.I.P. Matt Molnar 1979-2013
    BRING BACK THE KJFK/KLGA OBSERVATION DECKS